Sponsored

2018 Mantic Clutch and Flywheel Weight Comparison

gqneon

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
18 GT PP / Manual
**EDIT** DONT BUY A 2018+ Mantic clutch unless you want disengagement issues. It's nice looking and light but something is not right with the design. See my other thread and similar experiences beginning to appear requiring disassembly and removal. Mantic insists the clutch is fine. Three installs later it's still not. (See videos.)
I installed the RXT McLeod and it worked fine the first time. Save yourself thousands of dollars and a lot of headache. Good luck!

Original post below.----

I know it's not perfect but there's a decent difference in weight on the 2018 Mantic flywheel and clutch setup. I took a couple pictures for ya'll.

Roughly 27.6 lbs lighter than the stock setup. I'm curious how that feels on the road once I solve the bolt problem!

C9EDDBEE-4172-4938-870C-04B2F74FD512.jpeg
5C7E575C-88E0-4F24-8821-275ADB34F3ED.jpeg
C21C9C7D-7949-42B5-BCCB-0EDD400EF69F.jpeg
B5C7F00E-5F9B-4323-B68E-C62D00F07418.jpeg
Sponsored

Last edited:
OP
OP
gqneon

gqneon

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
18 GT PP / Manual
I haven't gotten to flog it yet - it developed a ton of noise after about 300 break in miles and I've had to pull the trans out again to disassemble it all and comb through what it is. I stopped at a stop light and it was so loud it was bouncing back off the cars next to me at the light and they were looking over. Geoff at Mantic has been responsive helping me troubleshoot it and indicated its definitely a clutch issue. I've ordered a new throwout bearing (mine only had 2k miles and it doesn't come with the clutch kit from Mantic anymore for 2018+) and I'm waiting on a phone call today from him as to whether he needs it shipped back or wants me to reinstall it. We can't find anything specifically wrong with it or the trans.

It liked to stutter/chatter on take off if you didn't get it exactly right - it was engaging about 1/4-1/2" off the floorboard and the range of engagement is very short. It felt lighter than the stock clutch so I bled it and vacuum bled it about 25 times thinking maybe there was air in there but there wasn't. Once it's moving it's butter - no issues that I was able to tell. When it clamps it clamps and the only noise that wasn't there before was gearbox noise which I attribute to the harmonics of taking 27 lbs off with this kit between the the back of the engine to the trans.

I'll have to weigh in on everything when we get things sorted but here's what it was doing, and a stack of photos I took when uninstalling it. Neither Mantic nor I have been able to tell what the problem is or where the source of the noise is coming from.

Photos - https://photos.app.goo.gl/hW6WsEXx4A2RH31q9

In car sound (harder to hear this video)

Under car sound (easier to hear)

Last edited:

db252

Equinsu Ocha
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
16 GT Premium/PP/Nav
To me, it sounds like the floater plate especially since it happens to only come in play during a fully depressed pedal. Your slave cylinder is always in contact with the fingers of the pressure plate so it would make noise all or most of the time. I've installed 3 sets of these, both organic and ceramitallic and have never heard this but not on the 18 and up years. Geoff should be able to get you straightened out on this. Take pics as you disassemble it if you can. Really weird and frustrating I'm sure; let us know what is found.

OP
OP
gqneon

gqneon

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
18 GT PP / Manual
To me, it sounds like the floater plate especially since it happens to only come in play during a fully depressed pedal. Your slave cylinder is always in contact with the fingers of the pressure plate so it would make noise all or most of the time. I've installed 3 sets of these, both organic and ceramitallic and have never heard this but not on the 18 and up years. Geoff should be able to get you straightened out on this. Take pics as you disassemble it if you can. Really weird and frustrating I'm sure; let us know what is found.
Great response- and I appreciate the input especially knowing you've done multiple of these that came out well. Other than this issue that came up while finishing up break in it looks and performs great - it's clearly a high quality product. Looking forward to Geoff's call today - he's been good with texts and some troubleshooting ideas. We're kind of at a loss so any ideas I'll look into! There are tons of small differences with 15-17 and 18+ I keep encountering. Hopefully me posting my findings with others help on stuff helps the next guy!
Sponsored