Sponsored

going to a trackday with 10% oil life

Walt

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 Mustang Ecoboost MT
This weekend I'm going to the track and doing a 500 miles roadtrip, (to the track and back). The dealer changed my oil at 1300miles (in march 2018) and I'm now at 2400 miles. My Mustang Ecoboost is a garage queen, I usually only drive short trips or cruising in the weekends.

I checked the oil life monitor and it said 10%. I checked the oil level, which was still plenty but the oil has a gas smell, probably because of the short drives. The oil didn't look dirty though just a strong gas smell.

Will I be fine doing the trip and tracking the car or not? I can't make an appointment in time and I don't have equipment to change the oil myself. I know I should've checked earlier but the decision to go to the track was made very late.

I don't want to do any harm to the car I'm willing to keep this car a long time even if this would mean skipping the trackday.
Sponsored

EFI

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
5.Br0
1100 miles on the oil is barely used, and it's been less than a year. I don't put much weight on the OLM system.

Let it rip.

OP
OP
Walt

Walt

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 Mustang Ecoboost MT
1100 miles on the oil is barely used, and it's been less than a year. I don't put much weight on the OLM system.

Let it rip.
Thanks for your input, that's great to hear.

I was just concerned since my oil smells like gas and I've been told that it means the oil is getting old and should be replaced. The dealer also told me that driving less and doing much short trips requires oil changes more often because the oil degradation will be much quicker.

It's about 3 weeks before the oil is a year old.

Cardude99

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Sam
Vehicle(s)
2018 Ecoboost
It's recommended to change it at least once a year. If ur at that point then best to play it safe.

Joe 5.0

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 Mustang GT/PP
Vehicle Showcase

Let it rip.
Yeah, only 1100 miles on the current oil. You’re before the 1 year mark, so you should be fine.

Just do an oil change ASAP post track day.

Sponsored

OP
OP
Walt

Walt

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 Mustang Ecoboost MT
Yeah, only 1100 miles on the current oil. You’re before the 1 year mark, so you should be fine.

Just do an oil change ASAP post track day.
Yeah I was just concerned about the gas smell. I'll be doing 500miles on the highway too so I hope it's fine.

Will do about 1 hour of tracking with 30min in between

ZX3ST

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Mike
Vehicle(s)
2018 GT350, Kona Blue, J3116
My money's on the dealer not resetting the Oil Life Monitor when they changed the oil. It doesn't actually sample the oil, it just monitors driving conditions and adjusts the interval accordingly.

I'd say you're safe, and if the OLM is something you watch, just be sure it's reset every time the oil gets changed. Since you're near the 1yr mark, I'd just change the oil after the event.

You're right though. Short trips are hard on an engine. Fuel dilution is only one problem. I would propose that a good long hot drive should clear most of it.

For a data point, I've been tracking my Focus ST (somewhat similar engine) for the last few years and changing at 5k mile intervals. The OLM always has plenty of buffer left when I change oil. I daily drive that one though.

Shifting_Gears

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Mustang GT
I went 5,000 miles and my OLM was at 53%. OLM’s are for people that don’t understand engines, oil, driving styles and the effects on the first two.

If it were me, I would change the oil pre track activity for three reasons. Your driving style and the length of time it’s been sitting in the pan, and the mileage on the car. While the first oil change probably caught most of the material produced during break in, I would personally feel better having fresh oil.

That being said - you’re almost certainly fine to let it rip as it is. I am just over cautious with stuff like that. I’m the guy that runs a paper towel through his oil funnels and shines a light inside of them to make sure there’s no dirt, debris or otherwise before I fill the car with oil. Lol.

Side note - my OLM had 53% life left after 5,000 mi and I do mixed driving, moreso City. I wouldn’t follow that at all. My GF’s Honda “Maintenance Minder” is actually very accurate and typically falls within the mileage I change her oil at (7k).

OP
OP
Walt

Walt

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 Mustang Ecoboost MT
That being said - you’re almost certainly fine to let it rip as it is. I am just over cautious with stuff like that. I’m the guy that runs a paper towel through his oil funnels and shines a light inside of them to make sure there’s no dirt, debris or otherwise before I fill the car with oil. Lol.
I'm like that too that's why I asked lol. I spend hours cleaning the car and under the hood before taking it in for service to be sure they don't touch everything with dirty hands.

I went to the track day and let it rip, oil still looks clean but has a gas smell like before. I will change it soon along with the tires because there's not much tread left lol.

OP
OP
Walt

Walt

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 Mustang Ecoboost MT
My money's on the dealer not resetting the Oil Life Monitor when they changed the oil. It doesn't actually sample the oil, it just monitors driving conditions and adjusts the interval accordingly.

I'd say you're safe, and if the OLM is something you watch, just be sure it's reset every time the oil gets changed. Since you're near the 1yr mark, I'd just change the oil after the event.

You're right though. Short trips are hard on an engine. Fuel dilution is only one problem. I would propose that a good long hot drive should clear most of it.

For a data point, I've been tracking my Focus ST (somewhat similar engine) for the last few years and changing at 5k mile intervals. The OLM always has plenty of buffer left when I change oil. I daily drive that one though.
He did reset it I checked it after the service and it was back at 100%. My guess is that the OLM is time/mileage based, nothing special.

I went to the track (NĂĽrburgring GP Strecke), and in total drove 500 miles. Mostly highway driving at rather high speeds (no speed limits on the German autobahn). When I got home the oil looked as clean as I've left, but still had the gas smell. I will change it soon along with the tires, as there's not much tread left on them. I'll be bringing my own oil this time instead of their no brand garbage oil that comes out those barrels. I'm thinking to buy some Mobil 1 full synthetic oil.

I know short trips are bad for an engine but I work closeby and don't need to drive often. Not sure if a catch can would help with the fuel dilution? I don't run any mods but I might change the suspension as I'd like to go to the track more often.

Sponsored

ZX3ST

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Mike
Vehicle(s)
Not sure if a catch can would help with the fuel dilution? I don't run any mods but I might change the suspension as I'd like to go to the track more often.
It will help more than you think. PCV side is more important than intake side.

I changed the OEM PCV baffle to one with twice the baffle area, and installed a can. Made a pretty marked difference in my oil analysis reports. Just now noticed you're in Belgium. I think you have access to mountune parts over there? I suspect they have options. Example of what I did on the fofo:
https://www.mountuneusa.com/Breather-Plate-Ford-EcoBoost-2-0L-and-2-3L-p/2363-obp-aa.htm
https://www.mountuneusa.com/Radium-Engineering-PCV-Catch-Can-Kit-Focus-ST-RS-p/20-0315.htm

OP
OP
Walt

Walt

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 Mustang Ecoboost MT
It will help more than you think. PCV side is more important than intake side.

I changed the OEM PCV baffle to one with twice the baffle area, and installed a can. Made a pretty marked difference in my oil analysis reports. Just now noticed you're in Belgium. I think you have access to mountune parts over there? I suspect they have options. Example of what I did on the fofo:
https://www.mountuneusa.com/Breather-Plate-Ford-EcoBoost-2-0L-and-2-3L-p/2363-obp-aa.htm
https://www.mountuneusa.com/Radium-Engineering-PCV-Catch-Can-Kit-Focus-ST-RS-p/20-0315.htm
What's the purpose of a Breather plate? Do I need this in combination with a catch can or is a catch can alone sufficient? I was thinking on getting something like the UPR dual valve catch can, or a mishimoto single valve catch can.
I don't need a tune for the breather plate right?

Shipping parts from the USA to my country is no problem, I'll just use a service like myus.

ZX3ST

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Mike
Vehicle(s)
What's the purpose of a Breather plate? Do I need this in combination with a catch can or is a catch can alone sufficient? I was thinking on getting something like the UPR dual valve catch can, or a mishimoto single valve catch can.
I don't need a tune for the breather plate right?
The breather plate just makes the PCV system more effective pre-catch-can. Not required, but I consider it a good idea. I installed both at the same time so I can't say which is doing the better job.

No tune needed.

UPR makes nice stuff. I went with them on my 350. No experience with the Mishimoto cans.
Sponsored