Sponsored

S550 Issues

inectarios

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 RHD Mustang GT
Nasty burning smell in the cabin last night for a few minutes but seems ok today
Was this after continuous high revving of the engine at all? Have you had any work done on the exhaust?

I've had a strange smell after the dealership replaced my resonator (warranty issue) about a year or so ago, especially the first few days after the job was done and then maybe once every now and then if the engine was ran in a "spirited manner" for a little while (presumably causing the exhaust to heat a bit more than usual).

The smell is - according to the dealership - due to an adhesive they used when replacing the resonator. Admittedly, I haven't noticed the smell for months but then again the weather is rather cold these days.

Perhaps something to look into.
Sponsored

Flamesey

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
MY19 Fastback V8 5.0 Race Red White Stripes Custom Pack 2 Magneride Spoiler Ebony
Nope n
Was this after continuous high revving of the engine at all? Have you had any work done on the exhaust?

I've had a strange smell after the dealership replaced my resonator (warranty issue) about a year or so ago, especially the first few days after the job was done and then maybe once every now and then if the engine was ran in a "spirited manner" for a little while (presumably causing the exhaust to heat a bit more than usual).

The smell is - according to the dealership - due to an adhesive they used when replacing the resonator. Admittedly, I haven't noticed the smell for months but then again the weather is rather cold these days.

ormal driving around 2000 revs

Adam83

Yorkshireman.
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Adam
Vehicle(s)
Oxford White 2017 GT

Adhesive?! Have they glued your exhaust on or what?

inectarios

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 RHD Mustang GT
Adhesive?! Have they glued your exhaust on or what?
Ha! I wouldn't be surprised Adam. :-) Nah, from what I understand, they screw-clamped a new resonator back in (as you would for an X-pipe of sorts) but also added some sort of adhesive where the resonator joins the rest of the exhaust system to eliminate any chance of exhaust fume leaks. Which is reasonable. Now, would I prefer to get an entirely new exhaust system? You bet I would but that's Ford for you. In retrospect, I'd say I'm partly to blame for not pressing for that but I was eager to have the car back sooner rather than later.

TimG

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Tim
Vehicle(s)
2016 Mustang GT manual
I would have thought they would use exhaust jointing compound. Smeared on joint before making. It seals & makes removal easier. Stuff I've used had no smell

Sponsored

inectarios

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 RHD Mustang GT
I would have thought they would use exhaust jointing compound. Smeared on joint before making. It seals & makes removal easier. Stuff I've used had no smell
It might as well have been a jointing compound Tim, I honestly don't know. Only relaying what they told me. Now regarding the smell, perhaps what they used was not odorless - at least until it settled anyway since I haven't had the smell back in months.

Tim_

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Lightning blue S550 Coyote convertible
Convertible roof issue with the plastic tonneau caps.

When the plastic caps are fitted they appear to be rubbing through the roof fabricwhich is visible above the doors when the roof is up. See pictures. If your roof is damaged then it’s a new roof under warranty and at least five months in the dealer to do it.

If your roof is not damaged then speak to your dealer for a set of revised tonneau caps, you’ll need to hand over your old ones. The new ones are quite a bit different.
B1C6D442-B7E0-451F-9A40-5A521E6AC1F0.jpeg
96F00C21-7A7D-4BD2-9FF1-EF6915EDADA0.jpeg

Adam83

Yorkshireman.
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Adam
Vehicle(s)
Oxford White 2017 GT
Convertible roof issue with the plastic tonneau caps.

When the plastic caps are fitted they appear to be rubbing through the roof fabricwhich is visible above the doors when the roof is up. See pictures. If your roof is damaged then it’s a new roof under warranty and at least five months in the dealer to do it.

If your roof is not damaged then speak to your dealer for a set of revised tonneau caps, you’ll need to hand over your old ones. The new ones are quite a bit different.
B1C6D442-B7E0-451F-9A40-5A521E6AC1F0.jpeg
96F00C21-7A7D-4BD2-9FF1-EF6915EDADA0.jpeg

Five months at the dealer?! Surely the job only takes a few hours to do and it’s not detrimental to the driving of the car so there’s no need for the car to be there for five months!?

Tim_

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Five months at the dealer?! Surely the job only takes a few hours to do and it’s not detrimental to the driving of the car so there’s no need for the car to be there for five months!?
Yep, 5 months and counting. And it is detrimental to driving the car when they’ve forgot to align the seals correctly, it leaks and then needs a whole new dash fitting because the water has damaged the leather. I’ve refused to accept the car back until it’s fixed, which is something Ford are completely incapable of doing.

Adam83

Yorkshireman.
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Adam
Vehicle(s)
Oxford White 2017 GT
Yep, 5 months and counting. And it is detrimental to driving the car when they’ve forgot to align the seals correctly, it leaks and then needs a whole new dash fitting because the water has damaged the leather. I’ve refused to accept the car back until it’s fixed, which is something Ford are completely incapable of doing.
The dash is just rubberised plastic made to look like leather with moulded fake stitchingso water shouldn’t affect this but not good if the roof is leaking, surely this kind of adjustment only takes a few days at most to sort? I’m going off personal experience of working in a Ford Bodyshop for 18 years now. What has Ford customer relations said or have you simply left it to the dealer to sort?

Sponsored

Tim_

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
The dash is just rubberised plastic made to look like leather with moulded fake stitchingso water shouldn’t affect this but not good if the roof is leaking, surely this kind of adjustment only takes a few days at most to sort? I’m going off personal experience of working in a Ford Bodyshop for 18 years now. What has Ford customer relations said or have you simply left it to the dealer to sort?
The substrate absorbed the water and burst the top material out.

You would think it would be at most 30 hours all in to remove the old roof, fit the new one, adjust and run the diagnostics. There aren’t even any special care points on the work instruction sheet, it’s supposed to bolt right in as a complete assembly.

The dealer keep saying the car is ready but it’s been an endless list of problems, the latest one is the roof won’t even go all the way down because it’s catching on the car somewhere. Customer relations are utterly, utterly useless and seem to think 5 months is an acceptable amount of time.

Adam83

Yorkshireman.
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Adam
Vehicle(s)
Oxford White 2017 GT
The substrate absorbed the water and burst the top material out.

You would think it would be at most 30 hours all in to remove the old roof, fit the new one, adjust and run the diagnostics. There aren’t even any special care points on the work instruction sheet, it’s supposed to bolt right in as a complete assembly.

The dealer keep saying the car is ready but it’s been an endless list of problems, the latest one is the roof won’t even go all the way down because it’s catching on the car somewhere. Customer relations are utterly, utterly useless and seem to think 5 months is an acceptable amount of time.
I’m not usually one for complaining but 5 months is horrific, I think in this case a small message to Mr Andy Barratt the UK ceo of Ford would get this moving a bit quicker. He is on instagram and LinkedIn and is well known for helping customers in situations like this out.

Tim_

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
I’m not usually one for complaining but 5 months is horrific, I think in this case a small message to Mr Andy Barratt the UK ceo of Ford would get this moving a bit quicker. He is on instagram and LinkedIn and is well known for helping customers in situations like this out.
Thanks. I did drop him a line last week so we’ll see what that does. Still waiting on parts (third whole roof fitted to the car, now awaiting the 4th headliner mechanism), I just want my car back and working.

Count Drunkula

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Johnny
Vehicle(s)
Mustang GT
Mine leaked. As in water ingress. Would only do it if the car was rained on, not if you washed it. Turned out to be badly installed grommets in the firewall. Ford changed them and its been dry ever since.

LokiS550

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Jon
Vehicle(s)
2017 S550 5.0
Vehicle Showcase
2017 5.0 GT, engine light came on a few months back and engine had uneven tick over and lumpy on small revs. Took it to Ford under warranty and they reset light and replaced a coilpack. The engine light came back on and so I googled it to death and apparently the inlet manifold has flaps inside for emmisions but are weak so I returned to dealership and told them what I had read and they replaced the inlet manifold under warranty, It's been perfect since.
Sponsored