Sponsored

Dr. Colorchip on Paint Protection Film?

Rash

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Mustang GT Magnetic/Showstopper Red, 401A, Active Exhaust
So apparently something hit my car hard enough to penetrate the PPF and chip the paint. I was wondering if Dr. Colochip is safe to use on PPF?
Sponsored

HeelToeHero

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
17 GT PP, 05 focus st
Probably won't work/stick, and it will look silly. Is the ppf broken in that spot? If it is, it needs to be repaired/replaced by your installer. If it is not the chip was probably present before the film was applied.

FreedomPenguin

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Donald
Vehicle(s)
2017 Mustang Ecoboost Premium, 2013 Scion tC.
Don’t do it. Just don’t
Won’t work

Cobra Jet

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 EB Prem. w/PP and 94 Mustang Cobra
Yea, as others have said - probably have to peel off the PPF and fix the chip, then have PPF reinstalled.

The “repair” over the PPF will not look good; think of it as repairing a nail hole in wood. Use bad filler or not enough and the divot will be apparent once painted over.

HeelToeHero

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
17 GT PP, 05 focus st
Yea, as others have said - probably have to peel off the PPF and fix the chip, then have PPF reinstalled.

The “repair” over the PPF will not look good; think of it as repairing a nail hole in wood. Use bad filler or not enough and the divot will be apparent once painted over.
More like adding wood filler over the paint in that analogy

Sponsored

HoosierDaddy

Threads
Reaction score
Winchestertonfieldville (ok, Scottsdale), AZ
First Name
Randy
Vehicle(s)
2016 GT Premium PP
Maybe go with 2 or 3 layers of PPF this time. I mean since PPF is much more expensive than fixing a paint chip, PPF deserves even more protection than the paint.

limited02

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2012 Lincoln MKS EcoBoost
Post up a picture if you can. If you have a direct shot to apply paint to the chipped spot, I see no reason why you couldn't lightly apply it. Now if you are applying so much that you fill the PPF part as well, then that may not work out so great.
Sponsored