Sponsored

Road Trip on FI

96gt4.6

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 GT Premium/A6, 2020 Explorer ST
What? I daily drive my whipple car and can go days without hitting boost...
^ this.

I think they were talking about a blower without a bypass valve. RPM has no influence on boost on most modern p/d blowers, it is load (lack of manifold vacuum) that actuates the bypass valve closed and routes incoming airflow through the rotors. Old school blower setups did not have a bypass actuator so this was not the case.

I do not see boost unless I go around 1/2 throttle depending on gear (load). Otherwise, bypass stays open and no boost or the richer afr that accompanies it.

22-23ish highway mpg here, 12-14ish in town, spirited driving both ways. Highway cruise rpm of around 2500ish I believe, but need to check.
Sponsored

Boduke0220

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 GT PP
^ this.

I think they were talking about a blower without a bypass valve. RPM has no influence on boost on most modern p/d blowers, it is load (lack of manifold vacuum) that actuates the bypass valve closed and routes incoming airflow through the rotors. Old school blower setups did not have a bypass actuator so this was not the case.

I do not see boost unless I go around 1/2 throttle depending on gear (load). Otherwise, bypass stays open and no boost or the richer afr that accompanies it.

22-23ish highway mpg here, 12-14ish in town, spirited driving both ways. Highway cruise rpm of around 2500ish I believe, but need to check.
I could understand that, I guess that's why you see videos of older cars with 671 blowers spinning the tires just idling around ha.

but for real, when my car had the VMP Gen 2 on it, I drove from NC to Florida and I don't think I ever got into boost until race day. just got on i95 and cruised down the coast for 10 hours basically. Ran 165 at the half mile several times and drove back. Luckily the snow was gone when I got back haha
WGF.jpg

SVT-DADDY

World's heaviest S550
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 GT Convertible
Vehicle Showcase
Ok, this actually helps answer my question, I wasn’t really worried about mileage or mpg, I was more worried about any sort of damage to the s/c unit or any drastic wear and tear for a long trip. Going with Paxton btw
The issue is with PD blowers. There are times when I'm pulling a hill at about 70mph @ 1800 RPM, because the load is so high the blower will start making boost.

These kinds of low rpm high load scenarios aren't good for the engine, but the blower could care less.

You won't have that issue with your Paxton, or any other if you install it correctly. I just keep and extra belt with me and the tools needs to change/tighten it if needed.

SVT-DADDY

World's heaviest S550
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 GT Convertible
Vehicle Showcase
I bet a lot of you PD guys using the built in boost gauge would be shocked at when your actually making boost if you used a real... accurate boost gauge.

The gauge that comes with our cars is inferred, and way off.

96gt4.6

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 GT Premium/A6, 2020 Explorer ST
I bet a lot of you PD guys using the built in boost gauge would be shocked at when your actually making boost if you used a real... accurate boost gauge.

The gauge that comes with our cars is inferred, and way off.
Agreed, I have heard the stock 'estimator' gauge is off, and I certainly have no proof less the fact my kit is 9psi advertised with this pulley setup.

I do plan on actually checking the boost pressure before the first track outing, I will do a video of a manual gauge beside the inferred in-dash gauge to show the comparison once all this white stuff melts and the road temps come up a bit....pretty difficult to do anything past 1/2 throttle with these arctic temps!

SVT-DADDY

World's heaviest S550
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 GT Convertible
Vehicle Showcase
I bet you see all of 9psi. I think I made over 12 on the 3.625 with stock cats. Now with no cats and the 3.5 pulley I'm making 14.4!

Good idea on the vid.....the boost comes up so fast you'll never catch peak with the naked eye. Even with it displayed on my Ngauge I swore I was only seeing a max of 11 and change. It's amazing how the boost ramps up from like 6700 on on these cars!

Agreed, I have heard the stock 'estimator' gauge is off, and I certainly have no proof less the fact my kit is 9psi advertised with this pulley setup.

I do plan on actually checking the boost pressure before the first track outing, I will do a video of a manual gauge beside the inferred in-dash gauge to show the comparison once all this white stuff melts and the road temps come up a bit....pretty difficult to do anything past 1/2 throttle with these arctic temps!
Sponsored