Sponsored

2019 Mustang WiFi hot spot, why would someone use this?

Holmes

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Mustang GT, 2019 F150 King Ranch
My 2019 Mustang has a WiFi hotspot that works via the car’s wireless provider (who that is or what speed it operates is unknown). Comes with a free trial period. Not sure of the cost after that. Ford seems to think pretty highly of this feature. Not sure why. My IPhone can provide a hotspot. i’m sure Android phones can too. Why would someone get another data plan for the car’s WiFi, if you can already do the same thing on your phone? Maybe i’m not considering all the options or don’t completely understand the purpose of the car’s WiFi hotspot.
Sponsored

Dfeeds

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Dan
Vehicle(s)
1997 Mustang (5.0 HO swap), 2019 Mustang GT PP1
The only thing I can see is that it just does a better job. Your phone's ability to produce a hotspot is affected by its LTE/3g signal. The Mustang may, and probably does, have a much better signal because there's literally more room for a bigger and bettet antenna. The network the car uses may also be less congested, assuming it's dedicated and not leaching off of nearby cell towers at a reduced speed. Then there's also the added benefit that your phone won't be using up its own juice to do so. If it's worth it is up to you.

Ebm

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Guy
Vehicle(s)
'14 GT
A great feature if you travel a lot for work!

Spork3245

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 GT Premium PP1 w/Magneride
Who would use this? Are you kidding? Maybe you have kids that want to stream netflix or whatever from a tablet while you’re driving or simply stream music from your phone without using your data plan?

CAL Captain

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Bullitt Mustang
OK, so I've searched high and low for this feature/setting in my Bullitt. Can anyone point me in the right direction? And am I right that this data plan is for the CAR itself and NOT some link to my iphone?

Sponsored

c-rizzle

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 Explorer Sport
Much more useful in an SUV where you may have a vehicle full of kids.

Pros:
Better signal than your phone
Doesn't use up your phone's limited battery
Not limited by the performance of your phone (running multiple apps, etc.)
If your phone connects to it for data, then your phone will actually conserve power (less power to reach the wifi in your car, than a cell tower thousands of feet away)

Cons:
Costs an extra $10/month

Vernichtung

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Ford
Who would use this? Are you kidding? Maybe you have kids that want to stream netflix or whatever from a tablet while you’re driving or simply stream music from your phone without using your data plan?
This.

swooshdave

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Dave
Vehicle(s)
2019 Mustang GT Premium
Vehicle Showcase
Signed up for the trial. Still can't figure out what the password is...

CAL Captain

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Bullitt Mustang
*waives hand like a Jedi*

The information you seek is in the owners manual.
Thank you; very helpful.

Have you ever tired to pick the Bullitt stuff out of the owner's manual?

Sponsored

racrguy

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Mustang GT
The infotainment system is the same as all of the other Mustangs, there is likely an addendum that came with the car regarding the Bullitt specific things, much like the one I got with my PP2 car.

Edit: to more accurately answer your question, the car becomes a WiFi hotspot that your car connects to for it's data. If you have the FordPass app and your car tied to it, managing the data subscription is as easy as pie, my car is serviced by AT&T.

CAL Captain

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Bullitt Mustang
No, there is no Bullitt addendum. There are a few Bullitt-specific items widely scattered throughout the manual.

As it turns out, I discovered the hotspot may be activated through the FordPass app. This was before your latest post. Not for sure, because I don't see the option there, only a prompt to contact a "guide" who may or may not be able to help me. I also read that I have to have the hotspot installed under the dash because my car may not have it from the factory.

Yes, the manual is a wealth of information. According to it, I may or may not have a car.

michail71

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 GT 401a A10
If you already have AT&T phone service it's about as useful as the back seat. Sync 3 requires a phone with 4G for operation. My Note 8 on AT&T always got better signal than the car did (also AT&T). If you had Verizon it would at least give you backup connectivity.

It would be useful if Sync 3 had actual telematics system like many European cars have. It wold also be useful if it supported Android Auto over WiFi but it doesn't.

Perhaps AT&T threw Ford a bone to put it in?

Bear376

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Steve
Vehicle(s)
2019 EB, 2013 Mustang, 2017 F150SC, 2019 Flex
Vehicle Showcase
The service provider is AT&T and if you have service through them, it may happen that you can work it into your service plan. The hotspot is part of Ford Connect, which is separate of Ford Pass. With Ford Connect which is part of the upgraded premium pkg., the Sync 3 electronics include a cell phone chip. This enables the ability to start/lock/unlock by cell phone feature and monitoring of the vehicle to tell when the oil change is due, fuel status, mileage, etc. Its a nice feature, but not worth the price for the package to me.

CAL Captain

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Bullitt Mustang
If you already have AT&T phone service it's about as useful as the back seat. Sync 3 requires a phone with 4G for operation. My Note 8 on AT&T always got better signal than the car did (also AT&T). If you had Verizon it would at least give you backup connectivity.

It would be useful if Sync 3 had actual telematics system like many European cars have. It wold also be useful if it supported Android Auto over WiFi but it doesn't.

Perhaps AT&T threw Ford a bone to put it in?
Yes, I already have AT&T wireless and this whole thing is becoming far more complicated than it needs to be. I do not have the prompt pages in my Sync system that the manual says I should have and Ford's website "suggests" (but doesn't say) that maybe, perhaps, I have to have a hotspot installed under the dash. The FordPass app tells me I can't use Apple CarPlay while I'm using their app and leads me to believe (but doesn't actually say) that I have to be using the FordPass app to use the hotspot.

To summarize: I've been to several webpages, the infotainment system in my car, and the FordPass app and they all conflict with each other in various ways regarding the hotspot.

So, screw it.

Thank you for your kind reply to cut through all the BS by telling me to stick with my AT&T iPhone for my car. I like clarity. Thank you for providing it to me. :thumbsup:
Sponsored