Sponsored

Per Ford (officially) the 2011-2019 F150/Mustang 5.0 “Typewriter Tick” is a normal characteristic

samanosuke47

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Jeremy
Vehicle(s)
2019 GT Premium
I don't have the tick. I have heard a few on YouTube but they didn't sound very bad to me. Maybe they are worse in person than on video.

Based on what I have heard, I would rather have the tick than have a car with a replacement engine.....especially a replacement no different than the one replaced.

Obviously I am distinguishing the tick from the rattle or from cars with metal shavings in the oil filter.
Agreed. If a car has a Tick and you're finding metal shavings in the oil, that's obviously an issue. But there's people that seem to be getting the Tick, with no ... ?visible? document able detriment happening it seems. Going on and on just fine. Also being this market, we're the type of buyers that would pay a lot of attention to odd noises.

I would rather have the original engine Tick and all at 75k then have to go through replacements trying to get rid of the tick. Which seems to be the case...
Sponsored

wanted33

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Jim
Vehicle(s)
2018 GT Convertible, 2006 GT Coupe
My 2011 F-150 5.0 has had the tick since day 1. 130,xxx miles later still running strong.

Just under 10K in the GT. Zero tick.

I like basing my opinion on personal experience.

Because you know everything you read on the internet is true.

Zero concerns about my 2 yotes.
Kid, I'm sure Ford told you that the slack, or play in the drive line of your F-150 was normal also. That's what they told me. I was quite skeptical, but thought OK I've got a warranty. But, I never had a problem out of my 2011, and my 2013 that has the same play is fine at 6 years old. So, maybe.....just maybe.....the tick in the engine is the same. Oh well, as I said, I've got a warranty. For what it's worth the Mustang is still quiet. But, I haven't changed the oil yet. :)

Excel

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Mitch
Vehicle(s)
2015 GT and 2015 F150
GM had the same problem in many 5.3s in early 2000s and many lived and thats because the slap went
away when the engine warmed up but the ford deal is way worse,the slap does not go away and thats
a time bomb waiting to happen

jake_zx2

Banned
Banned
Banned
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Kona Blue 2018 GT
Vehicle Showcase
It's staggering to me that people here still think they know more than Ford...

There are plenty of coyotes out there that have the tick and run perfectly fine for over 100,000 miles. If Ford says it's normal, then it's normal. Yes, I'd like to know what they think causes it, but the chances of them releasing this statement without a known cause are slim to none, and if the cause was really something to be concerned about, then they wouldn't have released the statement at all

CEHollier

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Charles
Vehicle(s)
2015 GT Premium Magnetic
Vehicle Showcase
The question is why? After my tick started metal shavings were found in the oil. So short block replacement.
images.png

Sponsored

okfoz

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
John
Vehicle(s)
2016 Roush Stage 3
My first oil change was at 1000 miles, no tick... Maybe I got lucky.

jake_zx2

Banned
Banned
Banned
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Kona Blue 2018 GT
Vehicle Showcase
My car has been ticking and rattling since it's first oil change at 1500 miles. Have never found metal shavings in the oil, no cylinder wall scoring, and runs perfectly. If you have shavings or cylinder wall scoring, the issue is likely completely unrelated to the tick

okfoz

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
John
Vehicle(s)
2016 Roush Stage 3
The question is why? After my tick started metal shavings were found in the oil. So short block replacement.
images.png
Excessive metal shavings and the tick may or may not be related either... Unfortunately no one seems to know what the problem is, there has only been speculation.

18P51GT

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Travis
Vehicle(s)
2018 Mustang GT
Vehicle Showcase
I’m still not upgrading to an engine that has a noticeable “tick”. I’m also not upgrading to an engine that is known for piston slap at 2000rpm. Ford saying after years of this issue that it is normal does not give me any comfort.

The bottom line is that I don’t trust the 3rd Generation Coyote engine and I’m not alone. Ford saying the tick is normal does not change anything in my mind.

And I’m on my second engine with actual PISTON SLAP....

18P51GT

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Travis
Vehicle(s)
2018 Mustang GT
Vehicle Showcase
So is ford going to say since it's not detrimental that tracking your car and hauling ass on a hot day must be fine and won't be cited as a "well you obviously didn't need warnings from the noise your car was making so we aren't covering it" right?

Also..... Does this mean scoring and cylinder failure which comes from the tick along with the blue smoke and the engine failure as a "normal operating characteristic".

Is "needing to run non recommended additives to avoid embarrassment" a "normal operating characteristic"?

I kid....i joke. We have fun here.
hqdefault.jpg
Sounds all too familiar. Hence, I’m on block 2 with same thing happening again...

Sponsored

18P51GT

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Travis
Vehicle(s)
2018 Mustang GT
Vehicle Showcase
(Note to Mods: Posting this here initially as this is the most viewed sub-forum - please leave here for at least 24hrs before moving to the Issues/TSB sub-forum - thank you).

Yep, you’re all reading the thread title correctly...

Also notice how the document expands the applicable vehicle starting year as far back to 2011, covering prior F150/Mustang 5.0 model year Customer complaints/concerns.

Since this is an official release, I would not expect Customer concerns to get much traction, as this doc will be referenced to the Customer as being “a normal characteristic”... UNLESS the noise the customer is hearing is beyond a “typewriter noise, a tap or tick”.
B7371909-3E53-4575-B15F-37A4F7D7BF1A.jpeg
The “Tick” is all based on what one perceives.

fiveoboy01

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 LB GT 400A
It's staggering to me that people here still think they know more than Ford...

There are plenty of coyotes out there that have the tick and run perfectly fine for over 100,000 miles. If Ford says it's normal, then it's normal. Yes, I'd like to know what they think causes it, but the chances of them releasing this statement without a known cause are slim to none, and if the cause was really something to be concerned about, then they wouldn't have released the statement at all
I opened this expecting to see a few "buncha fuckin liars makin excuses!" comments and wasn't disappointed.

kennethrisher

kennethrisher
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Kenneth
Vehicle(s)
2016 Mustang GT Premium (Auto)
It's trunnion noise...it's nothing to worry about. The other (louder noise) that is far less common...does appear to be an issue. But as Ford said, they are 2 separate noises.
the one we're talking about occurs on most all coyotes at some point (intermittently). The other noise occurs on less than 1/2 of 1% of the Coyote engines...but that one means new shortblock.

18P51GT

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Travis
Vehicle(s)
2018 Mustang GT
Vehicle Showcase
I opened this expecting to see a few "buncha fuckin liars makin excuses!" comments and wasn't disappointed.
I agree. There are a few trolls out there. More than I’d like. Not to mention, there are individuals who know nothing of tolerances (+.0005/-.0005) for instance, let alone basic maintenance. Or, tie their shoes.
When my first engine started making noise, I knew right away what it was. I could hear the differentiating noises between that and the injector pump. I was hoping to be wrong, but they showed me the scoring and the fine glitter in my oil.
Wasn’t happy at that point. But whatever. They’ll fix it.
Was I wrong.
Between talking to the service manager and a few other machinist and engineers I work with a also a few custom engine builders that build nothing but ford, I’ve come to reaffirm that the production blocks are not always 100% correct. It happens. I get it.
So my car sits waiting for a disposition again. A total of 4 months all together now. I love the car. I have no problems otherwise. However, it’s still waiting on a good block.
All I can do is wait. PATIENTLY lol

5.0yote

AKA Bananana & 3.7Cyclone
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.youtube.com
First Name
Don
Vehicle(s)
2016 Mustang Ecoboost Premium
Vehicle Showcase
Well if Ford is confident in making this statement they will also have to be confident to validate it under scrutiny when a failure occurs after a customer complains about the ticking prior and it ends up being something bore related, piston slap, or whatever.

Personally I had the ticking on my 15GT, no issues, I have the ticket on my 16 EBM, no issues, and I have the ticking on my 16 Focus with the 1.0L Ecoboost, no issues so.
Sponsored