OP

iBookmaster

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Robert
Vehicle(s)
2018 Ruby Red Ecoboost Premium
Ok, so, I’ll bring in a few YouTube videos. I know, I know, don’t trust them. Anybody can make them but, to a certain degree, I do.

First one is this guy saying EXACTLY what my nephew mechanic says. Yes, your UOA may be accurate info but, nothing beats experiences SEEN WITH THEIR OWN EYES than an real mechanic.

Second one is part of what convinces me clean oil is best. How do you get clean oil? Change it often! This guy says carbon makes our oil liquid sandpaper. I would like to think the filter gets most of it but, overall, I think he’s right.

Third is our old friend, the 51 year old “Grandpa mechanic” Scotty Kilmer! He’s so funny to listen to but, mostly he’s right!

Enjoy!
Sponsored

OP
OP

iBookmaster

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Robert
Vehicle(s)
Here is what some of you extended oil change people say. This one is from Eric The Car Guy.

Faceme

MOCJ JAPAN
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Ryan
Vehicle(s)
'16 GT, Jeep Patriot limited
In japan, they recommend chaning oil every 5,000kilo's which is 3,000miles. Why? cause we have harsh weather conditions (strong seasons) and ALOT of stop&go traffic, traffic lights, etc. I changed it twice a year just to feel safe. My oil life monitor usually still has 40-50% remaining. Doesnt hurt to change it early but yeah if your tight on budget its probably not necessary. GL

Strokerswild

Shallow and Pedantic
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Dave
Vehicle(s)
Things With Wheels
Oil threads always crack me up.

I change my oil in every vehicle at 5,000 miles for the following reasons:
1. Oil is cheap.
2. Daily drivers in MN take a beating, and so does their oil. Especially during our savage winters.
3. My ever-feeble brain knows at a glance of an odometer (no matter which member of the fleet I'm piloting) that an oil change might be imminent.
4. I've built enough engines since the late 1980s to know that oil is cheaper than an overhaul. Refer to #1.

OP
OP

iBookmaster

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Robert
Vehicle(s)
Oil threads always crack me up.

I change my oil in every vehicle at 5,000 miles for the following reasons:
1. Oil is cheap.
2. Daily drivers in MN take a beating, and so does their oil. Especially during our savage winters.
3. My ever-feeble brain knows at a glance of an odometer (no matter which member of the fleet I'm piloting) that an oil change might be imminent.
4. I've built enough engines since the late 1980s to know that oil is cheaper than an overhaul. Refer to #1.

Absolutely! Easy, smart thing to do!

Sponsored

OP
OP

iBookmaster

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Robert
Vehicle(s)
So, I asked a technician what had to be done to their oils to make them SN Plus certified. He said they had to make a chemistry detergent change.

Less calcium
More magnesium

I then asked if their synthetic blend would be ok to run in my Mustang ecoboost. He said yes but won’t last as long as their full synthetic. I asked how should I leave semi synthetic oil in an ecoboost engine? He gave me the generic “go by your owner’s manual”. I said the owner’s manual doesn’t distinguish a difference in oil change interval between the turbo engine Mustang and the V8 Mustang. I don’t think any of the other Ford vehicles manuals do either. He said “interesting”.

So, I said I change my full synthetic Mag1 oil at 4000-5000 miles. Would it be reasonable to say change the synthetic blend at 3000 miles. He said yes. I also asked would you leave any oil in a vehicle for 10,000 miles or more? He said Mobil 1 has claimed they can do it but, I personally wouldn’t. That’s a long time and miles and things get too dirty for me by that time with any oil.

I also asked what are the changes necessary for GF6 certification. He said he didn’t know yet. I said that’s all I need to know for now!

OP
OP

iBookmaster

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Robert
Vehicle(s)
Just call the number on this page and tell them you have a technical question about their oil. That is what I did. https://mag1.com/contact-us/

GregO

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
S550 GTPP
Just call the number on this page and tell them you have a technical question about their oil. That is what I did. https://mag1.com/contact-us/
Liqui-Moly / Motul or Castrol Professional Euro will have the correct answers.
It’s obivious the oils your referencing are typical low to mid range performers.

We’re not even close to being on the same page here.

Last edited:

TicTocTach

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Clair
Vehicle(s)
2018 EBPP
I have nothing to add to this thread beyond the datapoint of my first oil change - in a week or so. I just shipped a sample to Blackstone for a TBN test. I'm not shooting for extended change intervals like I was on my previous DD (Honda Fit), but I'd like to know how well the original fill oil held up over 9,700 miles. Yeah, I feel a little queasy going that long right out of the box, but a pile of reports from Blackstone showed that even though the oil was black, it was still healthy for a 10-12K OCI in my Fit. For ease of maintenance, I settled on a 10K interval for that car - the same interval as the Mustang. The oil I sent in for a sample looked as dark as the 4K mile specimen posted by the OP, but there's obviously no way to compare the actual samples. The oil was used, that's for sure.

For my turbo car, I'll probably run a full synthetic vs. the regular oil I ran in the Fit. I don't know if it's fully necessary, but I feel like the turbo would be happier with higher heat tolerance of the synthetic. I've got some reading to do now...

Sponsored

wildcatgoal

@sirboom_photography
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
TBD
Looks fine. Mag1 is the same as Supertech Full Synthetic (Walmart). It's a good oil -- not the best, but a good oil especially changed at 5K intervals. I used Supertech in many past cars with clean oil analyses every time. In my Mustang, I use 5W40 Liqui Moly Synthoil Premium (purple bottles).

wildcatgoal

@sirboom_photography
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
TBD
Should run synthetic in any car... it's not that much more expensive, especially in the gallon containers. Why not... especially at 10K OCI.

Schwerin

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Mustang
Just want to say, I've never seen ANYONE trust "scotty" hes generally laughed at. I have only see a handful of his videos and I'd never let him work on my car. The moment someone starts citing him as a source of info is when I know the person doesn't know what they are talking about.

Unless your "nephew" also has degrees in engineering and chemistry the fact that he's a mechanic really doesn't mean anything in this conversation. I can walk into a Sunoco and ask their mechanic his opinion and it would be just as valid. He is a Mechanic and he is probably someones nephew. It doesn't mean his opinion has any weight or is correct.

OP
OP

iBookmaster

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Robert
Vehicle(s)
Just want to say, I've never seen ANYONE trust "scotty" hes generally laughed at. I have only see a handful of his videos and I'd never let him work on my car. The moment someone starts citing him as a source of info is when I know the person doesn't know what they are talking about.

Unless your "nephew" also has degrees in engineering and chemistry the fact that he's a mechanic really doesn't mean anything in this conversation. I can walk into a Sunoco and ask their mechanic his opinion and it would be just as valid. He is a Mechanic and he is probably someones nephew. It doesn't mean his opinion has any weight or is correct.
Just wanted to say that I laugh at ANYONE who laughs at a mechanic and thinks their opinion means less than forum members.

Schwerin

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Mustang
Just wanted to say that I laugh at ANYONE who laughs at a mechanic and thinks their opinion means less than forum members.
Name any reason a mechanic would know more about oil than a person that's been changing and working on their own cars for 20+years. They don't have any special "oil training".
Sponsored