Hybrid ceramic wax

Tomster

Beware of idiots
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Tom
Vehicle(s)
'20 RR GT500R(CFTP), 18 OW GT350R Base, '17 AG GT350R Electronics Pack, '97 PG Cobra Convertible
I figured this was applicable to the GT350 section because so many of us use ceramics and other forms of paint protection.

I bought some new ceramic product that Maguires just released. Its a hybrid ceramic wax. For what I am hearing, the application is as simple as washing your car and it leaves a ceramic finish on your paint that last 6 months or so.

Im wondering if anyone has heard of it or tried it yet. I would much rather apply this ceramic myself once every 6 months or so than have to pay someone else to apply a more traditional ceramic like Cquartz.

I plan to apply it to my GT350R's next week, so I'll let you all know what I think after it is done.

G190526HybridCeramicWax_Hero_web.png
Sponsored

1814GT350

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 GT350, 1971 GMC - 1988 GT - 1989 GT Pro Street - 1991 Vert - 1986 Coupe - 1987 Saleen 47
There is a guy on you tube that tested that along with three other products.. Seems to be decent.

I bough the C2V3 to maintain my ceramic.. I put some on my wife's car which is not ceramic coated. It actually worked really really well.

shopping?q=tbn:ANd9GcSG4WnivOmvvcnH_Hh3b6PLKbwZRrFrd7iHFgQNwk29BggbFHABIwU&usqp=CAc.png

rick shea

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Rick
Vehicle(s)
2019 GT350R KR039, Oxford White, Kona matt stripe
I have not heard or used that product. I use a product called Rejex. rejex.com Easy to use and long lasting and can be used on glass and plastic also. I used it on my track car to make rubber debris easy to remove. It comes as a liquid that you apply with a foam pad let dry and then easy to wipe off.
It was originally formulated for use on helicopter engine cowling to cut down of the stubborn engine exhaust residue and to make them easier to clean. I have used it for years on show cars and is a terrific product.

rj45

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 GT350 Magnetic Metallic
I haven't used Meguiar's HCW, but I have used Mother's new CMX. I can't say much about its durability since I've just recently applied it, but it does have a nice look that's very glossy and reflective. Application/removal (which is like a regular spray wax, not like HCW) is easy, too. The only negative is, since it's got SIO2 in it, I won't reuse the MF towels on the paint. If they're cleaned right after application, they may be free of hardened SIO2 particles, but I'd rather not take a chance. I'll just use them for dirty jobs.

Sponsored

SnakeAndSteak

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 Race Red GT350
Meguiar's makes great products, no doubt about it. This product is a nice topper for an already Waxed, Sealed or Ceramic'd vehicle. I have been experimenting with it on my company car as far as longevity is concerned. I would never use it as a stand alone product.

rick81721

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Rick
Vehicle(s)
2017 GT350 LB H6153
General question on ceramic coatings - how long does a professionally applied finish last? The guy I was talking to provides 2, 5 and lifetime warranties based on the number of layers applied.

Kurac

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 GT350 R
I use Reload which is a ceramic coating booster but can be used as a stand alone product. I’ve been impressed thus far. Good reviews on the intrawebs.

Demonic

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Austin
Vehicle(s)
GT350R
General question on ceramic coatings - how long does a professionally applied finish last? The guy I was talking to provides 2, 5 and lifetime warranties based on the number of layers applied.
I used Optimum Gloss ceramic which is a true ceramic coating but can be bought and applied yourself if you're careful and diligent, but doesn't last quite as long as a true professional formula. I first did a minor paint correct with a random orbital polisher, then a prep solvent, then 2 coats of Opti Gloss and a 3rd coat on the bumper. If you make a mistake and let a high spot cure it needs to be polished out with a random orbital polisher. You can't buff it out by hand. The whole process took me a full day in a well-lit garage, but was easier than I expected. I only had two or three high spot cures that I had to go over with the random orbital. I intentionally left one high spot on the hood, knowing only I would see it, and figured it would allow me to see how well the coating wears. It was about 9 months before I could no longer see the high spot, so I think it's safe to say the coating lasted about a year to 1.5 years for me. I'm going to be applying a Gtechniq system this spring and will compare it to the Optimum Gloss. That being said, realize for any true ceramic you can't use many polishes or waxes on top because of the hydrophobic nature preventing them from properly leveling.

I'm a bit skeptical of a spray-on formula lasting 6 months, but if it does that'd be great. I'd much rather spray something on every couple months versus sitting under bright lights with a little sponge leveling ceramic over the entire car.

Last edited:

Colleton

Mustang Fan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 GT500, 2017 Edge Sport, 2013 Focus ST
I paid a detailer to apply a ceramic coating (Ceramic Pro) on my car a little over 2 years ago. He did a fantastic job, and the car still beads water like crazy.

JMO, but I think the products under discussion are probably very short lived in comparison to a normal ceramic coating.

Sponsored

galaxy

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'17 GT350
Huge Adam's fan here.

So the Adam's product is not a hybrid ceramic "wax". The Adam's spray is a ceramic coating and intended to be used as such. It just offers ease of installation at the expense of longevity, but gives up nothing on shine and other charasteristics. As with any ceramic coating, surface prep is key, thus this is not a product you'd want to just spray on and wipe down real quick after a wash. The Adam's product is also not a maintenance product like some products here. Adam's does have their own maintenance product for coated vehicles (it's called Boost). I haven't used it yet (due to winter), but I do have a bottle siting on my shelf right now ready to go. All my vehicles are coated with Adam's traditional (not a spray) ceramic coating. Ceramic coatings are good stuff and just the latest technology in detailing products.

Everyone has their thing they like (wax, sealants, coatings, glazes, etc), but I'll tell you ceramic coatings are like HDR TV's; it's legit technology...it's not a curved TV fad.

Also contrary to popular belief, true ceramic coatings don't have to be professionally installed for $XK. Most OTC coatings may give up some in longevity for ease of application by the D-I-Y'er at home, but it's still a very realistic option. A bit more finicky than just slapping on a coat of wax, yes, but still very workable.

torque124

Torque
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Shelby GT350R
Vehicle Showcase
I have been doing detailing for the past 15 years (had a business for a few years) , and I tried most of products on the market. I have yet to find anything that stands as well as Cquartz to weather, wear and tear. If you apply 2 coats, it will last you 2 years; if you maintain it with Reload every month or so.
I can take detailed pics of my car after 3 years of ownership ... You will never look back.
It's not that hard to apply either, just don't do it when it's too hot (or too cold for that matter).

Venom52

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Dean
Vehicle(s)
21 GT500 CFTP, 23 Durango SRT 392
I used the HCW on my car a couple of weeks ago. Personally i really like it. Water just falls off the car and nothing really sticks to it. Plan to use on my wifes car this weekend in prep for her COTA track day. Just follow the directions and it's fine.

rick81721

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Rick
Vehicle(s)
2017 GT350 LB H6153
I paid a detailer to apply a ceramic coating (Ceramic Pro) on my car a little over 2 years ago. He did a fantastic job, and the car still beads water like crazy.

JMO, but I think the products under discussion are probably very short lived in comparison to a normal ceramic coating.
This guy is Ceramic pro dealer as well. Did you get the bronze, silver or gold treatment?

Colleton

Mustang Fan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 GT500, 2017 Edge Sport, 2013 Focus ST
Can't remember, sorry. I do know that he did both the body and the glass.
Sponsored