Sponsored

Catch can for 100% stock ecoboost

Walt

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 Mustang Ecoboost MT
I've been reading a lot on the forums regarding catch cans, and everyone seems to have a different opinion. Some said it's a waste of money because otherwise Ford would've installed it, others said that it's required but not installed from the factory because it's a high maintenance part...

What do you guys think about it? My 2017 Mustang Ecoboost is 100% stock and I'm not looking to really mod it other than suspension and exhaust maybe. While it might be 100% stock I do drive on the track (road course not a drag strip). Should I get one for a stock Ecoboost or not?

If so which one to get? UPR claims that their dual valve system is the best because it also catches blow-by while in boost. but I read that some people have problems with those regarding vacuum leaks and oily smells in the cabin because of the can not including teflon and worm clamps. The exterior of the cans were soaked in oil, but so far I've only read that on the f-150 forum. https://www.f150forum.com/f7/upr-catch-can-review-what-mess-literally-305986/index2/

Some claimed that the bronze filter media from the Mishimoto one came loose and got sucked into their engines.

There is also the Ford Performance one but the filter media seems to be rather poor.

Conclusion, I'm confused if I should buy one or not. I don't cheap out on maintenance because I'm not looking to sell this car anytime soon. Like I said I do track my car so I might be pushing it a bit harder that most.

Thanks,
Walt
Sponsored

FreedomPenguin

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Donald
Vehicle(s)
2017 Mustang Ecoboost Premium, 2013 Scion tC.
I pick up my 17 EB next week, I’ve done tons of reading decided I’m not putting one on. More than not I read they aren’t worth the hassle either.

OP
OP
Walt

Walt

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 Mustang Ecoboost MT
I pick up my 17 EB next week, I’ve done tons of reading decided I’m not putting one on. More than not I read they aren’t worth the hassle either.
Yeah I was on the point on dropping 400$ (inc shipping) for the UPR one, but after reading some more opinions it seemed to do more harm than good, leaks, can pressurized, etc. I just want to prevent the carbon buildup since this is a direct injection vehicle with no secondary port injection system like the newer designs starting to include. And since there's also no approved cleaning method from Ford and I don't want to loose performance down the road it's hard to decide what's best. I don't drive many miles in this car so it's prob going to be way out of warranty when I ever hit 100k.

FreedomPenguin

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Donald
Vehicle(s)
2017 Mustang Ecoboost Premium, 2013 Scion tC.
Are the 18 ecoboost different design? I thought they had same engine design.

Buy them used on here, I’ve been seeing tons of them for like 170. I had no interest so I ignored the post.

Cardude99

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Sam
Vehicle(s)
2018 Ecoboost

Buy them used on here, I’ve been seeing tons of them for like 170. I had no interest so I ignored the post.
18 is still direct injection only

Sponsored

OP
OP
Walt

Walt

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 Mustang Ecoboost MT

18 is still direct injection only
Yes sorry for confusion, I meant newer direct injection engine designs are starting to adopt a port injection system that sprays some fuel on the valves from now and then. Toyota has them and I believe there was some information about Ford working on it.

KewlWinter

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Mark
Vehicle(s)
2018 Mustang EcoBoost Premium+ Ruby Red
Vehicle Showcase
You can always install a methanol injection system, which will keep the valves clean while giving you a few extra horses. I believe the Snow Stage 2.5 is supposed to work well on our setups.

OP
OP
Walt

Walt

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 Mustang Ecoboost MT
You can always install a methanol injection system, which will keep the valves clean while giving you a few extra horses. I believe the Snow Stage 2.5 is supposed to work well on our setups.
Good point but I'm willing to keep the car stock on the performance part. I think warranty is limited to 2 years so it's almost over but too many people with modded ecoboosts blow their engine eventually and this is my only car thus I cannot afford it to be broken. That's why I thought adding a catch can is something that's quickly installed and shouldn't have any other effect on the car. With methanol you probably have to tune the car right?

BoostedCanadianPoney

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Antoine
Vehicle(s)
2016 Guard EB PP base
I have one and my car is pretty much stock. I have collected around half of a small plastic water worth of bad oil in about 20K miles. Not sure what the implication of that going into the engine is, stuff does look nasty. mine was $100. I think its worth it personally

OP
OP
Walt

Walt

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 Mustang Ecoboost MT
I have one and my car is pretty much stock. I have collected around half of a small plastic water worth of bad oil in about 20K miles. Not sure what the implication of that going into the engine is, stuff does look nasty. mine was $100. I think its worth it personally
Did you have to clean the catch can itself? Any negative side effects you've experienced?

I think I'm just going to get the mishimoto one which is not too expensive, if it works great if not I'll just remove it. The UPR one looks nice but I think it's overkill of a stock ecoboost.

Sponsored

lawrencecar

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 Mustang Ecoboost PP

RedEcoJet

Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.jerryallgire.com
First Name
Jerry
Vehicle(s)
Race Red Ecoboost - Pre-Production #280 Product Planning & Styling Vehicle
Vehicle Showcase
I installed the Mishimoto can at about 15,000 miles (car had 13,000 when I bought). I've now got 115,000 miles. I added a small ball valve on the bottom (there is a pipe plug you can remove) with a plastic line down below so that I can drain when I change oil. I replaced the bronze filter after about 50,000 miles because it plugged up with oily crud. It set a code on the Mustang when it was plugged up. At that time I cleaned out the slime in the bottom of the can. Not a lot, but that's the only time I've had it apart.

Don't know if it truly helps reduce carbon buildup, but the car still runs great. And the red hoses looks sweet. :)

JerryA

3oostdmstng

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Mustang Ecoboost
I installed the Mishimoto can at about 15,000 miles (car had 13,000 when I bought). I've now got 115,000 miles. I added a small ball valve on the bottom (there is a pipe plug you can remove) with a plastic line down below so that I can drain when I change oil. I replaced the bronze filter after about 50,000 miles because it plugged up with oily crud. It set a code on the Mustang when it was plugged up. At that time I cleaned out the slime in the bottom of the can. Not a lot, but that's the only time I've had it apart.

Don't know if it truly helps reduce carbon buildup, but the car still runs great. And the red hoses looks sweet. :)

JerryA
Out of topic here, but since you mentioned that your EB now has 115,000 miles, I gotta ask, since I plan on keeping mine for hopefully 120,000 (I bought my '16 with 10k and now has 55000 - stock). Has the car given you any major issues after, say, 70k? any major work done? transmission & engine still running smooth?

KewlWinter

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Mark
Vehicle(s)
2018 Mustang EcoBoost Premium+ Ruby Red
Vehicle Showcase
Good point but I'm willing to keep the car stock on the performance part. I think warranty is limited to 2 years so it's almost over but too many people with modded ecoboosts blow their engine eventually and this is my only car thus I cannot afford it to be broken. That's why I thought adding a catch can is something that's quickly installed and shouldn't have any other effect on the car. With methanol you probably have to tune the car right?
You don't have to tune with the methanol. The variable controller works with your boost and min/max set points to inject correct amount of methanol/water pre-throttle body. If you want full advantage of extra horsepower due to the cooling effect and methanol bringing your effective octane up 10+ points, then a tune is recommended.

dgc333

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Dave
Vehicle(s)
15 Mustang Ecoboost Premium
I have a UPR can that was on my 15 Ecoboost for 35k miles and has been on my 17 Ecoboost for 26k miles. I check the oil on all my cars once a month and empty the catch can at that time. I have never measured the volume I catch but it is typically about 1/4 inch at the bottom. In the winter it is closer to 1/2 inch but the extra is condensation and I have had to heat the can up to melt the ice when it is real cold.

The can came with very high quality braided hoses. The ends that connect to the PCV valve and intake manifold have factory quick connects crimped on. The other ends have an improved quick connects that are much easier to disconnect than the factory connections crimped on. The hoses are much nicer than anything that requires a screw clamp.

In the 61k miles I have used the can it has not leaked or produced any smells. It takes all of 10 seconds to remove the can for emptying by spinning off the threaded knob that holds it to the mounting bracket. The two fittings and other half of the mounting bracket give you plenty of grip at the top and the can is knurled to give you grip so spinning it off is painless.

The big question is how effective is it at keeping the valves clean? I recently purchased a borescope and when the weather gets warmer I will fish it down the intake and take a look. I will post my results.
Sponsored