Sponsored

The true reason unveild behind Gen3 coyote tick. According to MPR racing engines

Baltimoron

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Dave
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ford Mustang GT Premium
Hey all, I just bought a brand new 2019 GT. Unfortunately hadnā€™t joined this forum until after I bought the car, because it might have changed things for me. I love the car, but I realized pretty much as soon as I got it home that I also have this tick, showing up around 2200rpm and going away around 2800rpms. Since buying, Iā€™ve read a ton of posts discussing the cause and theorizing solutions, but I havenā€™t seen much in the way of course of actions. It seems Ford at this point is largely ignoring the problem and so in that sense taking it in seems pretty pointless, but the car has just over 300 miles on it, so on some level I feel like thereā€™s value to them at least being forced to document the issue. What are everyoneā€™s thoughts on that?

302@12psi

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Kona PP2 Recaros
Hey all, I just bought a brand new 2019 GT. Unfortunately hadnā€™t joined this forum until after I bought the car, because it might have changed things for me. I love the car, but I realized pretty much as soon as I got it home that I also have this tick, showing up around 2200rpm and going away around 2800rpms. Since buying, Iā€™ve read a ton of posts discussing the cause and theorizing solutions, but I havenā€™t seen much in the way of course of actions. It seems Ford at this point is largely ignoring the problem and so in that sense taking it in seems pretty pointless, but the car has just over 300 miles on it, so on some level I feel like thereā€™s value to them at least being forced to document the issue. What are everyoneā€™s thoughts on that?
Do you have the "tick" or the "rattle"?

The tick is typically seen at idle and the sound appears to come from the passenger side of the motor. It is commonly associated with a "type writer" sound.

The "rattle" is common on the Gen 3 (18-19's) and is evident typically at light load and light throttle input between 2500-3000 RPMs.

At the end of the day there have been engine failures and many who have the issue that haven't had their motors replaced. I think it is rather simple that the "rattle" and the "tick" are just how these motors are. A certain amount of them are going to fail regardless.

If you are concerned take it back and document it with the dealer. If there is actual damage to the motor you can get a replacement block or lemon the car worst case. If they call it "normal" you have it documented at your current mileage and if something comes up later that is the mileage they'd use to determine the replacement cost.

My 2019 does it. I haven't driven it in about a month due to the salt and brine Maryland has glazed the roadways with. But the last drive I had it fairly consistently. On the warmer days I drove it I didn't notice it as much. I have the extended warranty for 7/125k miles. If it isn't burning oil, making a worst sound in time, or down on power I'm content just letting it be. I'll mention it to the dealer to document it but that's about it in regards to my expectations.

engineermike

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 GTPP A10
My early 18 has the 2500 rpm light load rattle. Iā€™m at 14,000 miles, most of them supercharged, and it still does it the same. Iā€™m actually a little relieve brand new 19ā€™s are doing it as apparently ford didnā€™t see it as detrimental enough to address.

Baltimoron

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Dave
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ford Mustang GT Premium
Do you have the "tick" or the "rattle"?

The tick is typically seen at idle and the sound appears to come from the passenger side of the motor. It is commonly associated with a "type writer" sound.

The "rattle" is common on the Gen 3 (18-19's) and is evident typically at light load and light throttle input between 2500-3000 RPMs.

At the end of the day there have been engine failures and many who have the issue that haven't had their motors replaced. I think it is rather simple that the "rattle" and the "tick" are just how these motors are. A certain amount of them are going to fail regardless.

If you are concerned take it back and document it with the dealer. If there is actual damage to the motor you can get a replacement block or lemon the car worst case. If they call it "normal" you have it documented at your current mileage and if something comes up later that is the mileage they'd use to determine the replacement cost.

My 2019 does it. I haven't driven it in about a month due to the salt and brine Maryland has glazed the roadways with. But the last drive I had it fairly consistently. On the warmer days I drove it I didn't notice it as much. I have the extended warranty for 7/125k miles. If it isn't burning oil, making a worst sound in time, or down on power I'm content just letting it be. I'll mention it to the dealer to document it but that's about it in regards to my expectations.
I have the rattle. Iā€™m also in MD and havenā€™t driven it much for the same reason. I donā€™t feel like thereā€™s any performance concerns at this point, so I think Iā€™ll just hold off and drive it a bit more when we get some good weather and clean roads before I go through the hassle of getting it to the dealer. Thanks for the response!

Sponsored

Lo Pony

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Take me home
Vehicle(s)
86 GT, red; 88 LX 5.0, black; 95 GT black; 99 Cobra with mods (still own); ā€˜16 GT, PP, manual, Ruby, drivetrain vibration!; Traded for ā€˜19 GT, A10, velocity blue, love it.
Please see my post above. It is normal, apparently, and these cars arenā€™t dying prematurely at 50k miles unless someone is just driving it like a moron, and thereā€™s no cure for the damage that type of behavior will do.

If it revs and makes power, drive it. If it slings a rod, take it to the dealer and get a new engine. If it makes it beyond 60k miles, itā€™s likely that itā€™s fine, no matter how you treat it.

32 valves, 8 cylinders, 16 fuel injectors, 4 cams and a plastic set of valve covers and oil pan. Bound to make some noise. Mine has 5000 miles and has rattled from day one. So did all the other mustangs Iā€™ve owned. This car is really not that much worse. The only thing I can say, is that it uses thinner oil. That actually might be a difference. Please someone try 5W-30 or 10W-30. Let us know.

Drive and enjoy. Donā€™t become one of the neurotic paranoids unless it dramatically changes in character, or you notice a loss in power or smoke coming from somewhere. Seriously. If you feel itā€™s really bad, change to a thicker oil and let us know how it goes. Or take it to the dealership and have them tell you the same thing I did here.

Last edited:

gimmie11s

Banned
Banned
Banned
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Murica!
Just drive it and enjoy. Nothing wrong. The internet, and this forum in particular, will make you an absolute nervous wreck. It's 95% nonsense.

See my comments below.

My early 18 has the 2500 rpm light load rattle. Iā€™m at 14,000 miles, most of them supercharged, and it still does it the same. Iā€™m actually a little relieve brand new 19ā€™s are doing it as apparently ford didnā€™t see it as detrimental enough to address.
Amen to that. I only have 4000 miles, but 1000 of those have been at ~800whp or so. My car has seen the drag strip no less than 75 times boosted and N/A. I literally "broke it in" at the drag strip with 250 miles on it running bottom 12s in 100% stock factory form. Went e85 tune N/A and was going easy 11s at 121+ mph.

Now shes twin turbo'd on e85 and car is an absolute monster.

I had the tick when N/A, but oddly enough it is gone now after the boost tune. I think it's becuase the idle is now ~775-800 rpm vs. the 740-750 rpm in stock form, but it literally DOES NOT tick any longer at idle.

I also have the 2000rpm rattle when shes cold. Once its warm it goes away.

Car has gone 144 in the 1/4 and LOVES the boost and also e85. 12:1 compression, boost, and e85... A trio made in heaven!!

steveo1960

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2003 Mustang
The noise is not just exclusive to modular Fords. Every mustang GT engine since 1986 I have owned has made quite a bit of rattling between two and 3000 RPM. My 86 GT did it, my 88 5 L LX did it, my 95 GT did it, my 99 cobra 4.6 does it, the 2016 GT I had did it, and the 2019 GT does it with 5k miles. If you vary the throttle in that range when the engine is cold, you will notice that the rattle depends on load. This might mean piston slap or bearing clearance. It doesnā€™t really matter unless it is just really loud. Not that some people have very loudly ticking engines. Iā€™m sure thatā€™s true, and that should be addressed.

A switch to 5W-30 or 10W-30 might actually cure the problem. I havenā€™t read back in this thread to see if anyone has tried that, but my guess is that it might stop it. Anyway, with 32 valves, eight cylinders and nearly 500 hp, Iā€™m fine with my engine making a few rattles at low RPM. And I agree with the poster who said that the engine sings up to high rpm very nicely and still makes a ton of power. If it slings itself a part Iā€™ll take it to the dealership. Otherwise Iā€™m happy with it .
My 2003 GT vert with ~170k + miles doesn't rattle and it's never rattled except occasionally on start up which lasts about 3 seconds or so till oil pressure builds up even with a filter that has an ADB valve.. The motor is silent. I don't burn any oil and you can balance a quarter on the engine. I bought the car at 19k miles and have always used Mobil One Full Synthetic 5W-30 and either a Motorcraft 820s or Wix filter. Oil changed every 5k or less. I'm shopping for a 2019 but from what I've seen most sound horrible for whatever reason so I'm reconsidering. I love the 2019's but just don't want a car that lives at the dealer.

Dfeeds

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Dan
Vehicle(s)
1997 Mustang (5.0 HO swap), 2019 Mustang GT PP1
My 2003 GT vert with ~170k + miles doesn't rattle and it's never rattled except occasionally on start up which lasts about 3 seconds or so till oil pressure builds up even with a filter that has an ADB valve.. The motor is silent. I don't burn any oil and you can balance a quarter on the engine. I bought the car at 19k miles and have always used Mobil One Full Synthetic and either a Motorcraft 820s or Wix filter. Oil changed every 5k or less. I'm shopping for a 2019 but from what I've seen most sound horrible for whatever reason so I'm reconsidering. I love the 2019's but just don't want a car that lives at the dealer.
You can't compare the two. Especially with the 2018 and up. The new cylinder liners, alone, completely change the thermal properties with expansion coefficient and rates so it's not hard to believe the hypereutectic pistons are slapping, IF that's the cause. Then there's the DI and 12:1 compression that can be noisy.

On the flip side, Ford's quality is in question. One just has to look at all the lawsuits they've been dealing with to see that.

I'm one of the ones that got a new engine for a legit reason (camshaft damage). Needing a new engine in under 1k miles has tainted the experience, but I don't regret my purchase. I can't even go into a store without looking at it every couple of steps. The car is wonderful to drive, and I feel like I'm always on a fun adventure with it.

The new engine rattles when cold, had the bbq tick (seems to have gone away on its own), and actually sounds completely normal when warm. I was listening to it in the garage, last night, and was pleasantly surprised at how normal it sounded. Plus, bias is a real thing. I've always had a sensitice ear, and rarely walk by a car in a parking lot that doesn't make an odd sound. My dad just got a new Genesis G80 with the 5.0, and it sounds like a rattly tin can at idle. My Mustang sounds healthier, and he's the one with the 100k factory warranty.

The old engine, on the other hand, ran like crap. The car fell on its face at low rpms, was impossible to get a smooth shift in, idled poorly, and had metal in the filter. It sounded better, when cold, but it got worse when warm.

Although, with the next model soon to arrive, anyone thinking of buying right now may be better off holding out, if only just for the discounts of the previous years.

steveo1960

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2003 Mustang
You can't compare the two. Especially with the 2018 and up. The new cylinder liners, alone, completely change the thermal properties with expansion coefficient and rates so it's not hard to believe the hypereutectic pistons are slapping, IF that's the cause. Then there's the DI and 12:1 compression that can be noisy.

On the flip side, Ford's quality is in question. One just has to look at all the lawsuits they've been dealing with to see that.

I'm one of the ones that got a new engine for a legit reason (camshaft damage). Needing a new engine in under 1k miles has tainted the experience, but I don't regret my purchase. I can't even go into a store without looking at it every couple of steps. The car is wonderful to drive, and I feel like I'm always on a fun adventure with it.

The new engine rattles when cold, had the bbq tick (seems to have gone away on its own), and actually sounds completely normal when warm. I was listening to it in the garage, last night, and was pleasantly surprised at how normal it sounded. Plus, bias is a real thing. I've always had a sensitice ear, and rarely walk by a car in a parking lot that doesn't make an odd sound. My dad just got a new Genesis G80 with the 5.0, and it sounds like a rattly tin can at idle. My Mustang sounds healthier, and he's the one with the 100k factory warranty.

The old engine, on the other hand, ran like crap. The car fell on its face at low rpms, was impossible to get a smooth shift in, idled poorly, and had metal in the filter. It sounded better, when cold, but it got worse when warm.

Although, with the next model soon to arrive, anyone thinking of buying right now may be better off holding out, if only just for the discounts of the previous years.
I wasn't comparing them.
I was responding to Lo Pony's post where he stated:

"The noise is not just exclusive to modular Fords. Every mustang GT engine since 1986 I have owned has made quite a bit of rattling between two and 3000 RPM. My 86 GT did it, my 88 5 L LX did it, my 95 GT did it, my 99 cobra 4.6 does it, the 2016 GT I had did it, and the 2019 GT does it with 5k miles. If you vary the throttle in that range when the engine is cold, you will notice that the rattle depends on load. This might mean piston slap or bearing clearance. It doesnā€™t really matter unless it is just really loud. Not that some people have very loudly ticking engines. Iā€™m sure thatā€™s true, and that should be addressed."

That has not been my experience with older Mustangs at all....

Sponsored

Dfeeds

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Dan
Vehicle(s)
1997 Mustang (5.0 HO swap), 2019 Mustang GT PP1
I wasn't comparing them.
I was responding to Lo Pony's post where he stated:

"The noise is not just exclusive to modular Fords. Every mustang GT engine since 1986 I have owned has made quite a bit of rattling between two and 3000 RPM. My 86 GT did it, my 88 5 L LX did it, my 95 GT did it, my 99 cobra 4.6 does it, the 2016 GT I had did it, and the 2019 GT does it with 5k miles. If you vary the throttle in that range when the engine is cold, you will notice that the rattle depends on load. This might mean piston slap or bearing clearance. It doesnā€™t really matter unless it is just really loud. Not that some people have very loudly ticking engines. Iā€™m sure thatā€™s true, and that should be addressed."

That has not been my experience with older Mustangs at all....
Oh, fair enough. My bad.

steveo1960

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2003 Mustang
Oh, fair enough. My bad.
Not a problem at all ! We are both on the same page! I'm just hoping these noise issue's get resolved so I can purchase my next Mustang in peace and enjoy the car. They are such beautiful cars and it's a shame that people are having these problems.

Loki-GT

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Mustang GT Premium A10-3.55-400a
Vehicle Showcase
Honestly, I have not found one that doesn't have some rattle around the 2k mark yet.
Mine doesn't, I don't know anybody more OCD than me when it comes to strange noises, rattles etc... mine sounds the same now as it did almost a year ago when it was new.

Loki-GT

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Mustang GT Premium A10-3.55-400a
Vehicle Showcase
The noise is not just exclusive to modular Fords. Every mustang GT engine since 1986 I have owned has made quite a bit of rattling between two and 3000 RPM. My 86 GT did it, my 88 5 L LX did it, my 95 GT did it, my 99 cobra 4.6 does it, the 2016 GT I had did it, and the 2019 GT does it with 5k miles. If you vary the throttle in that range when the engine is cold, you will notice that the rattle depends on load. This might mean piston slap or bearing clearance. It doesnā€™t really matter unless it is just really loud. Not that some people have very loudly ticking engines. Iā€™m sure thatā€™s true, and that should be addressed.

A switch to 5W-30 or 10W-30 might actually cure the problem. I havenā€™t read back in this thread to see if anyone has tried that, but my guess is that it might stop it. Anyway, with 32 valves, eight cylinders and nearly 500 hp, Iā€™m fine with my engine making a few rattles at low RPM. And I agree with the poster who said that the engine sings up to high rpm very nicely and still makes a ton of power. If it slings itself a part Iā€™ll take it to the dealership. Otherwise Iā€™m happy with it .
Wow, I have had too many to list and not a single one from my '85 Notch 5.0 LX, to my '85 GT through 12 more Mustang GT's up to my current 18 GT and including my 1996 Lincoln 32v 4.6 Mark VIII, no ticks. I'm beginning to think people hear anything "ticky" "rattle" like normal valve train noise or fuel injection ticks/pulses and bam it's an engine tick.

Flare65

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 GT
Late to the party and I don't know if this has been posted yet (too lazy to look at 23 pages of replies), but this ford mechanic may have found the root cause of the tick....

Sponsored