Mobility kit vs. Spare tire

302@12psi

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Kona PP2 Recaros
Were you able to sort this?.. Post pics of the trunk
I just installed it today actually.

So I put a thin layer of cloth down so the jack wouldn't be touching the bare metal. I did turn the jack 90 degree's and got it relatively tight. I can still rock it with my hand but it takes a good amount of force. To better describe it the "nut" part of the jack is now facing the front of the car. Where you would put the wrench to raise/lower the jack.

The tire doesn't sit "flat" yet. The carpet cover is sitting up a bit. I'm going to see if it doesn't "settle" on it's own. If it does not I might deflate it a bit to get it to sit flat.

Because my winter set up has 19mm lugs and the summer is the factory 21mm lugs I bought a collapsible 1/2 drive wrench, a 21mm thin wall socket, and a 19mm thin wall socket. I'm going to get a large "bubble wrap bag" that Wal-Mart sells and keep them in there. I also bought the factory cargo net and I'm going to store the wrench and sockets in there in the trunk.

I'm going to take the factory kit and put it in a better plastic bag and try to stow it under the front seat. The idea of having the "goo" in there explode is rather off putting to me. So I want to make sure it really is sealed up.

My only "concern" at this point is the jack moving around. If it does I can tighten it a bit but it was already "biting" into the mounting block with the jack. I can only imagine using this "spare" in a rare circumstance.

The spare tire is a bit "taller" than my winter set up of 285/35/19's on 19x10's. I wouldn't want to drive it on for any extended period of time but to get off the highway or to a safer spot to wait for a tow I can't imagine it being all that bad.

I'm more concerned about adding 45-50 lbs of weight to the back of the car. I imagine it isn't going to change the handling all that much but it has to play a small part I would think.
Sponsored

Zooks527

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 KB GT, 401A, 6MT, PP1, S&S, MR, AE, B&O / 2005 Toyota Tacoma
I'm more concerned about adding 45-50 lbs of weight to the back of the car. I imagine it isn't going to change the handling all that much but it has to play a small part I would think.
Well, the car's nose heavy anyway. The spare will help push it back.

Bullitt0819

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Bob
Vehicle(s)
2019 Bullitt Mustang

BrettT

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Brett
Vehicle(s)
2019 Bullitt, 2006 Jetta 2.0T, 2013 Escape SEL
I got these at good 'ol Harbor Freight:

https://www.harborfreight.com/12-in-drive-impact-flip-socket-set-3-pc-62491.html

Actually, pretty good kit. I also got an electric scissor jack, which has it's own plastic case (manual scissor jacks utterly suck). Got something similar to:

https://www.amazon.com/Black-Bull-E...t=&hvlocphy=9032278&hvtargid=pla-435209450057

Note the notches for fitting under the welded seams (but I got a rubber pad just in case).
Where are you putting the scissor jack?

Bullitt0819

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Bob
Vehicle(s)
2019 Bullitt Mustang
I just throw it in the trunk. It has a case.

EDIT: Along with the jack, in its case, I have a HF tool bag containing a beach towel (to lay on the ground), the lug socket and extension, 1/2" breaker bar, chocks, 'paper' coveralls, flares, gloves, a manual scissor jack--in case the electric one craps--a jack pad and a first aid kit. I also have jumper cables in a bag.

The AA spare fits, just barely, in the well with, as others mentioned, a little hump on the cover. Why the hell does Ford not make a spare well that will fit an adequate spare tire/wheel (even if they won't provide a real spare)? My '08 Bullitt had the same problem: a wheel well sized for the previous generation car's tire/wheel combos. I know, I know ... 'fuel economy;' I guess your mileage is pretty good when you're stranded on the side of the road.

Last edited:

Sponsored

Brazos609

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 GT Premium PP Recaro
From what I've found.
Ford spare tire kit: FR3Z-1K007-C
Maxxis P155/60R18 TP10676000 26.5" Dia.

Mustang GT w/PP rear tire:
Michelin Pilot Sport 4S 275/40ZR19 27.7" Dia.

Maxxis has a larger spare: P165/70R18 TP10672000 27.1" Dia.

So, if I swapped the OEM spare tire with the larger spare from Maxxis and used a 25mm spacer, it should work alright.
Ford OEM spare + jack: ~$225 on eBay with shipping
Maxxis tire: ~$145 on manufacturer site with shipping
25mm spacer: $25 (wild ass guess)

So, $395 for a piece-it-together that needs a spacer versus $500 for something that doesn't. Pick it.
You don't have to buy the Mustang spare and then buy the 165/70-18 tire and swap it on. All you have to do is buy a late model Explorer spare. I got mine for $50 shipped off ebay, brand new, still had the sticker on it, 165/70-18 on a steel rim. The center bore matches the Mustang and it fits on the rear perfectly.
20180711_202458.jpg

Zooks527

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
You don't have to buy the Mustang spare and then buy the 165/70-18 tire and swap it on. All you have to do is buy a late model Explorer spare. I got mine for $50 shipped off ebay, brand new, still had the sticker on it, 165/70-18 on a steel rim. The center bore matches the Mustang and it fits on the rear perfectly.
One question: Does it clear the brakes in the front, or do you need to swap a rear tire onto the front and then put the spare on the back if you get a flat in the front?

One comment: It may fit on the back, but it has a 2.2% diameter difference across the differential instead of 0.7%. No big deal if you just want to limp a few miles to the next exit. More of an issue if it's 10PM and you're 90 miles from home.

Brazos609

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
One question: Does it clear the brakes in the front, or do you need to swap a rear tire onto the front and then put the spare on the back if you get a flat in the front?

One comment: It may fit on the back, but it has a 2.2% diameter difference across the differential instead of 0.7%. No big deal if you just want to limp a few miles to the next exit. More of an issue if it's 10PM and you're 90 miles from home.
No, it does not clear the 6-piston calipers, that's why I said it fits the rear. I will measure the circumference of the spare again when I get home but off the top of my head it is much closer to the circumference of the 275/40-19. I think I'm going to go with 275/40-19 square anyway so swapping a rear to the front and installing the spare on the rear isn't a problem for me.

Zooks527

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
No, it does not clear the 6-piston calipers, that's why I said it fits the rear. I will measure the circumference of the spare again when I get home but off the top of my head it is much closer to the circumference of the 275/40-19. I think I'm going to go with 275/40-19 square anyway so swapping a rear to the front and installing the spare on the rear isn't a problem for me.
From the picture, the spare is a 165/70-18. The circumference is 27,1" by definition. If you go with a 275/40-19 square setup, you'll be at 27.7" all the way around, a 2.2% split across the differential with the spare.

Everyone gets to pick what he wants for his own setup. From my perspective, the less time I spend with my back to the highway changing one tire on the driver's side, let alone two, the better. YMMV.

Last edited:

Brazos609

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
These are all options for a situation that can be anywhere from a minor annoyance to an emergency situation depending on the circumstances and your skill set. You should always continue driving to a safe location before attempting to change a tire. The tire is going to need to be repaired or replace anyway, further damage to the tire shouldn't be a primary concern, your safety is. You have to decide if that safe location is the side of the road or a parking lot. If you're on the Lake Pontchartrain Causeway, Manchac Swamp Bridge, Atchafalaya Basin Bridge, all of which are bridges around 20 miles long, you're either going to to be changing it on the spot, driving on a rim for a long way, or standing on a bridge for a long time waiting for a tow.

I'm simply saying that there is a $50 option available that is better than the $225 Ford Mustang spare tire kit that comes with a T155/60R18 107M 25.3" listed temporary spare. I'm going to put on my $50 Explorer spare with a T165/70D18 116M 27.1" listed temporary spare and still get it towed on a flatbed after I move to an even safer spot to wait an hour or more for that tow. I would rather have a 2% differential than a 9% differential from the smaller spare. You also have to remember these are listed sizes from different manufacturers, not every 275/40-19 is 27.7" either. Like I said I had previously measured the circumference of the spare with a fiberglass tape measure before I put it in the trunk.

Sponsored

Zooks527

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Dude, no problem. If you want to spend $45k - 50k on a Bullit or GT/PP and then save a couple of hundred bucks by going to a "need to change two tires when I get a flat" situation, have at it. Ditto getting flatbedded to a closed tire shop at 10PM on the weekend. No skin off my nose.

69mach1-395

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 RR GT/CS
20180711_202458.jpg
Hell of a deal, most I've seen are 135+. Even that beats the AA alternative. So if you don't mind a temp spare, this is the way to go. Since I have 25mm spacers all around I would imagine it fits the front also. What do you think, Brazos?

Last edited:

frankeric16

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
frank
Vehicle(s)
2019 DHG Bullitt
Vehicle Showcase
Just got my tire from AA and it looks great. A little tight in the well but it fit. Put the jack in my tool box instead of the well. Didn't want to deal with the possible rattle. Great service, 2 days to get my tire!

frankeric16

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
frank
Vehicle(s)
2019 DHG Bullitt
Vehicle Showcase
Got the AA spare and it fit right in the wheel well ( watch the video on their site). The AA jack, which is what Ford recommends is crap IMO. The slot on the saddle is too wide and when jacking it goes crooked. So I got a Ford FMC F0004 Mechanical Scissor Jack (1.5)
and a TMB Single Medium Size Universal Slotted Rubber Jack Pad Frame Rail Protector. This combo works fine for me. Hopefully it will only be needed in an emergency! My only concern in all this is the added weight to our already heavy cars.

emonster6x

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Scooter
Vehicle(s)
2018 Mustang GT PP1; 1999 C43 AMG
I put the Equus 19" spare on my 2018 PP1 car, BUT it has to be bored out to 70.66mm/2.782" to fit the Mustang hub. It clears the Brembo brakes in the front too! I got the spare on eBay for $175.00.
Sponsored