Sponsored

New ssm from Ford ( Typewriter Noise )

Condor1970

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Mustang GT
The sound in the video in Post #88 sounds different than the 2K rattle IMO.

Why don't the 2015-2017 Coyotes have the 2K rattle if it's cam phasor related? And if it's cam phasor related, why hasn't Ford put out a similar TSB for the 2018+ Mustangs?
It has to do with the position of the accelerator and the tuning that adjusts the VCT solenoid. All the tuning changed slightly when they went to a bigger bore, and added DI for 2018+. Like I said, in the VCT solenoid reprogramming TSB, they tried to reprogram and adjust the amount of oil fed to the phasers at certain accelerator positions and RPM to prevent chatter. It definitely works on "some" F-150's but not all of them. Many have gotten the TSB reprogram, and it did not solve it. So, it's a bit of hit or miss.

So, to reiterate, I had thought maybe the chatter was the IMRC, but after seeing all the news and issues with the VCT solenoid TSB, I'm really thinking the 2k rattle and decel chatter is the same issue with phaser chatter due to oil pressure fed to the phasers at various rpms and accelerator position.

I think the decel chatter happens kind of like this. And anyone who is a cam phaser expert, please correct me if I'm wrong....

As you press the accelerator quickly, the computer reads the position, and adjusts the VCT solenoid feeding oil to the phasers. Because you release the accelerator so quickly, the computer reacts and tells the solenoid to adjust oil flow. However, because the engine is spinning from inertia, it takes a second for the phasers to physically respond to the change, and so some audible chatter is heard until it settles into the right position for the cam to operate at that specific rpm.
Sponsored

GT Pony

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 GT Premium, Black w/Saddle, 19s, NAV
It has to do with the position of the accelerator and the tuning that adjusts the VCT solenoid. All the tuning changed slightly when they went to a bigger bore, and added DI for 2018+. Like I said, in the VCT solenoid reprogramming TSB, they tried to reprogram and adjust the amount of oil fed to the phasers at certain accelerator positions and RPM to prevent chatter. It definitely works on "some" F-150's but not all of them. Many have gotten the TSB reprogram, and it did not solve it. So, it's a bit of hit or miss.

So, to reiterate, I had thought maybe the chatter was the IMRC, but after seeing all the news and issues with the VCT solenoid TSB, I'm really thinking the 2k rattle and decel chatter is the same issue with phaser chatter due to oil pressure fed to the phasers at various rpms and accelerator position.

I think the decel chatter happens kind of like this. And anyone who is a cam phaser expert, please correct me if I'm wrong....

As you press the accelerator quickly, the computer reads the position, and adjusts the VCT solenoid feeding oil to the phasers. Because you release the accelerator so quickly, the computer reacts and tells the solenoid to adjust oil flow. However, because the engine is spinning from inertia, it takes a second for the phasers to physically respond to the change, and so some audible chatter is heard until it settles into the right position for the cam to operate at that specific rpm.
I could understand fast throttle changes under dynamic RPM conditions. But lots of the videos showing the 2K rattle is the engine rattling when the engine is cruising at a constant 2K RPM without much throttle changing going on. I don't follow the F-150 boards, so I'm wondering if they are recording the same basic constant rattle at 2K RPM, or is it just a rattle when the throttle is let off like the video in Post #88 above?

BTW, if you research oil cavitation in journal bearings it says that oil cavitation is more likely with thicker viscosity. But lots of these BBQ tick videos show the engine running quiet with cold thick oil, then start ticking after the oil thins down from warming up. If cavitation is more likely with thicker oil, then the engine should be ticking a lot during warm-up.

Last edited:

MKMotorsport

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2013 GT Convertible
Now to wait for the 2k rattle being "normal" in 18+'s.
Well look how long it took them to acknowledge the tick. Acknowledging the rattle is at least 5-6 years down the road.

markbehr

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Mark
Vehicle(s)
2020 Mustang GT
Well shoot, i cant even listen for the 2k rattle even if i wanted to. My drone is loud right at the 2k mark so :cwl:

devin2589

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 mustang gt
The sound in the video in Post #88 sounds different than the 2K rattle IMO.

Why don't the 2015-2017 Coyotes have the 2K rattle if it's cam phasor related? And if it's cam phasor related, why hasn't Ford put out a similar TSB for the 2018+ Mustangs?
my wife's 2016 f150 has the 2k rattle. only noticeable when cold though. so i don't think it's just the 18+.

Sponsored

GT Pony

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
my wife's 2016 f150 has the 2k rattle. only noticeable when cold though. so i don't think it's just the 18+.
Rarely hear of pre 2018 Coyotes with a 2000 RPM rattle. We would have heard about it since 2015 if it was common.

2018+ seems to be very common though.

nodie

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 F150 5.0L
I could understand fast throttle changes under dynamic RPM conditions. But lots of the videos showing the 2K rattle is the engine rattling when the engine is cruising at a constant 2K RPM without much throttle changing going on. I don't follow the F-150 boards, so I'm wondering if they are recording the same basic constant rattle at 2K RPM, or is it just a rattle when the throttle is let off like the video in Post #88 above?
As an 18 F150 5.0 owner, my truck has both the 2k rattle, and the rattle on deceleration (which TSB 18-2354 did not fix).

bootlegger

Enginerd
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
James
Vehicle(s)
Ex 2008 Mustang GT Owner
The owner of this car just told me they there is a 40% failure rate on the gen3 and that there will be an announcement soon, where or from whom he got this made up number who knows, but this is how this internet armageddon starts
40% failure rate would be the end of new Mustang sales. Maybe he means 40% have a tick or a rattle. That would be more believable.

Richard357

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Richard
Vehicle(s)
2018 mustang gt pp1
I have a 2018 pp1 mustang no typewriter tick yet thank god. But personally I did not spend 35k to listen to my engine tick and there is a. no way it's normal for the tic to occur. If that's the case if your motor doesn't tic it must be defective. Fords response was a cop out

kidamer

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 mustang gt 10 sp auto
I have a 2018 pp1 mustang no typewriter tick yet thank god. But personally I did not spend 35k to listen to my engine tick and there is a. no way it's normal for the tic to occur. If that's the case if your motor doesn't tic it must be defective. Fords response was a cop out
It does seem strange, but honestly do you think ford wants any kind of bad reputation with the only car that they are going to continue to produce? Also they have millions of miles of testing on these engines with countless tests. I'm not saying they haven't, but its just really hard to understand why they would want to tarnish their brand.

Sponsored

GT Pony

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
It does seem strange, but honestly do you think ford wants any kind of bad reputation with the only car that they are going to continue to produce? Also they have millions of miles of testing on these engines with countless tests. I'm not saying they haven't, but its just really hard to understand why they would want to tarnish their brand.
Just because the test engines made it doesn't mean that production engines won't have problems from bad manufacturing processes and lack of QA. Those test engines typically get way more manufacturing attention and QA when they were built than full blown mass production engines get.

kidamer

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Just because the test engines made it doesn't mean that production engines won't have problems from bad manufacturing processes and lack of QA. Those test engines typically get way more manufacturing attention and QA when they were built than full blown mass production engines get.
im sure it does but I hope, not saying it happens, but I would think someone at ford would be smart enough to know that as well, and pull assembly engines as well and do the same testing.

GT Pony

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
im sure it does but I hope, not saying it happens, but I would think someone at ford would be smart enough to know that as well, and pull assembly engines as well and do the same testing.
I doubt Ford pulls production engines and fully tests them ... too costly.

kidamer

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
I doubt Ford pulls production engines and fully tests them ... too costly.
come on now they are a billion dollar company, you cant tell me they wouldnt be able to pull even 200, assembly line engines to test them, pretty sure thats a drop of a penny in the penny jar

GT Pony

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
come on now they are a billion dollar company, you cant tell me they wouldnt be able to pull even 200, assembly line engines to test them, pretty sure thats a drop of a penny in the penny jar
Maybe a Ford insider who knows can chime in, but my bet is Ford does not do any extensive (key word) engine testing on any production engines ... only the R&D engines.

Besides, if they do you'd think they would have found some engines that fail like the ones people are experiencing here and do something about it. That doesn't seem to be the case so far.
Sponsored