Sponsored

Mechanical Car Washes: Who uses them and how does the S550 fare?

Cobra Jet

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 EB Prem. w/PP and 94 Mustang Cobra
Yes, I know this maybe blasphemy, but I was wondering who has taken or does take their S550 through a mechanical car wash?

This may be a good thread for those in regions where harsh winter conditions exist and the owner either does not have the facilities to wash indoors or can’t due to extreme exterior temps that are below freezing.

Questions:
1) Is the factory front splitter too low or are there any concerns about it getting damaged?

2) For those with black rims, any issues with the car wash guide rails - such as scrapes, scuffs, or guides possibly rubbing the wheels as car is moved along?
Sponsored

69mach1-395

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 RR GT/CS
Find yourself a touchless car wash on a nice day and finish drying it by hand. I only use this when the car is just dusty. I hand dry all the black parts first, then the glass, then any water on the rest of the car. Then at home, leaf blow any water holders.
An at home hand wash is the way to go unless it's too cold.

Last edited:

Ron

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Ron
Vehicle(s)
2019 Mustang GT PP2
Yes, I know this maybe blasphemy, but I was wondering who has taken or does take their S550 thru a mechanical car wash? This may be a good thread for those in regions where harsh winter conditions exist & the owner either does not have the facilities to wash indoors or can’t due to extreme exterior temps that are below freezing.

Questions:
1) Is the factory front splitter too low or are there any concerns about it getting damaged?

2) For those w/black rims, any issues w/the car wash guide rails - such as scrapes, scuffs, or guides possibly rubbing the wheels as car is moved along?
Without a doubt, hand washing is the way to go. However, w/that said, I have a 2019 PP2 w/Steeda springs (555-8243) & 325/30x19 tires on the backside. My local car wash worked w/me to check clearances before committing to that 1st wash & everything cleared ... from front splitter height to rear tire width. But you will have to assume that every car wash is going to be different.

Kinjirra

I R Slow
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Brian
Vehicle(s)
16 Ruby Red GT W/PP, 401a
Vehicle Showcase
I did once I put the my Velgans on (305/30/20 squared)...needless to say I wont again now that I need touchup paint.

Sponsored

Ron

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Ron
Vehicle(s)
2019 Mustang GT PP2
I did once I put the my Velgans on (305/30/20 squared). Needless to say, I won't again now that I need touch-up paint.
Where exactly was the damage ... front, sides, wheels?

Kinjirra

I R Slow
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Brian
Vehicle(s)
Vehicle Showcase
Where exactly was the damage ... front, sides, wheels?
wheels...passengers side. Rear wheel got it the worst.

Kinjirra

I R Slow
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Brian
Vehicle(s)
Vehicle Showcase
20x10.5...happened as I was pulling out of the wash...those things arnt made for wide sports cars imho.

Ron

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Ron
Vehicle(s)
2019 Mustang GT PP2
20x10.5 ... It happened as I was pulling out of the wash. Those things aren't made for wide sports cars imho.
Hmmmm, looking at my 305 tires on 10.5 rims (front only), there appears to be plenty of tire to protect the rim. It could be that those u-drive car washes have intentionally high tracks to keep folks from going "off the rails" when driving thru. My local car wash is automated once the attendant sets the car w/in the tracks. They then drive it off at the end & dry the car.

Sponsored

Draklia

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 GT
Been through the touchless ones numerous times, no problem with 10” wheels and 285/19s on 4 corners. I try to just blow dry (or drive really fast) the car afterwards as the touchless sprayers don’t take any grime off, so don’t want to scratch that stuff into the paint with a drying towel.

Nuked

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Triple Yellow GTPP w/Recaros
Vehicle Showcase
Here locally we have a couple that are touchless without any guide rails. Those are the ones I will go to. Obviously hand washing is best, but these work well in between. My normal routine is mid to late April spend a weekend on the car. Wash with pressure washer and foam cannon, clay bar, CG Blacklight and CG JetSeal with DA Polisher then apply Pete's 53 by hand. Use CG V07 thru the summer after handwash. Then repeat all of the April stuff in late August before Mustang Week.

16mach1

Banned
Banned
Banned
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 gt premium, 99 Roush, 2002 Z06
Vehicle Showcase
My 99 has never been washed ever unless the dealer did it before I got it same for the 16. Both have been rained on a few times while out. Only cleaned with dry wash products. I know this is not possible with daily drivers.

Last edited:

FreedomPenguin

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Donald
Vehicle(s)
2017 Mustang Ecoboost Premium, 2013 Scion tC.
I drove through 1700 miles salt and winter, when I got home we have a really nice drive through wash mechanical, I went through twice. No damage, but I’m an EB. So smaller accent pieces sticking out.

Once I PPF the front, Itl be used weekly all summer long every year

Cardude99

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Sam
Vehicle(s)
2018 Ecoboost
Okay I'll admit to it. I used the one by my house about a half a dozen times or so. It's cheap and did an okay job and I didn't want to clean it. Well live and learn. Stock ecoboost pp black wheels. Damage to any wheel in the track. Not huge and you have to look for it, but it's there. Every wheel that's been in the track has an impression or indentation, almost looks like a chip but not a chip.

Needless to say learned my lesson. Just bought a crap load of stuff from Adams polishes to the point I think it qualifies as a modification lol. Should be here next week, will see how it does next weekend.
Sponsored