Sponsored

Open grilles / performance issues?

Aurum

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Mustang GT
Hey all,

Reposting this in in this forum in hopes of getting some expertise.

I'm going to get the RTR (non LED version) grille to replace my OEM. Seems like it has a quality build/finish and stays true to the original design language of the car.

Before I do this I want to make sure of a few things:

(Note I have the GT350 CAI (Performance Pack 2) on my 2016 GT.)

1. Does having extra open verbalization mess with the performance of the CAI or overall engine?
2. Does having radically increased ventilation cause any vibrations or added flex in the hood when at speed?
3. During inclement weather, is there any risk of too much rain getting into the engine bay and messing with the open air-style CAI?
4. The RTR doesn't have any mesh covering the side "windows" - is there any risk when rocks hit that they damage something important in those areas? Is there any issues when washing the car having that space hosed with extra water?

Thanks for your help. I am probably overthinking this. :)
Sponsored

Kinjirra

I R Slow
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Brian
Vehicle(s)
16 Ruby Red GT W/PP, 401a
Vehicle Showcase
Having an open grill can for sure add some flex and movement to your hood. Adjust the hood as needed and or add extra venting or hood pins(if you want)
I havnt had any issues with my CAI. Open grill, Tracspec vents right over the CAI as well so it get plenty of wet. Oiled filter and an outerwears cover and not a single drop of water yet.
That mesh wouldn't stop a rock regardless at speed. So I wouldn't worry about it.

Fluxx

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Devon
Vehicle(s)
2017 Mustang GT
I have the RTR w/ LED grille installed on my 17 GT. So far, no rocks or debris has gotten into the engine bay. As for the rain, you're gonna get water inside the bay no matter what open-style grille you install. But it doesn't create an issue for performance. I haven't had any type of flex or vibrations on my hood since I installed it so I doubt you would. The grille is very durable and is made of thick material. The hardest part of installing it was removing the stock grille. Also, when you are washing with a hose, it won't be any different than washing with the stock grille.

OP
OP
Aurum

Aurum

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Mustang GT
Thanks for the comments. This thread was triggered by a comment made on a Youtube review of the RTR non-LED grille:

"Those with open cold air intakes, may have a problem with the open window that feeds the CAI. I have the Roush and the open window created a good amount of wind turbulence throwing off my sensor. Creates poor drivability at cruising speed. The air fuel ratio was all over the place creating a surging feeling during steady cruise. I had to rig another screen, on both sides to keep them looking the same. Then bought a piece of abs plastic and attached it half the screen, blocking similar to stock. Luckily it looks great and resolved the erratic wind problem in intake. I think if you have a closed intake, you should have no problem but be prepared there is a possibility of this problem with open CAI. Do love the look of the grill tho."

When I contacted RTR they said they haven't reached any reports of the problems described above. I'm probably overthinking this but wanted to double check before taking the plunge.

The grille is the last part for my build.

Cobra Jet

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 EB Prem. w/PP and 94 Mustang Cobra
The only negative to having an “open” style grille is excessive debris/bugs getting slammed into the A/C condenser.... especially if it’s a daily driver.

Other than that seems like quite a few members on here run open grilles.

Daniel82

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Daniel
Vehicle(s)
2023 mustang gt base
Thanks for the comments. This thread was triggered by a comment made on a Youtube review of the RTR non-LED grille:

"Those with open cold air intakes, may have a problem with the open window that feeds the CAI. I have the Roush and the open window created a good amount of wind turbulence throwing off my sensor. Creates poor drivability at cruising speed. The air fuel ratio was all over the place creating a surging feeling during steady cruise. I had to rig another screen, on both sides to keep them looking the same. Then bought a piece of abs plastic and attached it half the screen, blocking similar to stock. Luckily it looks great and resolved the erratic wind problem in intake. I think if you have a closed intake, you should have no problem but be prepared there is a possibility of this problem with open CAI. Do love the look of the grill tho."

When I contacted RTR they said they haven't reached any reports of the problems described above. I'm probably overthinking this but wanted to double check before taking the plunge.

The grille is the last part for my build.
I just had the same problem..I bought a jlt intake and already had the mmd grille...car ran great during wot...but when cruising it surges bad. Can you send me a picture of how you fixed the problem?
Sponsored