Sponsored

V6 - Saving up for Mods, got some questions.

roryedits

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Hunter
Vehicle(s)
2017 Magnetic Metallic V6
Vehicle Showcase
CAI is for sound more than power
Shorty headers are for sound more than power, more of an improvement than CAI for sure
MPT tune is great, make sure to do 93 PRX

3.55 gears puts you ahead of where most of us are to start with!

Throttle body isn't a huge difference, it definitely made it more responsive but not a power gain. Spacer is useless. I would get rid of the stock resonator, saves weight and adds a bit to the sound. Most of the drone complaints come from the muffler choice.

Ported intakes would be better to do than CAI or throttle body.

If you don't have inspections, I'd say do a cat delete.

Suspension sounds good. I personally prefer Linear springs instead of Comfort (progressive). Jacking rails are an optional piece that I don't really see the hype of, my pinch welds have been just fine so far...
I currently have the roush cai, didnt manage to get my car dynoed before hand, but im getting about 13.6 AFR at WOT with it.
Anyways my main question, hows the PRX tune? I have it in my tuner but haven't tested it yet does it give any performance boost over the perf-econ tune? I would assume perf-econ is suppose to perform like the prx when you floor it.
Sponsored

Nagare

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 Lightning Blue V6
Vehicle Showcase
I currently have the roush cai, didnt manage to get my car dynoed before hand, but im getting about 13.6 AFR at WOT with it.
Anyways my main question, hows the PRX tune? I have it in my tuner but haven't tested it yet does it give any performance boost over the perf-econ tune? I would assume perf-econ is suppose to perform like the prx when you floor it.
Never ran the Perf-Econ tune, but from what I've heard it isn't all that great for economy anyways! People say you have to stomp the pedal to get it going which defeats the purpose. Based on that, I'd say PRX is worth giving a shot so you can compare MPG on both and really get the performance feel all around.

roryedits

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Hunter
Vehicle(s)
2017 Magnetic Metallic V6
Vehicle Showcase
Never ran the Perf-Econ tune, but from what I've heard it isn't all that great for economy anyways! People say you have to stomp the pedal to get it going which defeats the purpose. Based on that, I'd say PRX is worth giving a shot so you can compare MPG on both and really get the performance feel all around.
the reason ive been running the econ version is because i only got the base 7.5 tires, and when i initially tuned the car to 93 before the mpt ones came it it would throw enough torque to whip the car when i was feathering the gas. Ill tune it to PRX tonight an look for difference and report back. currently i can drag out about 34mpg at 70

Nagare

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 Lightning Blue V6
Vehicle Showcase
Breaking the tires loose sounds like a good performance boost to me :p

If that is really bothering you (I personally love it on the 1-2 shift whenever I want it), you can ask MPT to dial it back too.

MarkDMKC1974

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Mark
Vehicle(s)
2019 Mustang GT in Shadow Black
Yeah Im a new owner two, only two week old V6 mustang and I LOVE it.

My plan was this list:

BBK Long Tube Headers, Chrome
BBK Catted H Pipe
Borla Touring Catback
MPT Tune/Bama Tune - Havent really decided.

Will I get some good gains here? Will it drone like it does now?

Sponsored

cyclonetron

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Patrick
Vehicle(s)
2016 Mustang v6
Vehicle Showcase

My plan was this list:

BBK Catted H Pipe
Borla Touring Catback

As long as you keep a Borla resonator you should have zero drone

MidwayJ

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Jay
Vehicle(s)
2019 Mustang GT Coupe
Vehicle Showcase

My plan was this list:

BBK Catted H Pipe
Borla Touring Catback

If the H pipe will be a resonator delete it's very possible. Are you saying you have drone now with the stock exhaust? Or did it come with something else?

USMCtoARMY

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Mustang V6 MT

My plan was this list:

BBK Catted H Pipe
Borla Touring Catback

Go MPT. BAMA is awful. BAMA was great before they became part of American Muscle. Their 'canned' tunes are not good.

Your gains with all those MODS will be good. Long-tubes offer the best overall gains, but your losing out going with long-tubes if your not going catless. Just based off people who have run Borlas with CATS your drone should be minimal, but I wouldn't know for sure since I haven't run this setup. I would run long-tubes into two resonator mufflers then into a custom X-PIPE then into your mid-pipes then into two bullet style resonators out to your Borlas. Then get that tuned by MPT. It also would more then likely be would be cheaper then running the BBK Catted H-Pipe, which BTW H-Pipes sound not good on our cars in the high RPMs.

MarkDMKC1974

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Mark
Vehicle(s)
If the H pipe will be a resonator delete it's very possible. Are you saying you have drone now with the stock exhaust? Or did it come with something else?
Are you saying I can get Longtube headers and the Borla exhaust and be fine?

There is a flowmaster axleback exhaust on it from the previous owner. It drones pretty badly. I think is the mufflers. But am definitely not a mechanic.

MarkDMKC1974

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Mark
Vehicle(s)
Go MPT. BAMA is awful. BAMA was great before they became part of American Muscle. Their 'canned' tunes are not good.

Your gains with all those MODS will be good. Long-tubes offer the best overall gains, but your losing out going with long-tubes if your not going catless. Just based off people who have run Borlas with CATS your drone should be minimal, but I wouldn't know for sure since I haven't run this setup. I would run long-tubes into two resonator mufflers then into a custom X-PIPE then into your mid-pipes then into two bullet style resonators out to your Borlas. Then get that tuned by MPT. It also would more then likely be would be cheaper then running the BBK Catted H-Pipe, which BTW H-Pipes sound not good on our cars in the high RPMs.
I have to say, no idea what your talking about. Im nowhere near automotive mechanical, I do work on computers haha.

So let me see if I follow - Dont get the H pipe, get an non catted x pipe? Dont get the catback exhaust but an axleback? Im not sure what this line means I guess:

"I would run long-tubes into two resonator mufflers then into a custom X-PIPE then into your mid-pipes then into two bullet style resonators out to your Borlas."

Sorry Im a dumbass when it comes to this stuff.

EDIT : Also - is American Muscle bad to go through as well? Or just the canned tunes from bama now?

Last edited:

Sponsored

USMCtoARMY

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Mustang V6 MT
American Muscle is fine. I have used them for over ten years no issues. BAMA tunes aren't good for the 3.7L from them. I used to use BAMA before they were bought out by American Muscle and became their tuning house. Since this has happened I have never liked or recommended their tunes.

Nagare

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 Lightning Blue V6
Vehicle Showcase
Longtubes are for max gains, max gains doesn't happen with cats. So the ideal combination would be longtubes into a non-catted x or h pipe (I think the prefab options are only x for our cars) then you need something to fight the rasp (I recommend Magnaflow Tru-X resonator but it might quiet it down too much for you) then you end with the Borlas.

USMCtoARMY was saying to have mid mufflers (something like a glasspack usually) in place of the Tru-X I mentioned and then have inline resonators before the Borla mufflers.

I think I could probably get away with swapping to longtubes and not having rasp worries with my current setup, just not interested in spending that money any time soon.

MarkDMKC1974

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Mark
Vehicle(s)
Longtubes are for max gains, max gains doesn't happen with cats. So the ideal combination would be longtubes into a non-catted x or h pipe (I think the prefab options are only x for our cars) then you need something to fight the rasp (I recommend Magnaflow Tru-X resonator but it might quiet it down too much for you) then you end with the Borlas.

USMCtoARMY was saying to have mid mufflers (something like a glasspack usually) in place of the Tru-X I mentioned and then have inline resonators before the Borla mufflers.

I think I could probably get away with swapping to longtubes and not having rasp worries with my current setup, just not interested in spending that money any time soon.
Ok I understand a little better now. I need to get the Long tube headers, the Borla Catback - leaning towards the S Type now - then a resonator - where does this resonator sit in the whole setup?

So from what Ive seen and researched the Long tubes come straight out of the engine - then connect to the x pipe - then the x pipe connects straight to the catback exhaust. Where would this resonator sit?

And again thanks so much for the information!

USMCtoARMY

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Mustang V6 MT
I have to say, no idea what your talking about. Im nowhere near automotive mechanical, I do work on computers haha.

So let me see if I follow - Dont get the H pipe, get an non catted x pipe? Dont get the catback exhaust but an axleback? Im not sure what this line means I guess:

"I would run long-tubes into two resonator mufflers then into a custom X-PIPE then into your mid-pipes then into two bullet style resonators out to your Borlas."

Sorry Im a dumbass when it comes to this stuff.
I will show this in a picture to help you visualize, give me a few it may take me some time cause I'm at work but I will show you something. Just understand what I am saying is you would buy the parts needed to this exhaust setup but it wouldn't be a complete kit. You would take it down to an exhaust shop and have them weld it and install it for you.

USMCtoARMY

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Mustang V6 MT

I wouldn't invest in it anyway broseph unless you are certain you're going in the ProCharger route cause otherwise when you go FI cause you will just end up ripping it all out lol. It's why I never did.
Sponsored

Last edited: