Protecting a carbon fiber hood

lsiunsuex

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Mario
Vehicle(s)
2016 Mustang Ecoboost Convertible Premium
So what are thoughts on protecting a carbon fiber hood ?

I have an Anderson Composites hood on its way - https://www.lethalperformance.com/anderson-composites-2015-2016-carbon-fiber-ram-air-hood.html

We were gonna Quartz it as soon we we took it out of the packaging (as soon as meaning make sure it's clean, no finger prints, no wax, etc...)

But should we use that XPel film?

We never did our wing (trufiber) so i'll polish that out and do it also at the same time.

I intend to leave it as carbon fiber - no paint, no wrap. My worry with the XPel is actually applying it. Where the quartz is basically rub it on, then wipe it off, the film is gonna take quite a bit more effort and I just don't want to hire out for it, lol...

edit - plus doesn't the quartz give me UV protection? I know CF is susceptible to breakdown from it
Sponsored

aks0605

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Clay
Vehicle(s)
2019 Mustang GT PP1
Cquartz does indeed give you the UV protection and I'd definitely apply that to the CF parts. With true CF it needs to be waxed after every wash to be maintained properly. Yes you can get away with less but if your a by the book person then every wash. I have not tried this and not sure how it works with the anti static and hydrophobic properties but I have heard of xpel being applied on top of the ceramic coating. The other bit of food for thought is in 2 years when you need to freshen up with another cquartz coat then you would possibly have to remove the xpel.

If you apply cquartz you would not have to worry at all about the maintenance normally required.

aks0605

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Clay
Vehicle(s)
2019 Mustang GT PP1
I didn't think so but I also dont know a whole lot about ppf
Sponsored