Here’s what my oil looks like at 4000 miles

iBookmaster

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Robert
Vehicle(s)
2018 Ruby Red Ecoboost Premium
Put it in a clear container and dipped a sheet of inkjet photo paper in it and let it run off. Currently using Mag1 full synthetic. My initial oil change after buying new was at 900 miles and was surprised how dark it was then. I’ve never had an engine turn oil dark this fast. I’ll just change it often!. This oil change is the first time using the larger Wix 51516XP filter!
689172F6-16E0-4537-933C-C83232F236F5.jpeg
Sponsored

jasonstang

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 GB GT/CS 6MT
Nah, not too far off from my WRX engine. Turbos darken oil quick but it doesn't mean the oil is bad.
This is why I tell people don't change first oil change that early. When first oil is changed that early, people tend to wait longer on the second oil change when the rings are still not sealed. Usually I do first oil change at 3000, and second one after 4000 so the rings will be seated by then.

OP
OP

iBookmaster

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Robert
Vehicle(s)
Nah, not too far off from my WRX engine. Turbos darken oil quick but it doesn't mean the oil is bad.
This is why I tell people don't change first oil change that early. When first oil is changed that early, people tend to wait longer on the second oil change when the rings are still not sealed. Usually I do first oil change at 3000, and second one after 4000 so the rings will be seated by then.

I changed my first oil change at 900 miles to get any possible metal shavings out. Opinions vary on first oil changes. As far as this oil change photo, I posted this photo to my facebook page and this is what my mechanic nephew said:
newer cars have low tension piston rings to improve fuel economy and forced induction motors require extra ring gap to allow for more expansion so there is lots of combustion getting past the rings to the crankcase. Imagine what it looks like coming out of a BMW with twin turbos following the manufacturers suggested 15,000 mile oil change intervals

gmupatriot

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Mustang GT (Orange Fury), 401A, A10, 3.55
OP, I wouldnt be too concerned. My 2018 GT with 21,xxx miles is right at 4000 miles on its 4th oil change with PUP 5W-20 with a Morotcraft FL500S filter and the oil looks kinda like what yours is like.

Sponsored

jacknifetoaswan

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Race Red Mustang GT Premium Performance Pack
Without a used oil analysis, the color of your oil means absolutely nothing.

JR

OP
OP

iBookmaster

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Robert
Vehicle(s)
Actually it does. There is visual evidence that either heat and or carbon is turning the oil black. Which is most likely better? Dirty oil or clean oil? I think we know the answer to that. Put another way, would you like to fill your engine with my used 4000-5000 mile oil or new, off the shelf oil? I’m changing it sooner rather than later to refresh it at 4000-5000 miles.

Look at the next to last paragraph in this engine builder article on solving GDI issues. It says “Chemically, oil after a year in a vehicle may have lubricant value, but the big problem is the dirt that’s in suspension that sticks to the oil. When you’re changing your oil you’re flushing out the dirt from the crankcase.”
https://www.enginebuildermag.com/2018/10/stoker-ls-engines/

Clean oil is better than dirty oil.

Last edited:

jasonstang

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 GB GT/CS 6MT
I changed my first oil change at 900 miles to get any possible metal shavings out. Opinions vary on first oil changes. As far as this oil change photo, I posted this photo to my facebook page and this is what my mechanic nephew said:
newer cars have low tension piston rings to improve fuel economy and forced induction motors require extra ring gap to allow for more expansion so there is lots of combustion getting past the rings to the crankcase. Imagine what it looks like coming out of a BMW with twin turbos following the manufacturers suggested 15,000 mile oil change intervals
I have seen engines shed metal after 8000 miles.
It doesn't matter really because it will be all filtered out by the filter if its big enough to cause damage.

GregO

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
S550 GTPP
BMW revised their OCI in 2014 to 10,000 miles.
A few OEM’s are at 15,000 OCI when using dealer only oil. (ie. Castrol Edge Professional )
I sleep well at night running 0W-20 Edge Professional or Edge Extended Performance right up to 10,000 miles.

GregO

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
S550 GTPP
I have seen engines shed metal after 8000 miles.
It doesn't matter really because it will be all filtered out by the filter if its big enough to cause damage.
Engines shed metal until the day they stop running and not a millisecond less.
There’s only a hand full of labs in the world that are capable of determining if metallic particles are benign.
Blackstone isn’t on the list of labs.
Higher “Fe” number don’t necessarily equal abnormal wear.

Sponsored

sZedely

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Aaron
Vehicle(s)
2019 Mustang GT PP1
Engines shed metal until the day they stop running and not a millisecond less.
There’s only a hand full of labs in the world that are capable of determining if metallic particles are benign.
Blackstone isn’t on the list of labs.
Higher “Fe” number don’t necessarily equal abnormal wear.
Just out of curiosity and ignorance, but what labs have the capability to tell if metallic particles are benign? I haven't sent oil in myself, but I am interested once I do get my Mustang. It would be nice to get a good and accurate analysis.

GregO

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
S550 GTPP
Actually it does. There is visual evidence that either heat and or carbon is turning the oil black. Which is most likely better? Dirty oil or clean oil? I think we know the answer to that. Put another way, would you like to fill your engine with my used 4000-5000 mile oil or new, off the shelf oil? I’m changing it sooner rather than later to refresh it at 4000-5000 miles.

Look at the next to last paragraph in this engine builder article on solving GDI issues. It says “Chemically, oil after a year in a vehicle may have lubricant value, but the big problem is the dirt that’s in suspension that sticks to the oil. When you’re changing your oil you’re flushing out the dirt from the crankcase.”
https://www.enginebuildermag.com/2018/10/stoker-ls-engines/

Clean oil is better than dirty oil.
The pigment of used oil from a healthy motor has nothing to do with the performance of the oil or its remaining service life.
This topic is about TBN’s
The notion that dark pigmented used oil in a healthy motor = dirty oil = bad for my motor is a complete fallacy.

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Total_base_number

Last edited:

GregO

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
S550 GTPP
Just out of curiosity and ignorance, but what labs have the capability to tell if metallic particles are benign? I haven't sent oil in myself, but I am interested once I do get my Mustang. It would be nice to get a good and accurate analysis.
Company’s such as large OEM’s that develop oil blends and perform endurance testing have this sophisticated measuring equipment. John Deere is one, Ford is another. Etc.
This is high level testing not available to the layman looking to test their used motor oil.

boB

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
boB
Vehicle(s)
2019 GT PP1
Caterpillar dealers used to offer fluid analysis services for non-Cat engines. I don't know if they still do but it is worth asking a dealer.

Cobra Jet

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 EB Prem. w/PP and 94 Mustang Cobra
Eh, Pepsi, Coke and some good Lagers look the same color...

Modern oils today are good up to 7500, as stated above some up to 15k. My first oil change in my prior 2016 was at 5k and the first oil change in my 2018 was at 9k... some will shriek at those facts, others will say it’s not horrible.

Why waste money changing oil at less than the recommended interval, other than having OCD and worrying that the sky is falling?
Sponsored