Banned
Banned
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Scott
Vehicle(s)
18 GT350R
I’m curious. How many of the people giving advice here have actually done any body work or painting?
Because some of the comments here are funny.

I’ve been in the body shop business all my life (family owned body and custom shop of 46 years)

Air pressure
Spray gun tip
Spray gun type, pressure vs HVLP
Brand of paint
Paint thinner used
Humidity
Color variance
Base primer
All effect color matching.

The correct way to color blend is to blend into the surroundings panels. Or depending on the size of the damaged area and the panel being painted.

In this case, the damaged / effected area is near the bumper cover. No urethane bumper cover ever matches the metal or surrounding panel.

Given the size of this panel and the size of the effected area it can be color blended without going into the hood or door.

But to be honest, if this were my car, I’d be pissed and want a new fender.

Black isn’t black
White isn’t white.
There are literally 100s of metallic and non metallic black and white colors etc.
some whites have yellow, blues, reds, and even black in them.

Bladex10

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2003 Cobra
If i was the owner of that car, I want nothing to do with the word "repaint". That car left the factory like that and i'm sure you paid near full MSRP for that car so Ford needs to make it right and replace the whole panel with another oem piece.

TRS7139

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Tim
Vehicle(s)
2017 GT350
I’m curious. How many of the people giving advice here have actually done any body work or painting?

I’ve been in the body shop business all my life (family owned body and custom shop of 46 years)

Air pressure
Spray gun tip
Brand of paint
Paint thinner used
Humidity
Color variance
Base primer

The correct way to color blend is to blend into the surroundings panels. Or depending on the size of the damaged area and the panel being painted.

In this case, the damaged / effected area is near the bumper cover. No urethane bumper cover ever matches the metal or surrounding panel.

Given the size of this panel and the size of the effected area it can be color blended without going into the hood or door.

Black isn’t black
White isn’t white.
There are literally 100s of metallic and non metallic black and white colors etc.

Well actually, I have....everything from acrylic lacquers to current basecoat/ clearcoat, acrylics etc which is why I said initially it is not huge from a pure repair perspective, but I suspect given the question about “ why” the paint failed, either the whole fender or new fender is sure as hell what I’d be comfortable with.
I’m sure you’d agree anything very dark beats anything white/light to color match.

TRS7139

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Tim
Vehicle(s)
2017 GT350
59611EE1-F637-4012-966F-18A2B7D3E440.jpeg
Well actually, I have....everything from acrylic lacquers to current basecoat/ clearcoat, acrylics etc which is why I said initially it is not huge from a pure repair perspective, but I suspect given the question about “ why” the paint failed, either the whole fender or new fender is sure as hell what I’d be comfortable with.
I’m sure you’d agree anything very dark beats anything white/light to color match.
I owned this for 20 years and actually had to respray the front from windshield forward to about the headlight buckets. Required blending in about 4 spots.
All in all I think pretty good for an amateur on a very expensive classic

Sponsored

OP
OP
PhillyShelby

PhillyShelby

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
K
Vehicle(s)
2018 Shadow black GT350
59611EE1-F637-4012-966F-18A2B7D3E440.jpeg

I owned this for 20 years and actually had to respray the front from windshield forward to about the headlight buckets. Required blending in about 4 spots.
All in all I think pretty good for an amateur on a very expensive classic
Want to do mine? Haha

TRS7139

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Tim
Vehicle(s)
2017 GT350
Over and above being a very rare car, it never suffered serious rust nor damage, had all OEM serial numbered panels. For a 1962 car those doors shut like a Rolls, you could go down a country road @65-70 and never hear a squeak or rattle, never should have sold it.

JR369

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 GT500 Iconic

Air pressure
Spray gun tip
Brand of paint
Paint thinner used
Humidity
Color variance
Base primer

Black isn’t black
White isn’t white.
If it were my car, I probably opt to not take the fender off. Might as well have been in wreck as far as another buyer is concerned. Just knowing that I have a great professional paint shop at my disposal that has done a lot of work for me on other vehicles gives me confidence to have a spot like the OP’s spot corrected.

OP
OP
PhillyShelby

PhillyShelby

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
K
Vehicle(s)
2018 Shadow black GT350
If it were my car, I probably opt to not take the fender off. Might as well have been in wreck as far as another buyer is concerned. Just knowing that I have a great professional paint shop at my disposal that has done a lot of work for me on other vehicles gives me confidence to have a spot like the OP’s spot corrected.
Good thought, but I wonder if it will return if I decide to go that route...

JR369

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 GT500 Iconic
Good thought, but I wonder if it will return if I decide to go that route...
No way if done by a competent shop. Seriously that’s competency 101.

Sponsored
OP
OP
PhillyShelby

PhillyShelby

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
K
Vehicle(s)
2018 Shadow black GT350
Update. Ford is ordering me a new fender - after I told them about the new TSB for 18's. Seems like the shop is well run, hopefully they do a perfect job with paint matching - I cant imagine it would be too difficult with brand new paint.

el-guapin

Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.tesla.com
Vehicle(s)
1949 UFO
Update. Ford is ordering me a new fender - after I told them about the new TSB for 18's. Seems like the shop is well run, hopefully they do a perfect job with paint matching - I cant imagine it would be too difficult with brand new paint.
Good for you!.. Now, will this repair be listed on carfax?. Will it affect the value of the car?

OP
OP
PhillyShelby

PhillyShelby

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
K
Vehicle(s)
2018 Shadow black GT350
Good for you!.. Now, will this repair be listed on carfax?. Will it affect the value of the car?
I'm going to document everything. With pictures and service records as to why the repair was made. I'm hoping it will not. I plan on keeping this car for a long time 10+ years. It is not my daily. When all is said in done I would hope the next buyer will agree I made the right decision to replace what was ultimately a factory defect on a brand new vehicle.
Sponsored