Sponsored

I really hate factory installed strut bolts

18basedGT

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Mustang GT
Did you try putting a little bit of upward force on them with a jack? Just enough to make it neutral.

You might need a BFH/real sledge.
Thank you for the reminder! Yes I did raise it up with a jack last night but I think I raised it too much. I just now raised it maybe only and inch or two up and I was able to wack those suckers off! So for anyone's future reference for me it took: a 4lb hammer, turning the wheel to make the bolts face towards me so I had more room to wack em, putting the nuts on backward and flush with the bolt to increase impact surface area, raising the strut just an inch or two with a jack and a little bit of belief in myself!
Sponsored

ModularKid21

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
‘15 GT
Vehicle Showcase
They can be a pain for sure. I was doing the install on a lift so using a Snap On 32 oz, I set my feet and gave it the ole home run swing from my baseball days. It took a couple swings but they finally gave up. As @wildcatgoal mentioned, if that doesn’t work, it’s time for the air hammer

bootlegger

Enginerd
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
James
Vehicle(s)
Ex 2008 Mustang GT Owner
I'm thinking that if you could preload these bolts with a large C-clamp (that you don't mind beating on the twist-handle end of) and a socket that clears the hex-head, this job might go a little easier. Or maybe fabricate a dedicated clamp of your own design for this very specific purpose.

Norm
We tried this on mine and it didn't work. What finally got it was turning the wheel to point the bolts out more, getting a big hammer, and giving it a scary swing. We also had no luck with an air hammer, though ours was a smaller one. It took us 2 hours on one side to get the bolts out, but once we figured out how much force was needed, the other side only took 5 min.

o-man

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Oscar
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ford Mustang Bullitt
Dang, I must've gotten lucky. I had nary an issue when removing mine.

bootlegger

Enginerd
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
James
Vehicle(s)
Ex 2008 Mustang GT Owner
Dang, I must've gotten lucky. I had nary an issue when removing mine.
Some cars seem to be easier than others. I thought I was going to break something when I was hitting it. That's how hard I was swinging. It could have been a damage issue as well. That same side had a bent end link after only 4k miles and zero track time.

Sponsored

Strokerswild

Shallow and Pedantic
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Dave
Vehicle(s)
Things With Wheels
I've done two S550s, and a 5# sledge made it easy with the right load on the suspension with a jack....

NightmareMoon

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Mustang GT PP
Vehicle Showcase
I'm kind of glad they're so hard to remove. I had a nut back off and the splined bit held the suspension together until I noticed something was wrong.

(the mechanic that torqued it is no longer allowed to work on my cars),

Interceptor

Daily Driver
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 California Special A10
Trying to visualize how air hammer is used to drive a stud out. I have not even been under the fender well so not understanding completely. I understand the BFH exercise.

ModularKid21

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
‘15 GT
Vehicle Showcase
Trying to visualize how air hammer is used to drive a stud out. I have not even been under the fender well so not understanding completely. I understand the BFH exercise.
What I do, in an ideal situation, is use another nut that will thread onto the stud so that you don’t mess up the threads on the factory nut. Start threading the nut on, but not completely, so that the bolt is still recessed into the nut. Put the tip of the air hammer bit into the hole and let it eat. You can do it without threading a nut onto the bolt but it’ll slide off easily, potentially damaging the strut, knuckle, abs harness/sensor, etc