Sponsored

Stock GT Exhaust on V6 Mustang

Nagare

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 Lightning Blue V6
Vehicle Showcase
I think I might like the sound of this the best in the video compared to other iterations. The metallic/tinny sound that you could kinda hear before is mostly gone.

Unfortunately the rev video I took just now is with a different phone (Pixel 3 instead of Pixel 1 like all my others) so it may be a little different in terms of mic quality (just for full disclosure). I'll work on uploading the video tonight and post it in the sound clips thread.
Sponsored

MagnaFlow

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 S550
As a follow-up to this, for those who have replaced the stock GT resonator with an X-pipe and kept the stock mufflers, did it result in any drone? Doing this with the 5.0 apparently causes a very raspy tone at higher RPMs, but have you found it's not as much of an issue with the V6? The X-pipe sound clip in this thread sounds pretty good, but I've been wondering about these things, which is what led to the idea of using the Tru X.
With a normal unresonated X it will result in the same raspy sound, which is why so many owners choose to go with our resonated X mufflers. One of the reasons they have become so popular is they offer an increase in volume over most factory resonators while keeping the tone deep through the tuning of our packing material and design. If you have any questions about them, feel free to drop us a PM anytime!

ctandc72

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'19 GT 6 speed Base
Vehicle Showcase
I really need to take some good video of my setup. Shorty headers, MBRP Street (Meant for GT) cat back and I added a small Ultra quiet resonator. Here's a crappy video with both windows down, not high revs.

MidwayJ

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Jay
Vehicle(s)
2019 Mustang GT Coupe
Vehicle Showcase
With a normal unresonated X it will result in the same raspy sound, which is why so many owners choose to go with our resonated X mufflers. One of the reasons they have become so popular is they offer an increase in volume over most factory resonators while keeping the tone deep through the tuning of our packing material and design. If you have any questions about them, feel free to drop us a PM anytime!
Appreciate it!

PDX.Stang

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Mustang 6M
Yessir.

To anyone who wants a little more noise, and doesn't want to sacrifice their pipes. Look around your local chapter for a GT owner who doesn't want their old catback anymore. With a ratio of 3 GT's to 1 V6 out there, I bet anyone who wants this setup wouldn't have to look hard.
I'm surely missing something, but in comparing the V6 vs GT part numbers of the catalytic converter to the exhaust tips, it seems they're identical.
Included are the screenshots from the Ford parts site.

V6.jpg
GT.jpg

Sponsored

Nagare

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 Lightning Blue V6
Vehicle Showcase
I'm surely missing something, but in comparing the V6 vs GT part numbers of the catalytic converter to the exhaust tips, it seems they're identical.
Included are the screenshots from the Ford parts site.
Tips look different in your pic (although it is strange they still have the same #), cats are different (5E212A vs 5E212, 5E212B vs 5G232), clamps are different too (5A231 vs 5A231B and 5A231A). If they were the same, they'd have the same clamps.

MidwayJ

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Jay
Vehicle(s)
2019 Mustang GT Coupe
Vehicle Showcase
Tips look different in your pic (although it is strange they still have the same #), cats are different (5E212A vs 5E212, 5E212B vs 5G232), clamps are different too (5A231 vs 5A231B and 5A231A). If they were the same, they'd have the same clamps.
Also, since the pipes are 2.25" from the resonator to the mufflers for the V6 vs. 2.5" for the GT, the outlet/inlet openings have to be different even if the resonator and muffler are otherwise identical.

PDX.Stang

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Mustang 6M
Sorry, I was thinking 'cat-back' but included the cats in the inquiry. My point being that if everything behind the cats seems to be the same, how is swapping them an improvement?

Nagare

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 Lightning Blue V6
Vehicle Showcase
That's why I highlighted the clamps are different. If they were the same size, you'd have a point. They're different because the pipes are a different size. I'm not sure why the mufflers show the same # in the pic though because you can visually see the difference between the two there and in person.

V6 pipes are 2.25", GT are 2.5". Hard to say if there are actual differences on a dyno because I don't if anybody did back to back dynos for just that, but the sound does change a bit and the tips on the GT exhaust look better.

It also opens up the much wider market of used/new GT exhaust options. A cut and clamp GT x or h pipe will run you $125, the same for a V6 is usually double at least. Easier to find used axle-backs for the GT as well.

More options = lower prices (both used and new).

PDX.Stang

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Mustang 6M
That's why I highlighted the clamps are different. If they were the same size, you'd have a point. They're different because the pipes are a different size. I'm not sure why the mufflers show the same # in the pic though because you can visually see the difference between the two there and in person.

V6 pipes are 2.25", GT are 2.5". Hard to say if there are actual differences on a dyno because I don't if anybody did back to back dynos for just that, but the sound does change a bit and the tips on the GT exhaust look better.

It also opens up the much wider market of used/new GT exhaust options. A cut and clamp GT x or h pipe will run you $125, the same for a V6 is usually double at least. Easier to find used axle-backs for the GT as well.

More options = lower prices (both used and new).
Thanks!

Sponsored

dguzzi

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'16 V6 w/051A Met. Guard w/foundry wheels
I think those figures must be different year? My v6 ('16) and the GT parts I used ('17) were all 1 piece. I mean no split at the 5A231 point (middle of the drawing)

ctandc72

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'19 GT 6 speed Base
Vehicle Showcase
I think those figures must be different year? My v6 ('16) and the GT parts I used ('17) were all 1 piece. I mean no split at the 5A231 point (middle of the drawing)
They are replacement parts - I assume the difference is having to ship a complete exhaust system and also being able to replace pieces as needed.

Jude

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Jude
Vehicle(s)
2015 Mustang V6 convertible
Hello everyone, I’ve been lurking for a few months while slowly accumulating ideas and used parts. I have a chance to get a used ROUSH axle back for $275. My questions are, and I apologize in advance both for the noob question and if this has been covered, will adding this plus a GT exhaust (can get for ~$50) add to anything, assuming it fits? I’m looking for a better sound, increased performance is obviously a plus but am realistic. I live in Florida which does not have inspection so am considering removing cats as well. I’d like to have all exhaust stuff done at the same time in order to be cost effective. My mechanic is good and affordable, plus he’s a welder.

My *thing* is modding on the cheap while learning how to do them.
I have a 2015 Oxford White convertible v6 running the canned SCT ($200) tune, Airaid track filter CAI ($160 used), upgraded stock GT wheels ($200) which I powder coated gloss black myself (not pretty but by the last one I got the hang of it so another set probably in the future!) with slightly staggered (265/50/18 in back) tires, and various trim pieces sprayed in canned black vinyl wrap. I am going to order the three bundle MPT tunes as soon as I can locate a coupon code. I also painted one caliper in red as I’m trying to decide if I like the look or not;)

I’ve been looking at the throttle body spacer that ZachMD made?

Thank you in advance and please lmk if I posted this is the wrong section. I’m brand new to Mustangs and modding but am having a blast!

Nagare

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 Lightning Blue V6
Vehicle Showcase
Is the Roush axleback off of a GT or a V6? If it is off a GT and you can transport the stock GT exhaust (you really should be able to find one for free, a lot of people get tired of seeing it sitting around, if not $50 isn't bad), it might be better to do that. Otherwise it'll constrict down to the 2.25" piping right at the muffler (can't say how much effect that would have on performance on a NA car).

Cat delete made a big difference on my car and it should be straight forward if he is a welder, just cut them out and replace with straight pipe.

Might want to move away from the canned tune though and at least get an MPT one. I'm not sure on the full combination of codes, but I've seen some $65 receipts lately O:

Zach's throttle body spacer is an adapter to fit the GT throttle body, a lot of people say the GT TB is too big, but plenty of people say it improved throttle response so who knows. If it's just a spacer, skip it.

ctandc72

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'19 GT 6 speed Base
Vehicle Showcase
If you are planning on ditching the cat converters, you might want to go to Youtube and search exhaust videos. A Roush Axleback plus eliminating the cat converters will give your 3.7 a TON of rasp and it will be loud. Adding shorty headers will change the tone, adding long tubes will change it even more. So if you plan on adding headers in the future - be prepared for your exhaust tone to change a lot.
Sponsored