Sponsored

Are you tired of shifting gears?

Hack

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Mustang, Camaro
Yeah, my mom bought a new VW with a stick last year, age 78. She has no interest in autos, at all.
My mom is also in her 70s and she will only have a manual transmission. She says it helps to burn calories!
Sponsored

HoosierDaddy

Threads
Reaction score
Winchestertonfieldville (ok, Scottsdale), AZ
First Name
Randy
Vehicle(s)
2016 GT Premium PP
Yeah, my mom bought a new VW with a stick last year, age 78. She has no interest in autos, at all.
My mom is also in her 70s and she will only have a manual transmission.
Terrific. Now we'll be hearing the "manuals are for old ladies" excuse.

My wife is the same way (only mid 60s though) but I at least had the sense to not give them ammunition.

Norm Peterson

corner barstool sitter
Threads
Reaction score
On a corner barstool not too far from I-95
First Name
Norm
Vehicle(s)
'08 GT #85, '19 WRX
3) the gt with a10 feels like an old school muscle car and they all had autos- i am talking about the sleepers here like the old catalinas with the huge big blocks. the ride in the stang reminds me alot of them WITH the a10.
I think that maybe a better description than 'muscle' for Catalinas, Bonnevilles, Toronados, 88's and 98's, big Chryslers, etc. might be "gentleman's express". What a typical white-collar worker might aspire to owning, or what a doctor with his own practice would buy on the way to owning a Cadillac, Lincoln, or Imperial.

Norm

Fordever

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Derek
Vehicle(s)
2016 GT/CS Convertible
When I met my future wife (1990), I was driving a 1990 Cavalier Z24 manual. She learned very quickly. Both my kids learned and my daughter wanted a manual as her first car.... still driving it BTW.:handsinair:

For me driving stick just feels better. Driving through mountains with twists and turns while shifting is the best. as far as milliseconds faster for an auto, I couldn't care less.:)

I will never get sick of an MT....:rockon:

Sponsored

OP
OP

Ratfink53

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Don
Vehicle(s)
2018 Mustang GT premium
I think that maybe a better description than 'muscle' for Catalinas, Bonnevilles, Toronados, 88's and 98's, big Chryslers, etc. might be "gentleman's express". What a typical white-collar worker might aspire to owning, or what a doctor with his own practice would buy on the way to owning a Cadillac, Lincoln, or Imperial.

Norm
Don’t forget the Electra 225!

Hashbrownn

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
cars, SUVs & trucks
my next car will be auto/dct. this mustang will be my last manual

aks0605

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Clay
Vehicle(s)
2019 Mustang GT PP1
Had a 17 mt82 and loved it and was face with the same decision after the car was totaled. If you are buying a car for mainly drag strip the A10 will always be faster but if you just race every now and then... then I'd go with what you prefer. I went back with the 6spd for my 19 and have absolutely no regrets because I dd the car and enjoy banging gears to much to go to an A10.

MaskedRacerX

Driver
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
DT
Vehicle(s)
'21_JWS4XE / '21_TM3P
I am, or at least I'm going automatic soon for that and other reasons.

I've been driving manual vehicles for a couple of decades, a few cars that were manual only (Z06, S2K), or opting for the manual when possible (or like my PP car, a package I wanted, requiring a manual at the time), and quite a few I used on track.

Heck, most of my driving is just knocking around town (I don't DD ...), so I'm not particularly motivated to own something that's "easier in traffic", my knees make some terrible sounds :D, but I'm still in pretty good shape, no it's not "medical".

I just kind of want a point-and-go car, that's very consistent, that (OK, so maybe this __is__ laziness kicking in) easy to drive fast or even easier to cruise in around town.

I'm also very motivated to get a car my wife can drive. I have zero issues with her no wanting to learn a manual, and honestly, I'd prefer her to be extremely comfortable using "my" car, but right now, we can't swap rides. She has a Durango RT that's totally badass and fun to drive, AND provides me with the utility when I need that option, but I hate leaving her at home without a vehicle she can use - so I wind up with Ikea desk tops sticking 8 feet out of my back seats :D

I originally scored my '16 GT convertible in a manual, because I wanted the Perf Pack, manually only, now, with an '18+, if I want it again, I can opt for the auto. The new 10-speed auto is also pretty amazing, I mean, the 8-speed in the RT is outstanding, but the Ford tranny is even better.

So my plans are a replacement to my awesome MY16 GT convertible that will be an automatic. FWIW, I'm currently considering both a 18/19 GT convertible and a 17/18 ZL1 convertible. They both share the excellent 10-speed, the ZL1 is simply faster, and more unique OOTB, OEM wheel/tires are excellent, has a few extra perks (slicker top operation), but the newer GT 3rd Gen Coyote is *fast*, especially with a tune+headers+E85, has a slicker dash option, some of the top deficiencies can be fixed via aftermarket, I'm kind of vested in the Mustang scene - one thing I do know, I will not get another black car, seriously, I really mean it this time (being the 4th time I really meant it :) )

JohnD

Legend in his own mind
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2023 Mach 1 track day car
Never get tired of shifting gears. But then again I never drive my pony anywhere but to, from and around a race track. The car I regularly drive on the highway is a slushbox though.....

Sponsored

HoosierDaddy

Threads
Reaction score
Winchestertonfieldville (ok, Scottsdale), AZ
First Name
Randy
Vehicle(s)
2016 GT Premium PP
I'm also very motivated to get a car my wife can drive. I have zero issues with her no wanting to learn a manual, and honestly, I'd prefer her to be extremely comfortable using "my" car, but right now, we can't swap rides.
I hear you. One reason I didn't buy an auto is my wife won't drive one.

Silver Bullitt

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 GT Coupe PP2
I remember when we test drove an automatic with Recaros to see if we wanted those seats. I made some comment to my wife how fast the A10 shifted. She looked at me kind of funny and said, "You wouldn't seriously consider buying a car like this with an automatic would you?" I actually feel sorry for people who have never learned to drive a stick, particularly in a sports car. I just hope they'll put three pedals in my coffin.

MaskedRacerX

Driver
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
DT
Vehicle(s)
'21_JWS4XE / '21_TM3P
I hear you. One reason I didn't buy an auto is my wife won't drive one.
To be clear, she's totally into what I'm into in terms of vehicles, when we were shopping a new SUV, I wanted to go with the RT, she said great - heck she convinced me to do a museum delivery on my Z06 - she has been to dozens of track events with me, hangs out, enjoys seeing me drive.

She doesn't really have an opinion on the transmission - i.e., she gives no f****s :D, she just doesn't know how to drive a manual with complete confidence. This is pretty much being factored in to my next purchase by me, if I said I was buying another manual, a GT350, a Viper, whatever, she'd be 100% behind it. She's a superhero of a wife, mother and business partner, CMU grad, author, surfer, full of Rock and Roll ... but car transmissions aren't a concern for her :D

Tone Everready

Banned
Banned
Banned
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Mark
Vehicle(s)
2016 EB and 2019 GT
I LOVE rowing gears, but I’ll never tire of dead consistent performance at the strip. Gimme a high stall auto any day of the week.

Coyotestang13

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Mike
Vehicle(s)
2013 Mustang 5.0 MT82 3.73
A Mustang for me has to have a manual. If I bought a second Mustang I'd get a new one with 10 speed so the girlfriend could drive it.
Sponsored