Sponsored

GT350 Front Splitter Clearance Issues with new potential home

NoXiDe

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
GT350
Hello all,

I need to run some ideas through your clever minds. I bought a bridjit for the current home that I have and it works well. Flat driveway but the rolled curb get's the front splitter everytime. However, since the bridjit was put in the issue has gone away.

New problem: Home we are considering getting is at a 25* angle which puts the nose of the front splitter on the road. I essentially stopped and didn't go any further. I don't think the bridjit will work. However, I'll be bringing some wood to test it when it's not raining as much to see if that could work cause in theory the bridjit will work too.

I'm not going to run air bags so let's throw that idea out the window. I can try to fix the driveway to make it more flatter but I don't see that playing out well either. It appears to be like pulling teeth to get anyone at the house but I'm aware the minimum cost is $2,500 to do. Sure, gladly will do that for the car to get it into the garage. However, the other option that I can think of is to move on from the house or to uninstall the bottom splitter. Really makes me sad to do that tho... all of this is really just disappointing.

Thoughts?
Sponsored

TomcatDriver

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 GT350 Magnetic w/black stripes
Yea, I have a bit of a scraping problem with a driveway that isn't very steep at all. I ended up using curb cushin (Amazon) which is three sections of thick rubber with holes in them. It comes with a set of 2x6 that you are supposed to screw onto the bottom. I felt like the 2x6 was too big and went with a 2x3 insead. The wood seems cheezy, but you can customize based on your driveway. I still need to paint mine concrete color. The may or may not help you though, since it will depend on the exact angle of your diveway and where your front wheels are at when the splitter is at the lowest point. For me, the real trick is to accept I can't back in (I'm a big proponent of backing in) and I have to hit the driveway at a full 45 degree angle. Even then I will occasionally scrape just a little if I don't get it right.

I also thought about getting "curb ramp" which is a DIY ruberized mixture that you can use to fill in the gap. The problem you might find is the bottom point gutter where the driveway hits the street isn't necessarily the limiting factor, but the overall angle of the driveway.

Also you may want to look at Splitter Guards or similar hardened steel buttons to take the brunt of the punishment. They are a mixed blessing. Sure, they take the hit but they also take 1/4" clearance away.

mavisky

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Kyle
Vehicle(s)
2018 GT350
I feel your pain. I legitimately picked our lot out at the new house and declined some houses when we were shopping for our previous home in GA based upon some of the stupidly designed driveway entrances.

lightrules

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Yes
Vehicle Showcase
I feel your pain. I legitimately picked our lot out at the new house and declined some houses when we were shopping for our previous home in GA based upon some of the stupidly designed driveway entrances.
that is funny. i've thot the same thing. i drive around and notice homes a lot and think, "i'd never buy that home bc of the driveway!" :crackup:

i've got a very slight incline on my driveway but thankfully it only very slightly rubs (i use walmart/amazon "magic sliders" self-adhesive 1" circular pads painted black that act like ZL1 Addons washers, awesome for $8).

sagonzal2000

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Sal
Vehicle(s)
2017 GT 350
that is funny. i've thot the same thing. i drive around and notice homes a lot and think, "i'd never buy that home bc of the driveway!" :crackup:

i've got a very slight incline on my driveway but thankfully it only very slightly rubs (i use walmart/amazon "magic sliders" self-adhesive 1" circular pads painted black that act like ZL1 Addons washers, awesome for $8).
I’ll try those magic sliders! How are you attaching them ? I figure it’s gotta be something really strong to keep them from ripping off right ? Thanks for the idea! I was about to order the ZL1 splitter guards for $40.

Sponsored

lightrules

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Yes
Vehicle Showcase
I’ll try those magic sliders! How are you attaching them ? I figure it’s gotta be something really strong to keep them from ripping off right ? Thanks for the idea! I was about to order the ZL1 splitter guards for $40.
they stick no problem at all. i have 8 attached from the start and none have come off. like someone else here, i spray painted them black first. not necessary though as they are mostly hidden :-> give them a shot.

RugbyRef

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Tim
Vehicle(s)
2019 GT350
Vehicle Showcase
I, too, have a steep driveway at a 13 degree incline. I ended up going with custom-made Race Ramps. I had to take several pictures and provide measurements per their instructions. They sent me the two-piece ramps and I couldn't be more happier. Sucks to have to continually put them in place to go up or down the driveway, but I'll gladly sacrifice a little extra time to avoid scraping the crap out of the splitter...PLUS...I can always use the exercise!

Cheers!

Tim

GTthree50

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Magnetic Grey 2017 GT350
“However, the other option that I can think of is to move on from the house or to uninstall the bottom splitter. Really makes me sad to do that tho... all of this is really just disappointing. ”

Don’t remove the splitter! It provides valuable protection to the painted lower bumper area which cannot bear the brunt of scraping on asphalt or concrete. This is a challenging problem for many of us. My clearance is less than 1/4” and I’ve considered many options. I plan to rent a cement grinder and taking the crown off the transition of the street and rain gutter that seems to be my clearance problem. Still also considering alternate ideas but not committed to any one yet.

firestarter2

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
RR G350 Track
Hello all,

I need to run some ideas through your clever minds. I bought a bridjit for the current home that I have and it works well. Flat driveway but the rolled curb get's the front splitter everytime. However, since the bridjit was put in the issue has gone away.

New problem: Home we are considering getting is at a 25* angle which puts the nose of the front splitter on the road. I essentially stopped and didn't go any further. I don't think the bridjit will work. However, I'll be bringing some wood to test it when it's not raining as much to see if that could work cause in theory the bridjit will work too.

I'm not going to run air bags so let's throw that idea out the window. I can try to fix the driveway to make it more flatter but I don't see that playing out well either. It appears to be like pulling teeth to get anyone at the house but I'm aware the minimum cost is $2,500 to do. Sure, gladly will do that for the car to get it into the garage. However, the other option that I can think of is to move on from the house or to uninstall the bottom splitter. Really makes me sad to do that tho... all of this is really just disappointing.

Thoughts?
I had my driveway redone to reduce the angle. If that is not possible id probably pass on the house I feel like 25% would be a problem with many cars.

OP
OP
NoXiDe

NoXiDe

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
GT350
Yeah, it's cool. We've moved on and are building a brand new home in a brand new community so it should be the best ever as they are dropping the garage to make it as flat as possible.
Sponsored