Sponsored

2.3 EcoBoost vs. GT from Value POV

apx632

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Ecoboost Mustang Stock- 13.64@100 1/4 mile
Your post indicates you are strictly valuing performance. Fine.

But not everyone checks that box first or puts as much importance on performance as you do.

Sometimes 80 percent of "great" is good enough if other boxes that are important to you can slso be checked.
Only box it has to check over the v8 is gas mileage.
Sponsored

tw557

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
16 GT automatic
Yeah I agree the gt does feel fine around town. But just fine. I was hoping for more as I was expecting old school short shifting torque from the gt. I've had tuned turbo cars in the past and driven turbo BMW and have grown to love that "whoa" when rolling on the throttle at low or mid rpm. I haven't driven a tuned GT though. That might satisfy me.

magnetticmadness

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 mustang gt premium OW 10spd
I really have to disagree with you on these points. But again everything regarding "value" is going to be COMPLETELY subjective. Realistically v8's are going away and everyone knows that. I hope you do too lol. Ford is NOT the only pioneer in replacing displacement for turbos and bigger power. EVERY Audi, Mercedes, BMW and so on essentially is downsizing most of the range of cars because of emission standards and fuel economy. I have had 3 GT's and I loved every one of them. I also had a 350z before anything and to this day that was my favorite all around car. Why? Lighter, more nimble, better mpg and a great engine with longstanding proven track durability. Literally, the best point above all though is that you CANNOT use 435 or 460hp on any street in the U.S unless its a highway onramp. And who knows maybe your life requires highway onramps all the time so a gt would be great. I'm sorry but you cannot argue against the fact that the ecoboost or any turbo 4/6 cylinder is more effective than a v8 aside adding boatloads more power. A 400 WHP golf R is literally 0 to felony real quick. It's honestly useless unless you want to track your car all the time. That would be the ONLY reason a higher displacement car is better.

Vicr

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Vic
Vehicle(s)
2015 Mustang Ecoboost Premium
Back in the day when I was running 383 stroker motors in my Chevys I had two expressions:
There is no substitute for cubic inches.
There is no replacement for displacement.

Not true any more. Times have changed, technology has changed and engines have certainly changed. I'll be the first one in line to buy a twin turbo V-6 Mustang.

magnetticmadness

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 mustang gt premium OW 10spd
Back in the day when I was running 383 stroker motors in my Chevys I had two expressions:
There is no substitute for cubic inches.
There is no replacement for displacement.

Not true any more. Times have changed, technology has changed and engines have certainly changed. I'll be the first one in line to buy a twin turbo V-6 Mustang.
HELL YEAH lol

Sponsored

Thatguy

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Lightning Blue Convertible (sold)
I drove GTs and the EcoBoost before I thought about buying a Mustang. I never really thought much of the EB when I got in them. Go On 3 nailed it when he wrote - the GT's sound like sex. I smile every time I start one of them. The reason I didn't go with a GT is I know what would happen. I'd be constantly seeing redline as I rowed through the gears. I'd be going through 2-3 tanks of gas each week and it would get expensive to drive the car. I'd love it but I was also trying to be practical. I wanted a convertible that looks good, is fun to drive and gets decent mileage. The EcoBoost puts check marks in all of those boxes. It can be fun to drive but I'll be less likely to hammer it all the time.

Redcruzer

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Chris
Vehicle(s)
2015 eco boost premium convertible, Ruby red
Why is that?

If money were no object, that still wouldn’t be true. If cost is a factor, for the price of a coyote upgrade you could get a convertible, or a fully loaded EB. Those are some pretty big boxes to many.

Redcruzer

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Chris
Vehicle(s)
2015 eco boost premium convertible, Ruby red
I really have to disagree with you on these points. But again everything regarding "value" is going to be COMPLETELY subjective. Realistically v8's are going away and everyone knows that. I hope you do too lol. Ford is NOT the only pioneer in replacing displacement for turbos and bigger power. EVERY Audi, Mercedes, BMW and so on essentially is downsizing most of the range of cars because of emission standards and fuel economy. I have had 3 GT's and I loved every one of them. I also had a 350z before anything and to this day that was my favorite all around car. Why? Lighter, more nimble, better mpg and a great engine with longstanding proven track durability. Literally, the best point above all though is that you CANNOT use 435 or 460hp on any street in the U.S unless its a highway onramp. And who knows maybe your life requires highway onramps all the time so a gt would be great. I'm sorry but you cannot argue against the fact that the ecoboost or any turbo 4/6 cylinder is more effective than a v8 aside adding boatloads more power. A 400 WHP golf R is literally 0 to felony real quick. It's honestly useless unless you want to track your car all the time. That would be the ONLY reason a higher displacement car is better.

Your point about the extra power being somewhat useless hit home today. I live three miles from a Ferrari, Lamborghini dealership and had to suffer through some poor guy trying to drive is brand new Lamborghini in heavy traffic with literally no where to go. All he could do was rev his engine. It was pathetic, lol. And it’s always heavy traffic around here. Hell, even the freeway on ramps have metering lights.

apx632

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Ecoboost Mustang Stock- 13.64@100 1/4 mile
Very valid points here. Main one I disagree with is you can utlize a 460hp car fine without going to a track. Just may not be legal. That aside I agree with most everything else. I don't know if v8's will disappear all together, I think companies will start doing like the euro car makers and using boost with v8's to help get power but try and keep some kind of fuel economy. If they don't, no biggy, there are plenty of boosted 4, 5, and 6 cylinder vehicles that are a blast to drive, and even some non boosted ones as well. Like the 350z, I'm completely agree with you on those being one of the most fun cars ever to drive, and for all the same reasons you listed. Plus the shifter in those from the factory were solid as hell which made gear changes easy, sorry for the ramble there, love those cars.

prostovovatt

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Orange Fury Ecoboost Manual Performance Pack
Look guys, I think all discussions here - and I was going to reply to a number of the comments since I was last replied to - Comes to personal preference and buying what you feel like you should.

GTs are incredible cars
EBs are a marvel of modern Ford engineering

Drive what you have, buy what you feel like buying and enjoy.

If I had the money right now I would have all mustangs from across the line in my garage.

The EB fit my needs and for a lot of people the GT fits theirs, thats why ford makes the mustang with different engines.

Sponsored

offcamber

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Magnetic GT - Premium/PP
When I was driving a Ferrari 308 then later a 328 I thought they were great and I didn’t want any more performance but maybe better air conditioning :).
Today’s 550 Ecoboost has better immediate value, it’s more comfortable and just as competent.

The sound and resale value of a Ferrari is a different story.

SVO MkII

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Ecoboost, 6sp, PP, 2017 GT Convertible
One arguably minor advantage of the Ecoboost is the ability to do HPDE without adding a diff cooler. From what I've read, it is virtually impossible (for an experienced driver) to use a GT for HPDE without the ECU putting the car into limp mode due to excessive diff oil temps. The lower power output of the Ecoboost keeps the diff temps a bit lower. Probably not a concern for 99.9% of Mustang buyers, but it mattered (a little) to me (those diff oil coolers aren't cheap!).

And it's 170 lbs lighter in the nose ;)

prostovovatt

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Orange Fury Ecoboost Manual Performance Pack
That was my point - that weight up front makes a big difference in feel.

Idaho2018GTPremium

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Camaro ZL1 A10
I will agree to no end that Ford has created a VERY good RACE motor out of the 5.0. Much better for racing. Considering it is normally aspirated, they needed to make some compromises when it comes to daily driving torque. Because of this, the GT is not that great at being powerful in the lower rpms where street driving comes into play most of the time. So for street driving, especially with a tune, the ecoboost can be a heck of a bargain. But yes, not the best option to go full on racing with the ecoboost even though some guys are really getting then down and around the tracks pretty quick.
I'm sure the Ecoboost is fairly fun and the turbo probably produces nice low end torque. But the above comment about daily street driving isn't true for my '18 GT A10 PP1. It has plenty of torque between 2-3k to accelerate around town faster than I normally need to with the flow of traffic up to highway speeds. Sure, it doesn't "wow" you until about 4k in mid-range gears, but get on it in 1st or 2nd at 2,500 rpm, and it lurches forward immensely. And knowing that more than 460 hp is on tap with a full blip of the throttle is great. And yes, on the highway in 9th or 10th gear at under 2k rpm, it's not impressive, but most cars aren't. Also, on highway passing, I can easily pass in 7th gear while under 3k rpms without much effort and nowhere near full throttle. If I need more, well, 3rd/4th gear is always available with a WOT push.

bluebeastsrt

Oh boy
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
BigD
Vehicle(s)
Ruby red 2019 GT Premium.
I'm sure the Ecoboost is fairly fun and the turbo probably produces nice low end torque. But the above comment about daily street driving isn't true for my '18 GT A10 PP1. It has plenty of torque between 2-3k to accelerate around town faster than I normally need to with the flow of traffic up to highway speeds. Sure, it doesn't "wow" you until about 4k in mid-range gears, but get on it in 1st or 2nd at 2,500 rpm, and it lurches forward immensely. And knowing that more than 460 hp is on tap with a full blip of the throttle is great. And yes, on the highway in 9th or 10th gear at under 2k rpm, it's not impressive, but most cars aren't. Also, on highway passing, I can easily pass in 7th gear while under 3k rpms without much effort and nowhere near full throttle. If I need more, well, 3rd/4th gear is always available with a WOT push.
It’s a myth. There isn’t anywhere on a graph where your giving up torque. To the smaller engine
Sponsored