Sponsored

Ford will offer a third engine (more powerful 2.3L EcoBoost) to 2020 Mustang lineup

Erik427

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
1979 Mustang
2020 Mustang gt gonna have 7.3?
Not in this universe......
Just more track car hype.....
More four banger Ecoboost hype....
Very complex 5.0 if the rumor holds true......

Oh well, we have the aftermarket.
Sponsored

martinjlm

Retired from GM
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 Camaro Fifty SS Convertible
Here's a good question for everyone when Ford did away with the v6 it happened the same time as the refresh. Are we going to get another refresh along with the 350hp 2.3L Ecoboost.
Seriously doubt it, unless S650 (or whatever it will be called) gets delayed again.

Allentown

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Allen
Vehicle(s)
2021 401A Security pckg 20x9 Chrome Wheel Upgrade
Interesting that the 5.0 is rated at the old 435hp and yet they state another 5.0 (with TIVCT.....which the current engine already has!) as TBD.

Be interesting to see what angle they take on this "new" Ecoboost though.
I'll take that as Ford are finally going to offer me the Mach 1 S550 that I want :crackup:

On a slightly more serious note......I can see Ford offering the Bullitt spec 5.0 for the base spec S650 5.0 engine. They did this with the 2008 4.6 Bullitt engine which, two years later, became the base GT engine before the Coyote debuted. I still think (hope) there's life in the Coyote beyond the current Bullitt spec, so I don't doubt a "more complex" 5.0 is on the horizon.......even if that's a distant horizon :)
1) 435hp is probably for the 5.0 F 150 as ill bet the F150 is getting a small bump from it's 395hp to the 435hp rating. (Althought it is TIVCT also).

2) The Standard 5.0 GT will probably get a bump to either 470hp or 480hp and that is why it is unrated. I don't know why this is so difficult for anyone to see. Ford does this with every generational evolution. As i recall the Base GT got the bump in HP to 310 while the bullet was always 315 but in the final year the "track pack" and standard GT (2010) did get 315 but it still did not have the bullet intake, I should know, i owned a 2010 Track Pack GT and compared it side by side to a bullet owner wit the hoods up....i had a more boring stockish looking box and he still had the aftermarket looking CAI even though they were rated the same, i am not sure it ever really was quite as fast as the bullet. So I wouldn't put it at all above ford to do a bump to around the same 480hp but probably sticking with the more stockish looking box just with a different tune file. At around this same time, Ford Performance will likely release a "power pack" for the 2018 to 2019 GT's that will come with the same tune file and possibly something simmiliar while managing to not exactly be the same as the 350GT style intake the bullet has for the power pack buyers for around $1100 or so.

3) I do believe the Mach 1 might actually be the new Hybrid 5.0 which would make probably 550hp when combined with a slightly detuned for better mpg 5.0 that will be one of the big ticket marketing points on the S650 which will likely be a smaller lighter platform that will better compete with the lighter newest gen camaro. It will be an all new body style instead of the re-styles of the last two gens, expect more and more aluminum and carbon parts, more active doo dads like speed activated rear wings and options like magnaride to probably be options on even base model GT's. I wouldn't even be suprised to see adjustable ride height bag style suspension where the car lowers at higher speeds and raises at lower speeds. Also with AWD hybrid type systems in place tq vectoring would be very possible. You are also going to be talking $45k entry into the mustang GT world in the very near future with adding all the doo dads well into the high 50k range....that still won't stop hords of S550 owners from rushing to the dealerships with their check books to get into a new S650 though. You will see a few GT350 inspired aero bits as options on what ever track pack they offer and a hybrid Supercharged version decked out in carbon fiber named "GT500" a bit after that....and that car will probably steal a trick or two from the Ford GT for the marketing hype just before Ford dumps all V8s for the Turbo 6s due to CAFE standards.

martinjlm

Retired from GM
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
1) 435hp is probably for the 5.0 F 150 as ill bet the F150 is getting a small bump from it's 395hp to the 435hp rating. (Althought it is TIVCT also)......
Although this makes perfect sense, remember that the document showing the 435 hp 5.0 is a document specific to 2020 Mustang. That’s why the original note in the OP that it’s adding a 2nd 2.3T. Now the low powered 5.0 with no reference to TIVCT and potential for hybrid have taken over the conversation.

EcoVert

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 Ecoboost convertible
Vehicle Showcase
Seriously doubt it, unless S650 (or whatever it will be called) gets delayed again.
It's quite possible with the s650 not coming till 2023 meaning late 2022 it could happen remember the 13 refresh was for only two model years 13 and 14.

Sponsored

Twin Turbo

Super Moderator
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Paul
Vehicle(s)
Mustang '05 GT
It's quite possible with the s650 not coming till 2023 meaning late 2022 it could happen remember the 13 refresh was for only two model years 13 and 14.
Once news of S650 being a '23MY was announced last year, I did wonder if we'd see another refreshed S550. Ecovert is absolutely right in that we have a precedent set by the '13/'14MY cars.....that was a pretty significant change, at least in terms of looks, and came on the back of the '11/'12MY cars which featured the all-new Coyote and 6-speed gearboxes.

However, given we're only a few months away from the '20MY, any refresh would have to be for the '21/'22MY.......and unless we see camo'd S550 by the middle of the year, I don't think it'll happen. And. Ford are a very different company than they were back in the last years of the S197......and not for the better! On the flip side, with Mustang being one of their key models going forwards (now we know the saloons and hatches are soon to die) you'd think Ford would do all they can to keep Mustang fresh, and another refresh would make sense.

4 years is a long time to expect a refresh to last these days ('18-'22).

martinjlm

Retired from GM
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Once news of S650 being a '23MY was announced last year, I did wonder if we'd see another refreshed S550. Ecovert is absolutely right in that we have a precedent set by the '13/'14MY cars.....that was a pretty significant change, at least in terms of looks, and came on the back of the '11/'12MY cars which featured the all-new Coyote and 6-speed gearboxes.

However, given we're only a few months away from the '20MY, any refresh would have to be for the '21/'22MY.......and unless we see camo'd S550 by the middle of the year, I don't think it'll happen. And. Ford are a very different company than they were back in the last years of the S197......and not for the better! On the flip side, with Mustang being one of their key models going forwards (now we know the saloons and hatches are soon to die) you'd think Ford would do all they can to keep Mustang fresh, and another refresh would make sense.

4 years is a long time to expect a refresh to last these days ('18-'22).
I think you guys have a good point regarding the timing, I was thinking late ‘21 for a ‘22MY, but if it’s late ‘22 for a ‘23 a refresh makes sense. And actually, an engine refresh makes more sense than a body panel or interior refresh because it doesn’t require bending metal and it can carry on into the new model.

EcoVert

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 Ecoboost convertible
Vehicle Showcase
I think you guys have a good point regarding the timing, I was thinking late ‘21 for a ‘22MY, but if it’s late ‘22 for a ‘23 a refresh makes sense. And actually, an engine refresh makes more sense than a body panel or interior refresh because it doesn’t require bending metal and it can carry on into the new model.

A new bumper cover and new taillights are quick and easy refresh heck Ford could just do a new bumper cover.

Derkluge

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Future Mustang Hybrid
Now the low powered 5.0 with no reference to TIVCT and potential for hybrid have taken over the conversation.
Just to spend another moment on the main point of the OP, here’s a thought experiment:

It seems like the two most likely ways Ford may be approaching the second 2.3T are (1) an “SVT” version with the Focus RS engine, or (2) a hybrid version (the easiest of which to implement would be a mild hybrid system with a small battery in the trunk).

In comparison to the base Ecoboost with 310HP/350TQ:
- The SVT version would probably have ~350HP/350TQ.
- The mild hybrid might have ~330 HP/450TQ (I’ve seen mild hybrid systems claim ~20 HP/100 lb/ft torque improvement).

Which of the two would interest you more?

For me, if the hybrid would add less than 150 lbs (most of which is in the back), have a 0-60 in the mid-4 second range, have improved ‘city’ gas mileage, be equipped with the PP LSD and NOT have an infuriating stop/start system, then that’s pretty much my perfect Mustang (other than the V8 sound).

Last edited:

cyclonetron

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Patrick
Vehicle(s)
2016 Mustang v6
Vehicle Showcase
Just to spend another moment on the main point of the OP, here’s a thought experiment:

It seems like the two most likely ways Ford may be approaching the second 2.3T are (1) an “SVT” version with the Focus RS engine, or (2) a hybrid version (the easiest of which to implement would be a mild hybrid system with a small battery in the trunk).

In comparison to the base Ecoboost with 310HP/350TQ:
- The SVT version would probably have ~350HP/350TQ.
- The mild hybrid might have ~330 HP/450TQ (I’ve seen mild hybrid systems claim ~20 HP/100 lb/ft torque improvement).

Which of the two would interest you more?

For me, if the hybrid would add less than 150 lbs (most of which is in the back), have a 0-60 in the mid-4 second range, have improved ‘city’ gas mileage, be equipped with the PP LSD and NOT have an infuriating stop/start system, then that’s pretty much my perfect Mustang (other than the V8 sound).
I think a high revving SVO would be cool. But a hybrid with that extra torque would also be quite nice. How would a hybrid muscle car hold up at the track? More mechanical parts means more chances something could fail.

Sponsored

HoosierDaddy

Threads
Reaction score
Winchestertonfieldville (ok, Scottsdale), AZ
First Name
Randy
Vehicle(s)
2016 GT Premium PP