Need Tips for CA Smog Sensor Readings for New Out of State Purchase

ltcolton

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Phil
Vehicle(s)
350R,Trackhawk,FocusRS,911,R8GT,S2000,AlfaGiulia
Purchased a new GT350R with 12 miles from out of state and trying to get a smog certificate to register in California. Took it to the Smog Station and they couldn't get a reading for the Oxygen Sensor, Oxygen Sensor Heater and Catalyst. Tech advise me to drive it at on the freeway for about 50 miles and come back. So far I've tried 3x and still no luck in getting a reading. Any advice or tips on how to recycle the sensors would be greatly appreciated.
Sponsored

5.2 liters of democracy

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Shane
Vehicle(s)
2017 Avalanche Gray GT350
I did the same thing. Bought it in Alabama and brought it into California. I got mine smogged at 350 miles just to be safe and it had absolutely no issues. I've never heard of a tech say to drive it only 50 miles. I'm not saying he's wrong but any tech I've talked to trying to get a vehicle smogged recommended at least 150.

Hope that is helpful.

lightrules

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Yes
Vehicle Showcase
i got my R from a TX dealer and had it shipped to me in CA. i went to do the smog check at 20 miles on the odometer and no issues at all. maybe try another smog shop. i have a great guy near me if you want to PM me. cool car guy, loves the shelby. he does it for $40.

OP
OP
ltcolton

ltcolton

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Phil
Vehicle(s)
i got my R from a TX dealer and had it shipped to me in CA. i went to do the smog check at 20 miles on the odometer and no issues at all. maybe try another smog shop. i have a great guy near me if you want to PM me. cool car guy, loves the shelby. he does it for $40.
Thanks but I 'm in San Francisco.

OP
OP
ltcolton

ltcolton

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Phil
Vehicle(s)
I did the same thing. Bought it in Alabama and brought it into California. I got mine smogged at 350 miles just to be safe and it had absolutely no issues. I've never heard of a tech say to drive it only 50 miles. I'm not saying he's wrong but any tech I've talked to trying to get a vehicle smogged recommended at least 150.

Hope that is helpful.
Thanks. I have about 170 miles on it now and still no reading as I took it to the Smog Station yesterday. I'll try to put in more miles this weekend as rain is in the forecast for the next few days.

Sponsored

GTthree50

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Magnetic Grey 2017 GT350
I’m local to you. Bought in Illinois and shipped it home. Have heard you should drive it some to set parameters to pass. I did put a few miles on it and it passed no problem. Did my test in San Bruno at a shop I always use. Don’t remember exactly how many miles I drove but less than 100.

REDLINE

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 Z51 Stingray
Different cars will have different mileage requirements in order for the 02 sensor to be ready. Look up "engine cycling". My out of state gt350 passed smog after I put 450 miles on it. My c7 on the other hand only passed after I put 1500 miles on it. YMMV.

nastang87xx

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 GT350 Track Pack
Keep driving and don't think about it. The monitors just don't know what they're doing yet. If you can get on the freeway, give it some beans every once in a while. And DO NOT NOT NOT NOT NOT unplug the damn battery!

Shift

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
a Ford
Couldn't get a reading @ 100 miles like everyone else. Ended up taking it in @ 500mi and everything was OK.

JAJ

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 GT350 Track Pack
The readiness monitor state is the result of 10 individual monitor cycles for all of the various emissions subsystems. The test cycle is designed so all the tests complete on their own if you're driving normally in normal conditions in a mix of city and highway driving. Distance is not important, but some of the tests take time at speed, like the EVAP test where you have to drive between 48 and 65 MPH for 10 minutes. There are a couple of qualifiers that matter - fuel tank has to be between 50% and 75% full and the air temp has to be between 40 and 100 degrees. Drive smoothly - don't be afraid to use the throttle but if you drive aggressively all the time, it'll take a while to complete the tests.

Sponsored

Zcobra1

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Bert
Vehicle(s)
GT350, Ferrari 360, Viper GTS, C6-Z06, 70'Trans Am
Buy a cheap OBD reader, so you can tell when all is ready. Evap is NOT required in CA, and cold starts are more important than piling the on miles.....steady speeds for a few minutes and let off gas, do not touch anything and coast as long as you can. Drive City stop and go, not just highway. Mine was ready in 100 miles, appointment at DMV, in-n-out in no time.
Make sure you have the Manufacturer origin certificate if brand new and never registered any prior States.

ace_gt350

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Ace
Vehicle(s)
2017 Shelby gt350
Hey man, I'm going to get my GT350 smogged this week (mine is imported from TX) I am using a smog place in Mtn view. I forget the exact name but it's on El Camino and Castro. Near downtown mtn view. I had the same issue as you when I imported a brand new boxster to CA that had only 50 miles on it. Another place it failed and this place kept doing it until it passed. I can find the name for you (if mtn view isn't too far for you. )

OP
OP
ltcolton

ltcolton

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Phil
Vehicle(s)
Hey man, I'm going to get my GT350 smogged this week (mine is imported from TX) I am using a smog place in Mtn view. I forget the exact name but it's on El Camino and Castro. Near downtown mtn view. I had the same issue as you when I imported a brand new boxster to CA that had only 50 miles on it. Another place it failed and this place kept doing it until it passed. I can find the name for you (if mtn view isn't too far for you. )
Thanks but my Smog Shop is not charging me until its ready for smog. I've purchased a OBD2 scanner to save me the trip to Smog Station. 235 miles and still no luck. I'm taking the car for Xpel wrap and ceramic coating tomorrow.
Sponsored