Sponsored

Keeping car post warranty... extended warranty a must?

Jetnoise

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 GT Premium PP1, 70 Shaker Mach 1 stroker, 1967 F/B 357W, 1968 302 Vert, 4I 85 5.0 B&M Blower
But why? you get 5 years 36k miles for powertraiin anyway; when you get there, you can extend that powertrain for much less if you still have the car...
You'd think that would be true but it's not. The cost will be higher if you wait till factory is expiring to purchase. You also may have to have an inspection of the car.
Sponsored

Tomster

Beware of idiots
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Tom
Vehicle(s)
'20 RR GT500R(CFTP), 18 OW GT350R Base, '17 AG GT350R Electronics Pack, '97 PG Cobra Convertible
However, as pointed out, you dont have to put a big mileage amount on it.

I think fpa1974 brought it up. That brings the cost way down. If I was going to take the car anywhere long distance (like CA for a PCH driving vacation and a LS track day), I'd ship it there via enclosed transport.

If you are going to DD and keep it a long time (and you can't work on your own car), then The warranty is the way to go.

If a numbers matching drivetrain is important, the full extended waranty might not be the way to go eiher. Have an engine issue? Ford will just replace the long block. POOF! Theregoes your numbers matching rare R collector.

As brought up, they sell wrapper warranties that do not cover powertrain. For someone like me, that might be the way to go.

$$

OP
OP
torque124

torque124

Torque
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Shelby GT350R
Vehicle Showcase
... but the GT350R will never be a collector car... too many made. Prices will dive after a couple more years of production. Who cares if it's the first made in 2015, or last made in 2018... just my opinion.
Some people said the same thing about the V10 M5 from bmw, the 2008 - 2010 models.. plagued with all kind of engine faults. I owned it, and it was a pleasure to drive when working fine. But it will never be a collectible.

Jetnoise

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 GT Premium PP1, 70 Shaker Mach 1 stroker, 1967 F/B 357W, 1968 302 Vert, 4I 85 5.0 B&M Blower
From 69-70 how many were made?
67-68 same question
Gander at what they sell for now vs original sticker?
I’m no nostradamis but predicting the future is not anyone’s forte on this web board

jmn444

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Jason
Vehicle(s)
gt350
I think what they sell for now is quite a bit a function of how much it costs to restore them along with inflation... I've got way more in my '68 than it's worth not even counting my labor...

That said, I would agree that in 50 years though these cars may be worth more than they are now... I can only imagine the cost to restore things that are so heavily electronic though... The vintage stuff is so simple that almost anyone can work on them if they want, the loss of that dynamic could affect the market for these over time.

Who knows... I just want to enjoy them, the smiles & memories are worth way more than the $$$.

Sponsored

Tomster

Beware of idiots
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Tom
Vehicle(s)
'20 RR GT500R(CFTP), 18 OW GT350R Base, '17 AG GT350R Electronics Pack, '97 PG Cobra Convertible
... but the GT350R will never be a collector car... too many made. Prices will dive after a couple more years of production. Who cares if it's the first made in 2015, or last made in 2018... just my opinion.
Some people said the same thing about the V10 M5 from bmw, the 2008 - 2010 models.. plagued with all kind of engine faults. I owned it, and it was a pleasure to drive when working fine. But it will never be a collectible.
Well, I don't agree. A few thousand R's vs 20,000 or so regular 350s. But everyone knows the only difference is a wing, wheels, splitter, some suspension differences and.... uh.... oh yea, a VIN.

I'm sure @PP0001 could give you more specific numbers, but I think the R is a rare car and I would be willing to bet that the R goes away when the 500 carbon fiber track package starts rolling off the line.

Who is to say what will be collectible or not in the future, but I would say that the R's certainly have potential for the ground breaking car that it is and the car that turned things upside down when it was released.

So back to the warranty issue, in no way shape or form would I want Ford replacing my long block when a motor refresh or rebuild would preserve a numbers matching car.

Back to my statement about throwing a C note in a jar each month to prepare for that kind of eventuality.

TomcatDriver

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 GT350 Magnetic w/black stripes
From 69-70 how many were made?
67-68 same question
Gander at what they sell for now vs original sticker?
I’m no nostradamis but predicting the future is not anyone’s forte on this web board
You just have to wait 40 years:). There is no doubt in my mind that if you manage to keep your GT350 in good shape for 40 years it will sell way above sticker, and you probably don't have to wait that long. The real unknown is what the next gen Mustang will be like. If Ford blows it and the 7th gen is seen as a step backwards or sideways (like the Mustang 2) the S550 will be set up as a modern classic. I think it is safe to say that the GT350 will depreciate way more slowly than a standard 'stang, and the depreciation curve will start moving up sooner.

TomcatDriver

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 GT350 Magnetic w/black stripes
Well, I don't agree. A few thousand R's vs 20,000 or so regular 350s. But everyone knows the only difference is a wing, wheels, splitter, some suspension differences and.... uh.... oh yea, a VIN.

I'm sure @PP0001 could give you more specific numbers, but I think the R is a rare car and I would be willing to bet that the R goes away when the 500 carbon fiber track package starts rolling off the line.

Who is to say what will be collectible or not in the future, but I would say that the R's certainly have potential for the ground breaking car that it is and the car that turned things upside down when it was released.

So back to the warranty issue, in no way shape or form would I want Ford replacing my long block when a motor refresh or rebuild would preserve a numbers matching car.

Back to my statement about throwing a C note in a jar each month to prepare for that kind of eventuality.
Heck, they made over half a million '65 Mustangs and V8 fastbacks with partial restorations are selling for $30K. I really don't think there is any doubt that the GT350 and R will be classics, the only real question is when and if you can wait that long. If you're thinking it's going to turn classic in the next 5-10 years, you are wrong. 15-20, maybe, but probably not. 20+, almost for sure.

PP0001

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 CTR LE (126 & 581)
Not here to suggest whether a GT350R will be a collector car or not going forward but based on pure production numbers I would suggest that over time the R models and especially the Base R models have a very good chance of being quite collectible.

I am not sure what your definition of "too many made" means but of the 17699 GT350/R's produced over the last 4 years there were only 2138 R models made which amounts to just ~12% of the total production numbers.

Of those 2138 R's assembled at Flat Rock only 135 of those R's were 920A Base R models which represents well less than 1% of the total production numbers for the first 4 model years and of course as we all know there are no more 920A Base R models being produced going forward.

Given the fact that the GT350R's represent only 12% of the total production numbers for the first 4 MY's along with the fact that they came with CF wheels and CF rear wings, NA engines, rear seat delete, larger wheels and tires, stiffer springs, more aggressive front chin spoilers, larger anti sway bars, etc. only indicates to me that down the road the R models may become very collectible.

Going a step further the very rare 920A Base R models (135 cars including all PP units) came with an additional 12 delete items compared to the Electronic Package R models therefore I would suggest that these Base R models could become the most collectible of all especially the every few Base R's from the 2015MY.

Keep in mind that "F0001" which was the very first R model produced in 2015 and was a Base R model and was painted in Oxford White for the Ford Family.

Also keep in mind that "HR001" was built as an early 2017 pre production car and assembled in very early 2016 for Raj Nair who now heads up the Ford GT program for Multimatic in Canada with his car also being a Base R model therefore suggest that the rare Base R models will be very collectible in the near future.

:sunglasses:
DSCF2179.JPG
DSCF2197.JPG
DSCF2212.JPG

Tomster

Beware of idiots
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Tom
Vehicle(s)
^^^^^
I couldn't agree more. From a warranty perspective, you'd have to be nuts to let Ford swap out either the long block or the transmission (numbers matching components) on an R or especially a base R. A wrapper warranty is more suitable for such a car.

If these cars are not lifetime keepers in your book, then my opinion matters little. Get the full bumper to bumper warranty up to the maximum (96 months I believe).

I don't plan to sell JR357 or HR871. They will never have any monetary appreciation to me because I dont plan to sell. However, down the road, they may be worth something to someone (like family).

I recall meeting a local guy who has an original 65 numbers matching GT350 that his father bought new. He cared for it like I care for mine now. His son inherited it. Anybody know what that is worth now? LOL, that brings us back to the numbers matching point. If it wasn't, it wouldn't be worth as much today.

Drive these cars. Enjoy them. Get the warranty that best applies to your needs and intended use. Me? I feel I'd be wasting money on a bumper to bumper 96mo/125k mi warranty on a 1 of 135 car.
20171212_190155.jpg
20171212_190210.jpg

Last edited:

Sponsored

Jetnoise

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Boils down to did you buy to drive or play the waiting game?
We will all be driving electric cars in a blink of the eye...or a generation of time.
A petro ingesting 32 Valve v8 will be a thing of beauty in a few years.

Rubyred17

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Dan
Vehicle(s)
2017 GT350
Boils down to did you buy to drive or play the waiting game?
We will all be driving electric cars in a blink of the eye...or a generation of time.
A petro ingesting 32 Valve v8 will be a thing of beauty in a few years.
A little off subject but this discussion about rare cars reminds me of all the things I took for granted while growing up in the 70s When shopping for my first car in 1977 I can recall encountering mid-year corvettes, including some 427/435 ones along with late 60s Shelby’s that were just gas guzzling cars that had outgrown their utility and could be purchased pretty inexpensively (except for a 15 year old kid who worked part time at a grocery store). I remember a 69 Boss 302 sitting in a guy’s front yard with weeds growing around it because he could not find a buyer for it.

I personally think these cars will go through a lull period where they lose some of their attractiveness but will then revive themselves

For me, I would like to get my hands on a time machine and some extra cash and transport myself back to those times and snags a few of those that I had to pass on !!!

In the meantime let’s drive our GT350 s !!!!

ace_gt350

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Ace
Vehicle(s)
2017 Shelby gt350
I'm not going to pretend that I know what will/will not become valuable in the future but most cars of today are moving towards small displacement, turbo's, quiet exhaust, automatic transmissions, or just flat out 100% electric.

Our gt350's feel like the last vestige of high displacement, NA, manual transmission, and the loudest exhaust on the block.

these cars are a dying breed. And for all of us, I hope that is reflected in the future appreciation numbers. But until then, let's enjoy them :)

Frank.Herbst

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Frank
Vehicle(s)
2019 GT350
Back to original subject.
I recently extended our warranty out to 8 years. Reason being we only use our Shelby for track days and other car club events. Less than 3k miles a year. So in 5 years we would only have 15k or less miles. We extended our warranty mainly for more time.
If I want to sell early Ford will reimburse part of the money depending on how long we own the car.

key01

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 GT350 now gone to a great home.
I can’t tell you guys how many cars I bought with 12 year/ 12,000 mile warranties way back when.
.....and we LIKED it. Ha!
I do have the 7 year Ford premium care, so I guess I can still learn new tricks.
Sponsored