Sponsored

Whipple oversized heat exchanger

yelloaboost

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 5.0
Hey everyone...I've tried to search but still a little confused. I live in Memphis, Tn so it gets hot and humid here. I am going with the whipple stage 1 kit and will probably keep it at that maybe a pulley exchange. I will not see the track and my car is dd 2015 gt auto with the occasional street race, light to light, etc. So my question is do I need a bigger heat exchanger and which is best the oversized heat exchanger or the dual fans? Thanks so much for the advice.
Sponsored

DavidHuff

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 5.0
Hey everyone...I've tried to search but still a little confused. I live in Memphis, Tn so it gets hot and humid here. I am going with the whipple stage 1 kit and will probably keep it at that maybe a pulley exchange. I will not see the track and my car is dd 2015 gt auto with the occasional street race, light to light, etc. So my question is do I need a bigger heat exchanger and which is best the oversized heat exchanger or the dual fans? Thanks so much for the advice.
I ordered my Whipple Stage 2 kit with the larger upgrade heat exchanger ($400)because I do not want to have to pull my front bumper later..I think it is money well spent and will cost you more later if you decide to upgrade.JMO

keltymd

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 PP
Im outside Nashville and didnt give it a second thought. Money well spent. the fans are nice but about 30Mph or so are useless and then the oversized heat exchanger will really kick in.

monzter

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Rob
Vehicle(s)
17 GT PP
I ordered my Whipple Stage 2 kit with the larger upgrade heat exchanger ($400)because I do not want to have to pull my front bumper later..I think it is money well spent and will cost you more later if you decide to upgrade.JMO
Same reason I went with the upgraded heat exchanger. :thumbsup:

beefcake

Diamond Sponsor
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Ford Mustang
yep, i would just do it and have the extra cooling, never a bad idea, that is if the budget allows,

later on it's 550,and then more work

let me know if we can help wtih a kit for you

Sponsored

tcclindy

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Krazy
Vehicle(s)
2015 Mustang GTPP
I went with the dual fans, I hate how loud they are. My concern is how the oversized HE runs in traffic in the hot North Carolina heat, seriously would like to switch to rid the fan noise.

Anyone down south running this setup? Any issues with overheating in traffic?

ckendri

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Mustang GT
I went with the dual fans, I hate how loud they are. My concern is how the oversized HE runs in traffic in the hot North Carolina heat, seriously would like to switch to rid the fan noise.

Anyone down south running this setup? Any issues with overheating in traffic?
I’m looking to do the same. I hate the noise! I will be experimenting in the next few months, and I am going to do my best to figure out how to get rid of the fans while keeping IAT under control.

tcclindy

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Krazy
Vehicle(s)
2015 Mustang GTPP
I’m looking to do the same. I hate the noise! I will be experimenting in the next few months, and I am going to do my best to figure out how to get rid of the fans while keeping IAT under control.
I thought about putting a thermostat on the fans, letting them kick in when needed, like in traffic. Any idea how to gauge your IAT temps? Let me know what you find out.

ckendri

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Mustang GT
I thought about putting a thermostat on the fans, letting them kick in when needed, like in traffic. Any idea how to gauge your IAT temps? Let me know what you find out.
I will definitely post my findings.

Chainsaw

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
George
Vehicle(s)
2018 GT Magnetic Gray A10, 401A, PP1.
I don't believe there are any fan controllers specifically for intercoolers, they are made for cooling systems. Davies Craig makes one. The minimum temp to turn the fans on is 104 degrees.
https://daviescraig.com.au/product/digital-thermatic-fan-switch-12v-24v-0444

Later in the spring I'll be installing the VMP triple pass heat exchanger with 2 fans. They stay on all the time too, I will be installing a manual switch on the relay on the chassis ground terminal. You only need to run 1 wire from the chassis ground terminal to a switch. The other pole of the switch goes to ground. Interrupting the ground this way turns the fans on and off. I'll turn the fans off and on as needed on hot days by monitoring IAT2 on my Ngauge.

Last edited:

Sponsored

ckendri

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Mustang GT
As far as guaging IAT, I am a little weak. From my understanding we need to look at IAT2? However,
I have a VMP temp sensor which is placed on my intake after the SC. Therefore, my goal would be to keep the reading of this sensor lower.

ugstang17

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
none
As far as guaging IAT, I am a little weak. From my understanding we need to look at IAT2? However,
I have a VMP temp sensor which is placed on my intake after the SC. Therefore, my goal would be to keep the reading of this sensor lower.
15+ setups running an aftermarket tune will monitor IAT. 14 and below used IAT2. So your IAT display on your dash will show you actual IAT at the intake after the IC and not the IAT you are use to seeing from the temp sensor in the MAF. Exception to this would be a Roush package with their flash tune. That device is disabled and a wiring harness splits the signal over to the Tcouple on the SC unit on 15+ cars.The VMP IA kit is PN - 15IATKIT. IT is standard for most SC packages running an aftermarket tune. As I understand it if you are running a Roush package (with their tune flash) their IAT sensor will still work with IAT2 input. For any other package as I am learning more on this the VMP IAT kit is needed and IAT is then tuned via IAT PID regardless of SCT or nGAGE style programmer.

Chainsaw

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
George
Vehicle(s)
2018 GT Magnetic Gray A10, 401A, PP1.

908ssp

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Alex
Vehicle(s)
2015 GT/PP white
Fans only help when standing still they actually hurt air flow when moving. Actual testing shows that the fans can supply about the same amount of air as traveling 10 mph so any time you're going faster than that they hurt air flow.

There are solutions that can drop IATs but they aren't cheap. Larger heat exchanger, larger water lines and bigger pump; plus sealing the gaps behind the grill and serious venting of the hood to allow hot air out does make a difference.

monzter

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Rob
Vehicle(s)
17 GT PP
I live in Miami and sit in traffic going home every day...honestly as soon as the car starts moving IAT's start dropping.

Glad I went with the oversized HE.
Sponsored