Sponsored

Awesome radar detector

hlh1

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 GT PP1 A10
I love my R3 and it has saved my butt in VA numerous times. I've run VAL 1s for years and it has been the best. I loved the VAL 1 arrows and the unit, but the R3 now has better sensitivity and is immune to the Spectra system, but I miss the arrows. I may have to pick up an R7.
Sponsored

Last edited:

REDLINE

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 Z51 Stingray
I heard the guy responsible for the R3 and R7 just left uniden for Redenso...can't wait to see what they'll come up with in the next few years!

blueovalkid

The Snake Pit
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Clint
Vehicle(s)
08 GT500, 17 GT350
I will be picking up a R7 once they hit....

nordique14

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 GT350 Magnetic Gray (J1601)
This thread inspired me to finally do a mount for my V1. Bought a Blendmount BV1-2000 and the Mirrortaps. The Blemdmount I bought was the original version (off of eBay). New one is BV1-2000R. Newer version has an extra hinge piece to enable it to sit further back. I found the old version to be perfect. Less moving pieces to keep tight.

For the MirrorTap, use the second largest taps. They will fit. Others will be too small and the largest too big. Cannot recall the wire colors but positive is bottom right corner and negative the furthest left wire on the bottom. At least that is what it is in a 2018.

Bonefish

FKNGFST
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
17 Shelby GT350 TY
watching....

Sponsored

CAL Captain

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Bullitt Mustang
Got mine done last night. I had Valentines in my old NSXs but went to a Uniden R3 this time. Already saved me once this past weekend.

I used the super-expensive BlendMount because I like the looks of it. I got the mirror tap done, as well, but the small taps are just barely too small and the bigger ones are too big. Where's that frigging Goldilocks when you need her???

Anyway, I will probably have to change the taps at some point by slightly filing the big ones down but I'm going with what I have for now.

raydog1

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 GT A10
Got mine done last night. I had Valentines in my old NSXs but went to a Uniden R3 this time. Already saved me once this past weekend.

I used the super-expensive BlendMount because I like the looks of it. I got the mirror tap done, as well, but the small taps are just barely too small and the bigger ones are too big. Where's that frigging Goldilocks when you need her???

Anyway, I will probably have to change the taps at some point by slightly filing the big ones down but I'm going with what I have for now.
I tried cramming the big ones in and they just wiggled out after a couple weeks. Then, I actually read the directions and noticed that they advise to start with the small ones. Even though they felt like they were going to wiggle out too, after 6 months, they've never budged.

CAL Captain

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Bullitt Mustang
I tried cramming the big ones in and they just wiggled out after a couple weeks. Then, I actually read the directions and noticed that they advise to start with the small ones. Even though they felt like they were going to wiggle out too, after 6 months, they've never budged.
I hope I get that same result. There's some friction in there, just not very much...

Sponsored

ameapm2000

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 Genesis 2018 GT350

hlh1

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 GT PP1 A10

drummerboy

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'19 GT350
You can be locked in on Radar from a mile away, on a straight and level grade.
Maybe so. But how far will the detector reach out on that same straight and level grade? I've been on that road and can share a short experience.

photo-1495292040232-745a10cd202c.jpg

Right at 15 years ago I picked up a Beltronics RX65 Pro. I see they're still available on Amazon $140, but they were around $350 at the time. It always surprised me how much better it was than the cheaper units I had previous experience with.

Anyway, on a trip between SoCal and Tahoe about 10 years ago it blipped at me while out in the desert on a road like you describe above - a long straight and level grade. There were no cars in front or behind me as far as I could see. I dropped down to the speed limit while it blipped a low level alert every 5-10 seconds over the course of about one mile or so. I was beginning to wonder if it was possible it could be false alerting me out here in the middle of nowhere (the kind of middle of nowhere where you see a billboard that says "WORLD'S BEST BEEF JERKY - 75 MILES" and when you finally reach it an hour later it's a small shack on the side of the highway with absolutely nothing else around for hours) when the blip finally went up to level 2 and sustained. Then over the course of the next mile it steadily increased, blipping faster and faster, and I'm just wondering what in the heck is going on. The blipping was sitting maxxed out for awhile when finally I see a car in the distance, in the other lane, coming towards me. That car was, indeed, the Crown Vic I had expected to see much earlier. It was travelling roughly the same speed as I was, and the distance I travelled between the first blip and when we passed each other was almost exactly 2.5 miles.

It was an extreme circumstance - it was then and remains today the longest distance blip I'd ever picked up at what must have been about 5 miles. But my point is that the little blipbox suction cupped to my windshield was a lifesaver in many, many different scenarios. And I think the R3, Pro M, etc. are probably leaps and bounds ahead of my 15 year old piece of technology. There wasn't a single circumstance where it didn't alert me with plenty of time.

That radar detector's display quit working after maybe 7-8 years of sitting in the dash, baking, and I haven't had the need for a detector in a long time. I've been planning on ordering a new one a few weeks before my GT350 gets here. Haven't been able to decide on a model yet.

Last edited:

drummerboy

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'19 GT350
I love the idea of getting the R7, but those of you with the R3, how annoying are the blind spot false positives? I've seen all of the vortex stuff of youtube, but in the real world I'm wondering if I'd be better off getting the Radenso rather than the R7.
Sponsored