Break in driving home on freeway

Tomster

Beware of idiots
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Tom
Vehicle(s)
'20 RR GT500R(CFTP), 18 OW GT350R Base, '17 AG GT350R Electronics Pack, '97 PG Cobra Convertible
Here's what I did with HR361. I bought it in Tampa and took the scenic way home. Bring the wife, stop for a nice lunch, etc. Vary your engine RPMs, no WOT, and just keep rowing the gears. Keep the load off the engine, and every so often (not under load) explore the higher RPMs (again, not under load).

After a few hundred miles, change the oil and get the break in metals out of there.

It isn't rocket science. Just apply common sense.
Sponsored

ClayDee

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
LB 2018 GT350
When I bought mine I had a 250 mile drive back home. Kept it under 5k with just normal driving on the interstate. Drove it pretty much the same until the odometer hit 1k. I have never taken it all the way to red line but it has seen 8k a few times. The GT350 Supplement/Manual states break-in is 100 miles, and not to do any tracking until 1k. Just had my first oil change on Saturday at 1500 miles. Amsoil 5w50 with Motocraft filter. No oil consumption or any other issues.

Last edited:

Speedfreak

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 GT350
I picked up my car from a dealership in St. Louis and drove it home to Orlando in 2017 (1,200 miles). I just maintained different RPM's for the drive. I did not stay at one RPM for an extended period of time (5 mins +/-). 6th to 5th and back shifts every so often helped. I did take the long way with some cool mountain roads. I changed the oil when I got home.

I have no oil issues at all and no valve train noise. 8,000 miles are now on the car with 10+ hard driving track days.

johnny1

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Had new a 16 GT350 and 17 GT350
Yup pretty simple technology if you want the drivetrain to seat in properly. Don't go out there on any brand new car and drive the piss out of it or high rpm. You've got brand new gears in the transmission and differential that need some time to mess in together properly. Were not only talking about the engine here. I know of some that have complained about differential whine on performance cars after awhile. Duh!

galaxy

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'17 GT350
Man I tell ya, people are gonna break one in however they want to, but pay attention to this topic around the forum here--take note of how many folks left the dealer in a wall of tire smoke and went straight to a racetrack and don't have problems and/or oil consumption issues. Just say'n. Draw whatever conclusions you like. Maybe we should start a new thread with a poll on the topic! (kidding...I kid)

What about the first oil change (when and with what)? I do all of my own work, so it isn't a cost issue. But I've read different milage, and different full synthetic vs partial synthetic arguments (at least for the Coyote). I don't want to discuss oil brands (we are close enough to the rabbit hole as it is)
~1,000 miles seems to be the norm, but as like with every other topic, there is no published guidance or requirement. Just everyone's opinions, snake oil recipes, beliefs, and upbringing on engines. I did 1,000. Also, with 5W50 you don't have to worry about semi-syn vs full synthetic; 5W50 only comes in full synthetic from anyone manufacturing it.

Sponsored

mattballislife

Threads
Reaction score
Website
ballislife.com
First Name
Matt
Vehicle(s)
gt350R
I drove mine home from the north Bay Area to Orange County which was over 500 miles. I encountered a mountain (grapevine) before getting into la and I was completely fine. Just FYI.

johnny1

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Had new a 16 GT350 and 17 GT350
Don't need a break pinned thread. Just be patient and do what the owners supplement says. Then if want drive the shit out of it.

Sponsored

Hack

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Mustang, Camaro
I would definitely vary my speed and not just drive 150 highway miles. I would take quite a few (10+) on/off ramps on the way so I'd have a chance to go through the gears multiple times and the diff/CV axles/bearings aren't all running at a single speed during their first few miles of life.

During my break-in I also like to have a lot of full and no throttle operation. However, conditions don't always allow full throttle. Allowing the engine to coast with no throttle also helps to seat the rings, though.

IMO one other thing to really avoid in the GT350 is lugging the engine. Never floor it in 6th gear, for instance. And I try to avoid heavy throttle application under about 3,000 rpm, especially in higher gears. Not really a break-in recommendation, but something to always avoid. Lugging will probably do more damage to a new/cold engine than one that's broken in, though.

OP
OP

64Chevy

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Scott
Vehicle(s)
1964 Chevy C10, 1998 BMW M3, 2008 Lotus Exige 240S, 2013 911 C4S, 2015 Wrangler Rubicon
I would definitely vary my speed and not just drive 150 highway miles. I would take quite a few (10+) on/off ramps on the way so I'd have a chance to go through the gears multiple times and the diff/CV axles/bearings aren't all running at a single speed during their first few miles of life.

During my break-in I also like to have a lot of full and no throttle operation. However, conditions don't always allow full throttle. Allowing the engine to coast with no throttle also helps to seat the rings, though.

IMO one other thing to really avoid in the GT350 is lugging the engine. Never floor it in 6th gear, for instance. And I try to avoid heavy throttle application under about 3,000 rpm, especially in higher gears. Not really a break-in recommendation, but something to always avoid. Lugging will probably do more damage to a new/cold engine than one that's broken in, though.
This is GREAT info. Using the off-on ramp thing is super simple, yet I am super stupid enough to not have thought about it. I also agree that you are "wearing in" more than piston rings. Thank you. And "nastang" this is the reason for this specific thread--in addition to break-in or not, milage, etc. there is also (for those that believe in doing some type of a break-in) the issue of what roads, what driving conditions, etc they have available to them. However, a unified thread where road type, temp, altitude, and all of the potential variables discussed would be a good idea.

Spacebird

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 GT350R
You want the car in compression or vacuum. My recommendation is drive home doing 50-80 mph pulls in 3rd then engine brake back down to 50 and do it again. Do the same in 4th. And just keep that up for a few hundred miles.

OP
OP

64Chevy

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Scott
Vehicle(s)
1964 Chevy C10, 1998 BMW M3, 2008 Lotus Exige 240S, 2013 911 C4S, 2015 Wrangler Rubicon
If a peace officer is following me which one of you is going to pony up bail? Seriously, officer, I'm not on anything I'm just trying to break my motor in.

Hack

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Mustang, Camaro
If a peace officer is following me which one of you is going to pony up bail? Seriously, officer, I'm not on anything I'm just trying to break my motor in.
I agree you have to be careful with the on/off throttle, but I did something a lot like that (just at somewhat lower speeds) when I was breaking my car in.
Sponsored