Sponsored

Should the AC button be on or off during the winter use?

NoXiDe

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
GT350
Serious question, to my knowledge the A/C button just means the compressor is either active or not. Are there any issues leaving the A/C button on. A friend of mine is suggesting it be turned off as it's a motor that has no use being on. My counter point is if I decide to get cool air for whatever reason that it's ready to blow versus pressing it on; just adds an extra step.

Mechanically speaking does end of life arrive sooner than later due to it being actively turned on.
Sponsored

Last edited:

Ratfink53

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Don
Vehicle(s)
2018 Mustang GT premium
Your windows will steam up if you don’t in the cold weather.

swooshdave

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Dave
Vehicle(s)
2019 Mustang GT Premium
Vehicle Showcase
Air conditioners actually dehumidify the interior air. That is why you will see a puddle of water under the car if it sits with the AC running. That is the water that was removed.

Having been in Georgia more than once I can vouch for the humidity year round. Leave the AC running, but up to you.

OP
OP
NoXiDe

NoXiDe

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
GT350
If its blowing hot air tho.. does the A/C function of some kind of use?

swooshdave

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Dave
Vehicle(s)
2019 Mustang GT Premium
Vehicle Showcase
If its blowing hot air tho.. does the A/C function of some kind of use?
It's still dehydrating the air, regardless of the temperature setting.

Sponsored

Blue Moon

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Pete
Vehicle(s)
17 Ecoboost Perform Pack Std
It's cold and dry where I am, so I rarely run AC. If the windows are fogging up, I'll turn it on for a couple minutes until they clear up, then I can turn it off and they usually stay clear until I get out of the car.

I use recirc even less than AC. I don't think that's ever been on unless I bumped it by mistake.

Jay-rod427

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 GT C/S
The ac should intermittently come on with the defroster. It cycles the compressor and freon during the winter to keep it from locking up over a long period of no use.

tom_sprecher

Living Race Car Free
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 GT Premium PP 6MT Race Red
Year round I push the Auto button, set the desired temp, and let the climate system do the rest. I think it even turns on the Defroster if needed, but will have to verify.

On edit: It does redirect air to the windshield and side windows at the mirrors.

CrashOverride

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 Mustang GT
The ac should intermittently come on with the defroster. It cycles the compressor and freon during the winter to keep it from locking up over a long period of no use.
Like he ^^^ said...

No matter what you do, run the AC compressor regularly in the winter. If you run the AC but turn up the heat, you will still get hot air. The seals in the system only get effectively lubricated when oil flows through them. The oil is combined with the refrigerant and circulates when the compressor is turned on.

Condor1970

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Mustang GT
I leave the vents set to Windshield and Feet for the entire winter. For me it's the perfect combo to keep my feet warm, and keep the window from steaming or frosting up. There is nothing wrong with doing that. If anything it is good to have it running intermittently to prevent it from locking up. Also,it helps to maintain humidity in the cabin by removing moisture from the incoming air.

Sponsored

Monopoly

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 Mustang GT, 2012 Civic Si
I had a Taurus as a daily driver years ago never ran the AC for years. Then a super hot day came and I went to use it the compressor bearing seized. It's always good to run it every now and then to stop that from happening.

Ron

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Ron
Vehicle(s)
2019 Mustang GT PP2
The seals in the system only get effectively lubricated when oil flows thru them. The oil is combined w/the refrigerant & circulates when the compressor is turned on.
BINGO!!! That's all you need to know about running the A/C even in the winter months. How you do it is of no consequence. Only that that you do it. :thumbsup:

samanosuke47

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Jeremy
Vehicle(s)
2019 GT Premium
Just reinforcing what's already there. Yes it's safe to run. :)

Little story: A co-worker was complaining about his windows never defogging in winter, and I asked if his car wasn't kicking the compressor on when he turned on his defroster. It did but he'd turn it off, as he thought something was wrong and kicking it on. I told him next time he needs to defrost let it come on and stay on and watch how fast it defrosts. He was impressed, he always just associated cold air with his A/C, never realized they also remove moisture.
:like:
Sponsored