GrabberBlue

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Alex
Vehicle(s)
2017 Grabber Blue GT350
What is Oil Analysis?

A non-destructive way to monitor the health of your engine, oil and the potential for extending oil change intervals (OCI).

Where do you get an Oil Analysis?

Blackstone (Pre-Paid USPS)

$28 or $38 with TBN (Used to determine if you can extend your OCI)

OAI (Pre-Paid UPS)

$32.90 ($27 for Amsoil Preferred Customers)

Why should I do regular Oil Analysis?

Monitor the health of your engine, any spike in containments is a red flag.

Monitor the health of your oil, ensure your oil is properly lubricating your engine.

Extend your Oil Change Intervals, our oil is expensive so getting the most life out of it saves money.

GT350 Oil

The GT350 calls for 10 quarts of Full Synthetic 5w50 that meets Ford's WSS-M2C931-C specs.

The following oils meet WSS-M2C931-C specs:

Motorcraft Full Synthetic 5w50
AMSOIL Full Synthetic 5w50 Signature Series
LUCAS OIL High Performance 5W-50

GT350 Oil Filter

Ford recommends using Motorcraft Filters.

Spin-On Filters (2015-Early 2017)

Motorcraft FL-2069
ULTRA-POWER 51083 (Does not include threadlocker like Motorcraft Filter)

Upgrade your Spin-On Filter to a Canister Filter Kit

Ford Performance Part Number: M-6881-52CA

Canister Filters (Mid 2017-Current)

Motorcraft FL-2062
AMSOIL EA15K43-EA
WIX WL10050-EA
STP S11955
Bosch 3482
PREMIUM GUARD PG8154
FRAM CH11955
FRAM TG11955

GT350 Drain Plug

Ford FT4Z-6730-A
UPR 3025-01 (Magnetic & Turn by hand)

Oil Consumption

Per the updated GT350 supplement the GT350 can consume up to 1 quart per 500 miles. It is recommended that your monitor your oil life every fuel up.

If your engine is consuming more oil than 1 quart per 500 miles it is recommended you visit a Ford Dealership to begin an oil consumption test. The dealer will perform an oil change then mark the dipstick and have you return in 500 miles. The recommended course of action by Ford for a GT350 consuming excess oil is a long block replacement.

While oil consumption can be a bit unnerving an added benefit is that the addition of fresh oil extends oil life.

Post your oil analysis reports below!
Sponsored

Last edited:
OP
OP
GrabberBlue

GrabberBlue

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Alex
Vehicle(s)
2017 Grabber Blue GT350
Changed my Factory Fill at 1,057 miles to AMSOIL 5w50 Signature Series with an AMSOIL Ea Filter. I plan on changing the oil at 10,000 miles and sending it in to Blackstone for a Oil Analysis + TBN to start extending the OCI.
17 GT350-190121.jpg

Sponsored

JAJ

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 GT350 Track Pack
…

GT350 Oil Filter

Ford recommends using Motorcraft Filters.

Spin-On Filters (2015-Early 2017)

Motorcraft FL-2069
ULTRA-POWER 51083

The Motorcraft FL-2069 comes with thread locker applied to keep it from coming off with the vibrations of the FPC.

After-market filters like the Ultra-Power/Wix 51083 may fit, but they may not stay on.

OP
OP
GrabberBlue

GrabberBlue

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Alex
Vehicle(s)
2017 Grabber Blue GT350
The Motorcraft FL-2069 comes with thread locker applied to keep it from coming off with the vibrations of the FPC.

After-market filters like the Ultra-Power/Wix 51083 may fit, but they may not stay on.
I will add that to the original post.

iamevan

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'17 GT350
Thread locker on the oil filter or oil filter housing? I've never noticed it coming with any. Unless I'm missing something..

Sammy

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 GT350
This was my analysys when the car first started using oil. Ford replaced the engine a couple months later after the car was using more than 2 quarts every fillup.
20190220_154847.jpg

JAJ

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 GT350 Track Pack
Thread locker on the oil filter or oil filter housing? I've never noticed it coming with any. Unless I'm missing something..
Look carefully at the threads in the base of the filter. They're red. That's thread locker.

Sponsored

galaxy

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'17 GT350
Funny thing I've noticed, there's been a few people (not in this thread) rambling about how/why they change their oil so frequently because these 5W50's (I think Motorcraft was specifically dimed out) are shearing to a 40 weight almost immediately. I have yet to see an oil analysis posted from our cars where the oil was not within the specs (cSt) for a 50!

Also, TBN is a good tool to order, but you need TAN as well. You can compare TAN to TBN and it is the largest story teller of the life and condition of your oil (combined with cSt). TBN should be higher than TAN. Once those numbers meet (or cross), your oil is dead! But prior to that... Contaminants and particles are great, and they are certainly a piece of the pie, but as for the overall condition of the oil, if it's shearing, can you go longer before a change is needed, and things like that. cSt, TAN, and TBN are the most important parts.

This is the proof. This is the rock solid evidence why 3,000 mile oil changes are silly. It's not even "cheap insurance" as gets thrown around so often. Proof right here from these reports; 3,000 mile oil changes is simply spending money. Now if someone comes back with a report saying 3,000 miles is a good idea, then that's different; that doesn't seem to be happening.

Hack

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Mustang, Camaro
Funny thing I've noticed, there's been a few people (not in this thread) rambling about how/why they change their oil so frequently because these 5W50's (I think Motorcraft was specifically dimed out) are shearing to a 40 weight almost immediately. I have yet to see an oil analysis posted from our cars where the oil was not within the specs (cSt) for a 50!

Also, TBN is a good tool to order, but you need TAN as well. You can compare TAN to TBN and it is the largest story teller of the life and condition of your oil (combined with cSt). TBN should be higher than TAN. Once those numbers meet (or cross), your oil is dead! But prior to that... Contaminants and particles are great, and they are certainly a piece of the pie, but as for the overall condition of the oil, if it's shearing, can you go longer before a change is needed, and things like that. cSt, TAN, and TBN are the most important parts.

This is the proof. This is the rock solid evidence why 3,000 mile oil changes are silly. It's not even "cheap insurance" as gets thrown around so often. Proof right here from these reports; 3,000 mile oil changes is simply spending money. Now if someone comes back with a report saying 3,000 miles is a good idea, then that's different; that doesn't seem to be happening.
I was planning to stay out of this thread, because I have a contrary opinion, but this post drew me in.

I don't think oil analyses are meaningful. They seem like a waste of money to me. Someone posted a bunch of them from earlier Ford engines and that information just solidified my thoughts. I didn't see any patterns in the data that was helpful to me in any way. I think individual operating conditions are so different between owners that there's just way too much variation in the data.

Now if we had a big catalog of oil analyses with very strictly controlled engine operating conditions and dyno reports all along the life of the engines, that might be useful. And then the oil analyses might become meaningful because it might be possible to associate certain contaminant levels with a specific operating condition that could be avoided.

But changing oil frequently - that actually removes contaminants and small particles from the engine. That seems useful to me.

Now if you believe that neither contaminants nor small particles in the oil have any impact on engine life, maybe then you can contend that frequent oil changes are not helpful in any way. I would disagree with you, of course.

I see no harm in oil analyses either, though. Unless you use an oil analysis to decide that you can extend your oil change intervals. Extending oil change intervals is definitely not good for engine life.

OP
OP
GrabberBlue

GrabberBlue

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Alex
Vehicle(s)
2017 Grabber Blue GT350
I was planning to stay out of this thread, because I have a contrary opinion, but this post drew me in.

I don't think oil analyses are meaningful. They seem like a waste of money to me. Someone posted a bunch of them from earlier Ford engines and that information just solidified my thoughts. I didn't see any patterns in the data that was helpful to me in any way. I think individual operating conditions are so different between owners that there's just way too much variation in the data.

Now if we had a big catalog of oil analyses with very strictly controlled engine operating conditions and dyno reports all along the life of the engines, that might be useful. And then the oil analyses might become meaningful because it might be possible to associate certain contaminant levels with a specific operating condition that could be avoided.

But changing oil frequently - that actually removes contaminants and small particles from the engine. That seems useful to me.

Now if you believe that neither contaminants nor small particles in the oil have any impact on engine life, maybe then you can contend that frequent oil changes are not helpful in any way. I would disagree with you, of course.

I see no harm in oil analyses either, though. Unless you use an oil analysis to decide that you can extend your oil change intervals. Extending oil change intervals is definitely not good for engine life.
I have to disagree with your last point. If your own oil analysis comes back at 10k miles with plenty of additive left and below average contaminates then why not? Why waste a oil that has plenty of life left in it?

JAJ

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 GT350 Track Pack
Oil filter or oil filter housing threads?
I'm referring to the spin-on filter that was in production until April 2017. The threads in the center hole are red:

FL2069ThreadsSmall.jpg

The red is a pre-applied thread locker. There's a company called "Vibra-Tite" that makes a compound that looks and works like the stuff in the filter, so you could probably coat your own if you wanted to use another brand.
Sponsored

Last edited: