Sponsored

Slight rattling/vibration in second and third gear.

RedRaptorME

Banned
Banned
Banned
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Frank
Vehicle(s)
2019 ford raptor. 2019 GT 350 R Black red pinstripe. 1948 Ford 4 door sedan. 1973 stingray corvette.
  • Banned
I currently own a 2017 gt 350 that I just purchased 1 month ago with 12,000 miles from a ford dealership, Ford cpo c certified. I purchased silver plan extended warranty as well.

I've had the gt 350 in my garage since I received it one month ago hooked up to a battery tender. Wednesday although it was cold, I felt like the roads were finally free of winter sand, so I decided to take it for a ride to the company that is going to detail the mustang for me in the spring. I thought it would be good if he got a look at the paint condition before he actually tackled the paint protection and detailing. I had a 45 minute ride to the garage and a 45 minute ride home.

On the way to the Detailer the GT 350 ran great. I took it easy, tried to keep the rpm's under 4000 rpm's and I did not drive crazy, especially with the stock tires and it being 28 degrees outside.

On the way home I noticed that in second and third gear once I got to 3500 RPM'S I could hear a very slight rattling coming from the stick shift. It actually sounded like if you had loose change quarters, dimes, or pennies sitting on the dash board, very slight and faint. The transmission shifted fine and the engine sounds great. But again in second and third gear from below 3500 rpm's nothing, exactly at 3500 rpm's and up I could hear the slight rattling. I was not playing the radio at all so I know what I was hearing. I figured out it was coming from the stick shift so I grabbed the bottom of the stick where the leather trim is at the base and it muted the sound. I called the dealership I purchased the GT 350 from and spoke to the salesman I bought the car from. Luckily he is very mechanically inclined and after I explained the sound to him and where it was coming from he said it could be linkage, and if it was continuing in the spring to bring it in and they could have it fixed in 4-5 hours. He was good about it.

I'm just curious from other GT 350 owners if anybody else has experienced this.

Thank you.
Sponsored

JR369

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 GT500 Iconic
Stock shift I presume. Could be that the linkage loosened up just like the mechanic says. I remember the same thing rattling noise from the stock shifter of my 14 GT500 Tremec 6060. Like there was a loose bolt rattling around down there.

OP
OP

RedRaptorME

Banned
Banned
Banned
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Frank
Vehicle(s)
2019 ford raptor. 2019 GT 350 R Black red pinstripe. 1948 Ford 4 door sedan. 1973 stingray corvette.
  • Banned
Stock shift I presume. Could be that the linkage loosened up just like the mechanic says. I remember the same thing rattling noise from the stock shifter of my 14 GT500 Tremec 6060. Like there was a loose bolt rattling around down there.
Yes stock shifter. Thank you for the reply. Were you still able to drive it or did you get it repaired right away ? What did it take to fix it ?

JR369

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 GT500 Iconic
Yes stock shifter. Thank you for the reply. Were you still able to drive it or did you get it repaired right away ? What did it take to fix it ?
No issues ever with the rattle. Just too lazy to address it further after I got Ford Performance Racing axel backs on.

OP
OP

RedRaptorME

Banned
Banned
Banned
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Frank
Vehicle(s)
  • Banned
No issues ever with the rattle. Just too lazy to address it further after I got Ford Performance Racing axel backs on.
It sounds like me and you might have the same linkage issue going on. What you are saying is it never got worse and you continued to drive it without getting it fixed ? If that's true it makes me feel better. And I have the remainder of the original factory warranty, a ford CPO, and I bought a silver plan extended warranty which is actually better than the CPO and the original OEM warranty. But I didn't want to due further damage to the transmission. Thank you.

Sponsored

JR369

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 GT500 Iconic
It sounds like me and you might have the same linkage issue going on. What you are saying is it never got worse and you continued to drive it without getting it fixed ? If that's true it makes me feel better. And I have the remainder of the original factory warranty, a ford CPO, and I bought a silver plan extended warranty which is actually better than the CPO and the original OEM warranty. But I didn't want to due further damage to the transmission. Thank you.
Yes, it never got worse and shifting never changed. Two pieces of linkage rattling together at a certain rpm frequency imo.

OP
OP

RedRaptorME

Banned
Banned
Banned
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Frank
Vehicle(s)
  • Banned
Yes, it never got worse and shifting never changed. Two pieces of linkage rattling together at a certain rpm frequency imo.
Thank you. I am just going to continue to drive it in the spring and get it looked at when it is convenient. Thanks.

Mspeedster

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Shelby GT350 Deep Impact Blue Track Pak
Shifter rattle is a common issue, some have it, some don't. Dealer would likely replace the entire shifter assembly. But there's an easy fix, see this video:

OP
OP

RedRaptorME

Banned
Banned
Banned
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Frank
Vehicle(s)
  • Banned
Shifter rattle is a common issue, some have it, some don't. Dealer would likely replace the entire shifter assembly. But there's an easy fix, see this video:

Thank you. I will watch it.
Sponsored