Front Bumper Spray

sagonzal2000

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Sal
Vehicle(s)
2017 GT 350
No flex agents involved with base coat / clear coat on bumper panels. No need if the surface is prepped correctly and you are using quality primer / base and clear coat.

Blends happen because paint ages. UV exposure, polishing, wear etc etc. Not to mention matching (even factory paint codes) depends on temp / humidity etc etc. This makes the newly painted part of the car a different shade than the rest of the car. Especially noticeable on colors with metallic in them.

I've personally painted more than a few rear / front plastic bumper covers and never used flex agents. Some painters use them - every painter I know at large volume collisions centers repairing newer cars do not 99% of the time. But to be clear the flex agents aren't normally in the base coat, they are usually added to the primer or the clear coat.

Urethane based base coats and clear coats rely on a physical AND chemical bond.
Quick question , why do some shops want to blend into the fenders or 1/4 panels when painting bumpers? The bumpers are plastic and I don’t think there would be a true match with sheet metal . Thanks for your expertise!
Sponsored

Dominator961

Banned
Banned
Banned
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Scott
Vehicle(s)
18 GT350R
I can see the recessed area through the stripes. The ''crater' is apparent to me but honestly I'm one of those OCD types. :( It didn't look like the stripeless GT-350's had this dimple. Interesting nonetheless though.
They all have dimples for the plates.

SVTinAR

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Dan
Vehicle(s)
2017 Shelby GT350, 2003 Lightning & ERA FE Cobra
I can't see blending the paint past the bumpers. This new of a car shouldn't affected by paint fading.
Sponsored