On the horns of a dilemma...

Hawkspring

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Darrin
Vehicle(s)
2018 GT350 2017F450
The Bullitt is the only Mustang that comes close to the GT350. With magneride, similar power, dual mode exhaust, and some interesting interior bits it makes a compelling alternative. For me, the new Bullitt exterior esthetics fall below the GT350, particularly the front fascia.

I think the 5.0 may be better from a long-term reliability standpoint, but the 5.2 voodoo is one of the all-time great motors. I think of it like the 1969 Boss 302 and 1969 Z28 motors for trans-am racing. Both are legendary, even though other engines from the time made similar power. They just stand out four decades later. The 5.2 is very exciting to drive.

I have already owned 3 supercharged mustangs and they are cool, but having a beautiful N/A motor is just a joy.
Sponsored

GTthree50

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Magnetic Grey 2017 GT350
I DD my Shelby, have the Recaro's and have no regrets. I do think the few of the engine comes down on what people are used to. I had air cooled 911's before this and having abundant low end torque was not a thing so driving the Shelby is no issue for me, but someone who loves the feel of stump pulling torque may feel different. Having driven lowered cars for many years the pitfalls of this car are basically nothing worth talking about but again it is largely a matter of what one is used to. As for resale, the Shelby will without doubt hold more value for much longer and may in time command higher prices despite the larger production numbers.

Tomster

Beware of idiots
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Tom
Vehicle(s)
'20 RR GT500R(CFTP), 18 OW GT350R Base, '17 AG GT350R Electronics Pack, '97 PG Cobra Convertible
He owns a GT350R. Bigger splitter, stiffer suspension. Harder to take day in and day out. Most R owners will dispute this, I expect. I think the Recaro seats get old after a while too. I know they did in my '15 GTPP.

I have a Convenience Pack equipped '17 GT350. It made a fantastic DD for the 1st year of ownership and I wouldn't have any problem dailying it again.
I've had both and would disagree.

If you can daily a regular 350, it would be about the same to daily an R. With that being said, I don't need a back seat. I live in FL and I don't need heated seats, etc, you get the drift. Both are great cars and I would without a doubt get an R over a regular simply for the kind of car it is and the rarity.

OP
OP

64Chevy

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Scott
Vehicle(s)
1964 Chevy C10, 1998 BMW M3, 2008 Lotus Exige 240S, 2013 911 C4S, 2015 Wrangler Rubicon
I drove a '16 GT350 today. Wow. It felt much stronger than the GT I drove, and I wasn't going above 4K RPMs. Possibly because it was broken in, but still. I get the Voodoo magic. Now just gotta decide '19 GT with a blower, or an '18 GT350. They are about the same price. I haven't driven a blown Mustang, but the GT350 does have something special about it though.

Tw00sh

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Robert
Vehicle(s)
2019 GT350, 1965 Mustang Coupe
If you get the GT350 just pick up a set of GT350 or GT350R replica wheels from SVE and put some 285/35/19 Michelin Pilot Sport A/S 3+ on them daily driving. The wheels are about $900/set and save about 40lbs over the factory wheels.
I did exactly this. Sound advice right here.

Sponsored

ace_gt350

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Ace
Vehicle(s)
2017 Shelby gt350
I drove a '16 GT350 today. Wow. It felt much stronger than the GT I drove, and I wasn't going above 4K RPMs. Possibly because it was broken in, but still. I get the Voodoo magic. Now just gotta decide '19 GT with a blower, or an '18 GT350. They are about the same price. I haven't driven a blown Mustang, but the GT350 does have something special about it though.
Go for the GT350!

LFG_Cory

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Cory
Vehicle(s)
2018 SHELBY GT350 LEAD FOOT GREY

Schwerin

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Mustang
I am not sure if the OP is aware of the Performance Package Level 2. I had originally started out ordering this package. It's a great setup. Only 100 are being produced. Someday it may be something hang on to. Or so I am told.

Read about it here: https://www.cjponyparts.com/resources/2018-mustang-gt-performance-package-level-2
There are many more than 100 out there. Last I heard the 2018 was limited to 1500 due to production time but 2019 the doors are wide open to make as many as they can sell.

madlag

Snake Charmer
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 GT350R, 2022 GT500
Great info everyone--some comments back.

Madlag--surprised to hear you say the GT350 is not a good daily--I dailied a Lotus Exige for a while--that makes the GT350 look like a limo.

Hack--why do you say the GT350 doesn't feel integrated? I'd assumed it would be more tied down, more solid, and more like all the bits worked together than the GT.

Everyone--I really appreciate the feedback about the seats, and the tire suggestions.

This is all very helpful.
He owns a GT350R. Bigger splitter, stiffer suspension. Harder to take day in and day out. Most R owners will dispute this, I expect. I think the Recaro seats get old after a while too. I know they did in my '15 GTPP.

I have a Convenience Pack equipped '17 GT350. It made a fantastic DD for the 1st year of ownership and I wouldn't have any problem dailying it again.
X2. I'll add my spin to two items. If you're concerned about resale, keep moving on down the aisle and find something else. Not that it's a problem, just that from my friends and acquaintances, most of us bought this car with the intentions (even if only in our own minds) of keeping forever. Also, speaking for me, the pros and cons of this car compared to anything else are irrelevant. I was buying this or...I don't know what I would have done. If not this, I would have gone with a Factory Five car, but nothing else new. A GT was not even a comparison point for me. Seats and stripes are 100% personal preference and no matter how much you may appreciate our opinions and inputs, they could not be more irrelevant. Me? Since you asked...No way I'd have this car without the Recaro's.
100% on all of this. My R is a pain in the ass around town, bad roads etc. recaros are hard to get in and out of and the car is very low. Again, ability to DD is a personal opinion and will vary from person to person. I also feel it’s a waste of wear and tear on the car to drive it to the mail box lmao.

Lorne34

Project Hidalgo
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Lorne
Vehicle(s)
2019 GT350
Vehicle Showcase
I am in the same situation. I have owned a 2016 GT coupe and now own a 2017 GT convertible, but have been looking at the GT350's for a while. The GT's just feel front end heavy to me, the 350 is nimble and feels like a smaller car than it actually is. From my perspective the GT will never be at the level of a 350 no matter how much you mod them. I would encourage you to google Jay Leno's garage for the video on his GT350R.
As far as the GT350 seats go....I have sat in and test driven both the Recaros and the Heated/cooled leather. I am not a big guy (5'7" , 150lbs) but getting in and out of the recaros with the high bolstering was a chore unless you manually pull the seat back each time. I can see the argument of other guys on this thread though.... if you are not going to DD and want the support for track then the recaros are the way to go. My 2017 GT Vert is the california special model which has the same seat composite as the GT350 in terms of leather with alcantara inserts. I love them as they do hold you in better than a full leather seat and they never get overly hot in the summer, even if I would leave the top down. I'm pretty much sold on the convenience pkg with the leather seats. They are in the minority as most 350's come with the recaros, but they can be found. The other thing I will comment on is the stripes. I am not a big stripe guy and I understand the whole shelby mystique. Just about everyone I spoke to stated that the vinyl stripes from Ford do not hold up well and are susceptible to scratches, swirls, bubbling, etc.. If you plan on keeping the car long term and want stripes I would recommend removing the stripes and having them painted on (finally an option from Ford on the new GT500). The 350's look great either way. There is a you tuber called obsessed garage who purchased a magnetic 350 and removed the stripes due to his OCD with the imperfections. His final detail job after stripe removal was stunning...The other option is to just leave them and if they wear out go stripe less or find a good vinyl shop and have them replaced. Good luck with your search...

Sponsored

LFG_Cory

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Cory
Vehicle(s)
I
As far as the GT350 seats go....I have sat in and test driven both the Recaros and the Heated/cooled leather. I am not a big guy (5'7" , 150lbs) but getting in and out of the recaros with the high bolstering was a chore unless you manually pull the seat back each time.
I crush my nads on the bolstering often getting in and out.....OUCH!!!

Hack

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Mustang, Camaro
Hack--why do you say the GT350 doesn't feel integrated? I'd assumed it would be more tied down, more solid, and more like all the bits worked together than the GT.
The suspension is firmer in the GT350, which I love. And the GT350 has great body control.

On integration I'm talking about tiny little nits like how the cruise works when you click on it. You can tell on the regular Mustang GT, Ford knew they were going to sell many, many more cars so they spent a little more time on integrating some of those features. The GT350 is a little more raw.

Another integration example - sometimes a Voodoo will surge a little bit when it's cold under partial throttle. Many here have noticed it. I don't find it to be a huge deal, but that doesn't happen on a regular GT with a Coyote. The regular GT has all those tiny things completely ironed out. I'm sure a blown GT will have some little odd things with it as well. I'd think any aftermarket tune will not be quite as good as the factory tune in that respect.

Update--drove a '19 GT manual, but otherwise a pretty base car. I was very impressed overall but to me the Coyote is still a "cammer"--it needs revs to make impressive power. I did find the better seats (I sat in a Bullitt) to be very comfortable, and to me a better choice than the Recaros in a daily driver (but they would suck on the track, but then again I think anything without a 5 or 6 point restraint sucks on the track).
IMO the Voodoo is essentially a Coyote turned up to 11. They have very similar characteristics, but the Voodoo is more hot rodded. I agree with you that a harness is needed on track, no matter what seats you choose. A 4 point like Schroth offers works well IMO.

LFG_Cory

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Cory
Vehicle(s)
If I were to buy a GT, I'd buy the GT PPL2. That's the closest you'll get to a GT350 without buying one and it's a ton better than PPL1.
Sponsored