Sponsored

Catted headers

Mikeextrafast

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 GT premium performance package
How much louder will a set of catted headers add? I have a Magna Flow street cat back system now
Sponsored

Zelek

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Matt
Vehicle(s)
2021 Mustang Mach 1
Still a lot. If your catback is really tame while stock, you will be okay.

AZ18yote

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Bryan
Vehicle(s)
2018 Mustang GT Prem PP Magnetic
Still a lot. If your catback is really tame while stock, you will be okay.
This.

Even stock cat back will be quite a bit louder but still not crazy til you go more aggressive.

Burkey

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Mustang GT
Vehicle Showcase
You’ll be fine with catted headers and the MF Street. I used to run that exact setup and it wasn’t stupid loud. Quite nice in fact. No drone was another bonus.
De-catting and adding a blower takes it back to stupid though.

Joe 5.0

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 Mustang GT/PP
Vehicle Showcase
Catted headers are still really loud based on which catback you're running. Don't for a second think that high flow cats will tame your exhaust volume. They're "high flow" for a reason.

Magnaflow, in my opinion, is a more quieter exhaust compared to the rest of the other brands, so I think you'll be OK. However, exhaust tone and volume are subjective.

Here's a video I found of your setup with catless headers:

Sponsored

Dragster

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 GT PP
Headers add a lot of volume. I have Kooks "green" catted headers with a Borla S-type catback, and I measured 101 dB at full throttle INSIDE the car with the windows down. I don't recall the sound level with the windows up--it obviously wasn't nearly as loud--but it's still significantly louder than the stock headers. If you ever track your car, just be cognizant of the fact that some tracks have dB limits. I bought the Magnaflow resonator to replace the X-pipe in my catback to tone down the volume for track days.

Biggsy

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Warren
Vehicle(s)
'17 GT PP, '10 Tundra
Headers add a lot of volume. I have Kooks "green" catted headers with a Borla S-type catback, and I measured 101 dB at full throttle INSIDE the car with the windows down. I don't recall the sound level with the windows up--it obviously wasn't nearly as loud--but it's still significantly louder than the stock headers. If you ever track your car, just be cognizant of the fact that some tracks have dB limits. I bought the Magnaflow resonator to replace the X-pipe in my catback to tone down the volume for track days.
Would you happen to have to have a clip? I have the FRPP sport with h pipe and thinking about catted headers with the Borla resonator(to cut rasp) but was also leaning towards switching out the sport for the Atak or s-type so it’s not too quiet or stock header volume

Dragster

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 GT PP
Would you happen to have to have a clip? I have the FRPP sport with h pipe and thinking about catted headers with the Borla resonator(to cut rasp) but was also leaning towards switching out the sport for the Atak or s-type so it’s not too quiet or stock header volume
No I don’t, sorry. I actually haven’t installed the resonator yet, but I picked it up because I knew I would need it at some track days. My plan is to put it on before spring. I recall watching a YouTube video of a guy that compared the FRPP Sport with the S-type on a car with headers, both with x-pipe in place and the resonator. I’ll try to find the link tonight and post it. I think he went with S-type and the resonator.

Chad11491

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
17 Lightning Blue GT Premium PP
probably 50% louder. I had an ARH catback and went to a full ARH catted setup and it's really tame. loud, but tame. It's quieter than corsa sports / extremes or borla atak's and the like with stock headers. It's stock quiet when cruising and screams when you get on it. You'll probably be ok with the volume with the exhaust you mentioned.

Joe 5.0

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 Mustang GT/PP
Vehicle Showcase
I might have a video for you. Have to check later.

Sponsored

Zelek

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Matt
Vehicle(s)
2021 Mustang Mach 1
I added Vibrant resonators to my Corsa Sport setup to get rid of the raspy sound. It wasn't near as bad as the Extremes with rasp but it was there. It's still very loud which is great, but the sound is more refined without the rasp so I feel like it's the perfect setup for me now.

gqneon

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
18 GT PP / Manual
Any of the resonator setups you're running - I'd love to see some videos to hear them especially cold starts or whatever you've got. I'm catless and MBRP street but it's loud as hell blown/e85. Weighing out my options.

To the OP - I had Stainless Power catted headers and Magnaflow street catback on my second 2015 GT (blower and E85 also). It gained volume but was honestly perfect. My 18 with Pypes and MBRP is way too loud - and I blame no cats - it's was a defining moment in the sound of my car.

OP
OP

Mikeextrafast

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
I am getting ready to be blower and E85 .. how much better will the catted headers be? Would it be worth doing ?

gqneon

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
18 GT PP / Manual
Cats and high horsepower don't always play nice. I did it on my first blower mustang and was fine but I really dont want cats with big power. Afraid they'll melt and block the exhaust under load. The headers add some breathing power but they add a ton of volume. Catted headers are the happy medium in my opinion - that was the happiest I've been with all my cars exhaust tones so far. I wish I could have combined my Borla sports by ford for catback and stainless power catted headers - probably would have been perfect. But again... cats + big power - it's good til it's not.

Wish there were bulletproof cats lol

OP
OP

Mikeextrafast

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
I just don’t want to take the enjoyment out of driving the car by adding loud headers ! Don’t know the route to go
Sponsored