Sponsored

Adding water to coolant reservoir?

DarthMalice

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Mustang Mach 1 M0960; AT; Fighter Jet Gray
Resurrecting this thread as I need to fill mine a bit. Is there an equivalent brand of coolant I can buy at Autozone that matches the Ford type in 5.0? Really don't feel like going to the dealership to top off.
Sponsored

ronemca

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Ron
Vehicle(s)
2016 P/EB w PP
...I stand where I can see the car and what they are doing to it.
Wow! I wish I could do that. Around here it's like open-heart surgery; once the patient passes through the door it's in the inner sanctum. GONE. Invisible to us mere mortals. There's NO WAY you could see what's happening unless your car just happened to be on a hoist near a bay door...AND the door was open. Very, VERY rare.

melwff

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Mach 1 M2486
Resurrecting this thread as I need to fill mine a bit. Is there an equivalent brand of coolant I can buy at Autozone that matches the Ford type in 5.0? Really don't feel like going to the dealership to top off.
Yes, go to their web site and enter your car and see your choices.

CrashOverride

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 Mustang GT
If it was dasani water, then I'd be scared, but that Fuji water is the best :)

Seriously, it depends on the water. If tap water comes from a well, or has heavy minerals like here in the west, or lots of iron like in the east, then it's not the best thing. 50/50 is what you should always use, but if you're out here for example, you can use almost straight water with no problem (We don't freeze here).

If you're going to add water, distilled is the way to go, but I seriously doubt dealers have jugs of it. I doubt Jiffylube (et al.) don't either. It's the same water that feeds the toilet.

At least the guy didn't take a bottle of peak green and pour it in. Worst thing you can do is mix fluids. Ask the GM "Dex-Cool" guys. I don't know if these cars use organic, hybrid, or full synthetic. I just sold my dodge though and it used hybrid "HOAT" fluid which was a pain in the (bleep) because it was pink from the factory and zyrex fluid was piss yellow. Hard to see it through a plastic bottle.

CrashOverride

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 Mustang GT
Oh and my lessons from the past: If you flush the coolant, you're going to buy a new water pump. Happens ever single time. Now on, I drain the radiator, dump in new fluid and call it a day. No, not as good as full fluid replacement, but better than replacing a water pump. Something about the flush products just didn't like water pumps...

Sponsored

Norm Peterson

corner barstool sitter
Threads
Reaction score
On a corner barstool not too far from I-95
First Name
Norm
Vehicle(s)
'08 GT #85, '19 WRX
How much is "a bit"? If it's only a couple of cups I wouldn't worry overly much about raising the freezing point a couple of degrees by just adding distilled water. But I wouldn't keep doing that.

ant-freeze-protection.jpg

antifreeze-coolant-mix-chart.png

Norm

69mach1-395

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 RR GT/CS
Norm, why do always confuse these threads with facts? lol

Why

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Ford F150
Dealerships tend to hire morons.
Having gone to three dealerships in the last month to inquire about a new Mustang and new F150, all I have found is clueless sales people as well. Shouldn't they have knowledge on the products that they sell?
When i had a lemon for a pickup, they were always at a loss on how to fix any of the issues with my ecoboost as well.

Deleted member 35786

Pardon my ignorance as I learn about my S550. But where do you add coolant to the radiator if I was to drain it? To the reservoir tank or is there a hidden radiator cap somewhere and I am blind to find it?