Sponsored

2018 GT low rpm engine rattle, cylinder damage pics, Ford buyback process

Do you have engine rattle in low rpm range that sounds like mine?

• Yes, but have not taken it to dealer

Votes: 146 42.6%
  • Yes, but dealer said it was normal

Votes: 54 15.7%
  • Yes, Ford approved short block, long block or whole engine

Votes: 22 6.4%
  • Yes, other repair was performed

Votes: 7 2.0%
  • No

Votes: 114 33.2%

• Total voters

Nanashii

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Mustang
My rattle also went from being present only ~2200 RPM when the car was new to 2200-4000+ RPM by the time the original engine had 6k miles on it. I think it probably rattled beyond 4k RPM but at that point the engines noise was masking it. Also, on smooth pavement, the rattle was audible in 4th and 5th gears as well.

I've been watching this thread for awhile..

I have an 18 GT, PP1. My car was bought new last year around this time.
It made the sound in the original video since day one, but it was super quiet originally.

After 5k miles, I noticed it getting louder, specially when the car was cold.

In early December, the car then had 11,500 miles, and the sound was kind of embarrassingly loud, so I decided to take it in.

The dealership I bought the car at, originally said they couldn't hear it. I explained to drive at low RPM's next to a wall with the passenger window down and you couldn't miss it.
They finally heard it and said they needed my stock cat-back in order to touch it, because Ford insisted (whatever). Luckily, I still had it.

After a week, they said they thought the noise was the valvetrain. After inspecting the head, they determined it was in the block. 2 weeks later, they called and said they would be replacing the short block.
The head gasket kit was supposedly back-ordered from Ford and I waited 9 days for them to finally tell me that Ford approved a long block. It was now a month in the dealership and they were still waiting on the block.

I finally got the car back after 44 days.

I was so happy to have it back. But it's been 2 weeks now, and I can hear the same noise coming back at low RPM's. It is exactly the same RPM's as before, between 1,800-2,200.
It's definitely no where near as loud as it was before, but I fear it is only going to get louder.

Something else I notice now, when the car is cold, when I hit around 2,500 RPM's and above, the oil pressure gauge shoots past 80 and looks like it just pegs out. It will continue to do that until I drive it for 10 miles or so, then it returns to fairly normal. I didn't notice that happening before.

Anyway, I am not really sure what to do at this point. I want to put a blower on it, but I am honestly scared to to anything to these motors at this point.

Thoughts?
The best thing to do at this point is lemon the car, get your money back and move on to better things. Quite a few people on the forum have done it already and I am sure a lot more will follow. These new motors are ticking time bombs. You should see how many paragraphs the tech wrote in my service ticket to describe all the internal damage he found when tearing into the motor to diagnose the rattle...:facepalm:
Sponsored

Last edited:

EVL-S550

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Mustang GT
I'm starting to think all might be fine. Sure there are some bad engines, but the Gen 3 is used in the F-150 also and none seem to have it other than the cam phaser TSB. Ford also sells way more F-150's than Mustangs and a huge chunk of those are the 5.0. It's the number 1 selling vehicle in the US, not just truck. Since we're not seeing F-150 5.0 replacement threads or videos like we have, I'm starting to think it's fine. If the engine was bad en masse, we'd see way more press about it.

Jetnoise

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 GT Premium PP1, 70 Shaker Mach 1 stroker, 1967 F/B 357W, 1968 302 Vert, 4I 85 5.0 B&M Blower
My rattle also went from being present only ~2200 RPM when the car was new to 2200-4000+ RPM by the time the original engine had 6k miles on it. I think it probably rattled beyond 4k RPM but at that point the engines noise was masking it. Also, on smooth pavement, the rattle was audible in 4th and 5th gears as well.

The best thing to do at this point is lemon the car, get your money back and move on to better things. Quite a few people on the forum have done it already and I am sure a lot more will follow. These new motors are ticking time bombs. You should see how many paragraphs the tech wrote in my service ticket to describe all the internal damage he found when tearing into the motor to diagnose the rattle...:facepalm:
Can you post a copy of the "tech ticket"

_dEf_

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Josh
Vehicle(s)
2018 Mustang GT PP1
I'm starting to think all might be fine. Sure there are some bad engines, but the Gen 3 is used in the F-150 also and none seem to have it other than the cam phaser TSB. Ford also sells way more F-150's than Mustangs and a huge chunk of those are the 5.0. It's the number 1 selling vehicle in the US, not just truck. Since we're not seeing F-150 5.0 replacement threads or videos like we have, I'm starting to think it's fine. If the engine was bad en masse, we'd see way more press about it.
I wouldn't be so sure..

VHGApFB.jpg

EVL-S550

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Mustang GT
I wouldn't be so sure..

VHGApFB.jpg
Have you read those threads? I also have an F-150 so I'm on those boards. I have read them and no one says they have had their engine replaced. It's all from the phasers TSB or the standard tick.

Sponsored

_dEf_

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Josh
Vehicle(s)
2018 Mustang GT PP1
Have you read those threads? I also have an F-150 so I'm on those boards. I have read them and no one says they have had their engine replaced. It's all from the phasers TSB or the standard tick.
lol, no i just googled. If it wasn't an issue, I don't think Ford would be replacing short/long blocks or doing buybacks. That's all I'm saying

EVL-S550

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Mustang GT
lol, no i just googled. If it wasn't an issue, I don't think Ford would be replacing short/long blocks or doing buybacks. That's all I'm saying
Parts are frequently back ordered and the replacement engines keep doing it. A handful of block replacements and/or buy backs, even it was a hundred or so is like flipping a nickel into the ocean for Ford. If I want my car bought back I'm sure I could be enough of a squeaky wheel to get it done. Dealers don't care, they already were paid on the sale of the car. That said, this whole thing sucks to even have to be talking about it. Ford should come out with something about it since the Mustang is their icon. Not holding my breath though.

Andy13186

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Mustang GT 10speed Aluminator Whippled
My dealer replaced exhaust cam phasers for this rattle and the flutter noise. Made absolutely no difference. Ceratec also didnt fix this one but it did fix the bbq tapping for me. 5w30 and mos2 also didnt fix this or the flutter when letting off the throttle and on light revs.

_dEf_

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Josh
Vehicle(s)
2018 Mustang GT PP1
Was listening closely today for the sound. It's definitely more noticeable when it's cold. But I can hear it at right about 2k rpm's, and only when accelerating. It doesn't do it if you just hold a steady RPM.

It kind of sounds like a diesel. :(

Rash

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Mustang GT Magnetic/Showstopper Red, 401A, Active Exhaust
Was listening closely today for the sound. It's definitely more noticeable when it's cold. But I can hear it at right about 2k rpm's, and only when accelerating. It doesn't do it if you just hold a steady RPM.

It kind of sounds like a diesel. :(
Mine does it while holding steady rpm as well.

Sponsored

d1zguy

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
19' Mustang GT 401a MT82
mine has the 2k piston slap only when dead cold once warmed up no noises are heard beyond the DI injectors when active. But I am only at 700 miles on the car.

_dEf_

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Josh
Vehicle(s)
2018 Mustang GT PP1
mine has the 2k piston slap only when dead cold once warmed up no noises are heard beyond the DI injectors when active. But I am only at 700 miles on the car.
That's how my original motor was. Only did it when cold. Then as the miles got up, it got louder and louder.

d1zguy

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
19' Mustang GT 401a MT82
That's how my original motor was. Only did it when cold. Then as the miles got up, it got louder and louder.
Well if my car goes the way of the OP I will definitely push for buyback and buy a Chevy LS engine car instead. Shame thought I love the car and it's engine but looks like it won't even last past 1500 miles. I won't accept warranty work long or short block on a new car! ridiculous. full refund minus mileage is what is due. Ford should just install Chevy engines in the mustang and call it a day. I preferred the Mustang design and that is why I bought one. Camaro looks like poop to me. challenger and charger are just way too big for my tastes

I re-watched the OP's videos and that's how mine sounds when cold. Not when warm though.

d1zguy

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
19' Mustang GT 401a MT82
Just wait for 2019 to drop. You get rev-match, killer B&O play system! Plus im sure by then ford will sort the issues out.
lol thats what I just picked up and it has the 2k rattle when cold. lets hope it doesn't progress to OP's or when warm too

_dEf_

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Josh
Vehicle(s)
2018 Mustang GT PP1
Taking mine back to the dealership on Thursday. We'll see what they say this time.
Sponsored