Sponsored

Who worries about what mods will do to their warranty?

Thatguy

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Lightning Blue Convertible (sold)
I've read a number of threads where people talked about waiting to do mods until the warranty is over. While I appreciate having a warranty incase something happens, life is to short to miss out on a better driving experience. On one hand, dealers aren't supposed to deny warranty coverage unless something you do actually causes the problem. On the other hand, they can say the car is no longer factory spec so the upgrades contributed to the problem. There are a number of EcoBoom threads here. Some cars were covered by the factory warranty (stock and modified vehicles) while other modified cars weren't.

I recently talked to someone at my local dealer. He told me the only mod I can do without voiding my warranty is the Ford Performance Pack. It's better than nothing but it's not as aggressive as others that are available. Actually, the Ford tune isn't available for the 2018+ cars yet so I'd still have to wait.

For my situation, I recently purchase a certified pre-owned 2018 convertible. It has 12K miles on the odometer so the bumper to bumper coverage will take care of it for just over 3 years and 36K miles. The powertrain is covered for another 6 1/2 years or 100K miles. I've had a number of performance cars in the past. Some in the 500-700 RWHP range. It's been about 10 years since I've had something fun to drive. I didn't buy this to be a race car but I'd like it to be more fun than stock. Maybe get it into the low 13s. I was thinking a tune, replacement filter, Airaid tube, BOV and upgrade the intercooler/tubing. So I'm kind of torn. I can do these upgrades and never have a problem. I can do them, have a problem but still have it covered under warranty or they see some aftermarket parts and want me to pay for the repair.
Sponsored

Cardude99

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Sam
Vehicle(s)
2018 Ecoboost
The only upgrade that I am aware of that would have a high probability of voiding the warranty is a tune. I can not think of anything else that could cause or even be blamed for making the engine go boom. So I would say make that your last upgrade if you want to preserve warranty.

OP
OP
Thatguy

Thatguy

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
I spoke with the service manager at another Ford dealer in my area today. This time I was specific. I told him I want to do a few upgrades to improve the performance of the car then I asked I'd have any problems with the warranty if I install an aftermarket intercooler and catted down pipe. He said no. He then suggested I speak with a certain person at their other location. He's in charge of the performance division so he'd be able to provide me with more details. That's the person who told me I can only use the Ford tune/induction. Anything else would void the warranty. I guess the dealer I was at today will be the one that does my service and warranty work if I need it.

I guess in the end it depends on the dealer.

Chef jpd

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
John
Vehicle(s)
2020 GT PP1 6M, Grab ass lime. Ex: 2016 EB PPP CO
Vehicle Showcase
My warranty is up in 4 months.
Been tuned and fairly modded since month 1.
Never been back to the dealer for anything other than free inspections.
I never worried about issues.
I had a Focus ST for 3 years (tuned heavily) and had the same rock solid reliability.

BigBootyJudy

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 w/ AT | Oxford White w/ Black Accent Package
Most dealers aren’t going to turn away a customer for a warranty claim if they’ve done bolt on mods. Or even a tune. A big part of dealerships revenue is generated from warranty work and recalls. Best thing to do is establish a good relationship with the service manager at your local dealership. Take your car in for oil changes, it’s only 35 bucks at my dealership. Plus it establishes a digital fingerprint for all the maintenance done on the car which will increase resale and trade in value. With that said, I pretty much voided my warranty after the car was broke in. Installed the COBB stage 1 OTS tune. Thankfully I’m at a point in life with certain financial stability and can afford to fix my car if something catastrophic happens. I just finished all my bolt ons and waiting on my tune form Adam at Tune +. Can’t wait to see how much of a difference it makes!

Last edited:

Sponsored

DTMR19

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Dan
Vehicle(s)
2018 Kona Blue EcoBoost 101A Package
I am also curious on the specifics of when the warranty becomes voided.
I added a K&N replacement air filter which improved bottom end response. Top end power still fell off past 5300 rpm. K&N claims that their filter does not void the warranty.
I also added an SR Performance Throttle body spacer. That actually smoothed out the top end. Revs out to red line much cleaner. The slight whine/whistle that it adds is interesting. It is placed behind the throttle body and connects directly to the block. I am worried something so simple could void the warranty.
My plans are FBO, Intercooler and piping, and catted 3 inch sport exhaust. No tune to avoid EcoBoom.

BigBootyJudy

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
I am also curious on the specifics of when the warranty becomes voided.
I added a K&N replacement air filter which improved bottom end response. Top end power still fell off past 5300 rpm. K&N claims that their filter does not void the warranty.
I also added an SR Performance Throttle body spacer. That actually smoothed out the top end. Revs out to red line much cleaner. The slight whine/whistle that it adds is interesting. It is placed behind the throttle body and connects directly to the block. I am worried something so simple could void the warranty.
My plans are FBO, Intercooler and piping, and catted 3 inch sport exhaust. No tune to avoid EcoBoom.
Honestly, if you’re not going to do a tune I would just do the DP and intercooler. You’ll need a tune if you do FBO.

OP
OP
Thatguy

Thatguy

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
When people say "void the warranty", are they referring to the entire powertrain warranty or a specific claim not being covered? For example, a car with induction/exhaust upgrades, BOV, upgraded intercooler and a tune goes in with a problem that is determined to be a bad sensor. None of those upgrades are going to cause that sensor to go bad so it should be covered. Same car with an oil pump failure that takes out the engine. None of those upgrades have anything to do with that pump so it should be covered. Let's change the problem to something like a blown head gasket, blown turbo seal or a rod hanging out of the block. The problem might end up being blamed on the mods. Do they have to prove it?

I believe I read a thread from someone here who had an injector go bad. It took out the motor. The car wasn't stock but they still covered it because the mods didn't cause the problem.

apx632

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Ecoboost Mustang Stock- 13.64@100 1/4 mile
A dealer can tell you whatever. In the end no matter the mod they have to actually prove it was the cause of the failure. Even a tune. I remember a guy on here who was able to get his motor replaced and he was on an e30 tune when it blew. And it was because he went in (very professionally) of course and asked them to show proof of where his modifications caused the failure. Dealer could not provide that proof thus he got a new engine.

BigBootyJudy

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
A dealer can tell you whatever. In the end no matter the mod they have to actually prove it was the cause of the failure. Even a tune. I remember a guy on here who was able to get his motor replaced and he was on an e30 tune when it blew. And it was because he went in (very professionally) of course and asked them to show proof of where his modifications caused the failure. Dealer could not provide that proof thus he got a new engine.
Exactly. The dealership has the burden of proving the failure was directly related to said "mod". Without a detailed analysis and report to prove their case, they can't deny a warranty claim.

Sponsored

Hellman109

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 Mustang Ecoboost Convertible (See my garage)
Vehicle Showcase
Ive had a dealer say that a window not rolling up properly isn't a warranty issue, took a month to resolve that one.

Dealers are a pack of lieing bastards, and yes they flat out lied to me.

OP
OP
Thatguy

Thatguy

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
I have all of my planned bolt-ons ordered. The only thing left is the tune. I was one click away from completing my order for an Accessport but I keep remembering my CPO warranty that says "Powertrain Warranty Expiration Date 05/29/25 or up to a total of 100,000 miles".

El_Centenario

5L V8PWR
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
David
Vehicle(s)
'15 Mustang GT Triple Yellow
I have all of my planned bolt-ons ordered. The only thing left is the tune. I was one click away from completing my order for an Accessport but I keep remembering my CPO warranty that says "Powertrain Warranty Expiration Date 05/29/25 or up to a total of 100,000 miles".
So what did you decide? Did you mod or are you waiting for 2025?

Interceptor

Daily Driver
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 California Special A10
Every dealer if different, also depends on how they are getting along with their spouses that day, whether they approve of you, etc.... Since you were driven to purchase your car because of warranty then it would be foolish for you to make one modification.
Make sure you use there service departments for regular services. Never race the car.
Then you can sleep at night.

People who go for more power and performance understand they are stepping out of the grace's of Ford Motor Company, we are willing to take the chance. If the motor going to blow, it's in the cards when it leaves the factory. It's a chance we take, we take responsibility for our actions and don't blame Ford when we add 33% more horsepower and torque to a designed commuter vehicle.
If you buy a 150 pickup and load 2 tons of rocks on it would you expect dealer to repair damage?
Moding is for risk takers, not bean counters

Deleted member

I've read a number of threads where people talked about waiting to do mods until the warranty is over. While I appreciate having a warranty incase something happens, life is to short to miss out on a better driving experience. On one hand, dealers aren't supposed to deny warranty coverage unless something you do actually causes the problem. On the other hand, they can say the car is no longer factory spec so the upgrades contributed to the problem. There are a number of EcoBoom threads here. Some cars were covered by the factory warranty (stock and modified vehicles) while other modified cars weren't.

I recently talked to someone at my local dealer. He told me the only mod I can do without voiding my warranty is the Ford Performance Pack. It's better than nothing but it's not as aggressive as others that are available. Actually, the Ford tune isn't available for the 2018+ cars yet so I'd still have to wait.

For my situation, I recently purchase a certified pre-owned 2018 convertible. It has 12K miles on the odometer so the bumper to bumper coverage will take care of it for just over 3 years and 36K miles. The powertrain is covered for another 6 1/2 years or 100K miles. I've had a number of performance cars in the past. Some in the 500-700 RWHP range. It's been about 10 years since I've had something fun to drive. I didn't buy this to be a race car but I'd like it to be more fun than stock. Maybe get it into the low 13s. I was thinking a tune, replacement filter, Airaid tube, BOV and upgrade the intercooler/tubing. So I'm kind of torn. I can do these upgrades and never have a problem. I can do them, have a problem but still have it covered under warranty or they see some aftermarket parts and want me to pay for the repair.
The question you need to ask yourself is, "if the dealers not gonna cover it, am I willing to pay for it?" If you get the mod bug once you start down the rabbit hole it's pretty hard to turn back.
Sponsored