Can I get Apple Car Play...??

Mustang Trey

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Trey
Vehicle(s)
2016 mustang gt convertible premium
I just got my ‘16 mustang gt convertible premium on 12/29 and it has the 8” touch screen but not navigation. I heard I can upgrade the software to get car play, is that true and how do i do that?
Sponsored

Deleted member 35786

Go to the infotainment thread for all your answers..

Spork3245

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 GT Premium PP1 w/Magneride
I just got my ‘16 mustang gt convertible premium on 12/29 and it has the 8” touch screen but not navigation. I heard I can upgrade the software to get car play, is that true and how do i do that?
For 2016 model year Mustangs you need to install an updated USB port for Apple Carplay IIRC. I think dealerships charge around $300 or so for the installation.

Rod Schneider

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Rod
Vehicle(s)
2016 Mustang EcoBoost
For 2016 model year Mustangs you need to install an updated USB port for Apple Carplay IIRC. I think dealerships charge around $300 or so for the installation.
The P/N for the USB hub is: HU5Z-19A387-A. They go for around $50-$60 on Amazon. Levittown Ford also has them for that price range. It's the USB port that is inside the console storage compartment. Replacement is as simple as popping the old one out, unplugging a few connectors, and pushing the new one in. It plugs right in. If you have the latest software update for Synch3, CarPlay is already included.

fordxgt

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 F150 XLT 5.0L V8
Vehicle Showcase

Sponsored

Wine dude

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Shadow Black GT 350
It’s actually a very easy removal and install, I used a plastic trim removal tool, there is a video in the GT 350 forum.
The sync 3 update isn’t very hard there are videos or instructions as well, u need the correct size usb flash drive a 64 and you will need to format it, download the file and transfer to drive, then it’s plug and play, if I remember correctly couldn’t do it from an apple only a windows computer.
I updated before I changed out the hub, have no clue if the order matters

Timeless

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ram 1500 Limited
Credit card also works if in a pinch.

Sponsored

Rod Schneider

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Rod
Vehicle(s)
2016 Mustang EcoBoost
It’s actually a very easy removal and install, I used a plastic trim removal tool, there is a video in the GT 350 forum.
The sync 3 update isn’t very hard there are videos or instructions as well, u need the correct size usb flash drive a 64 and you will need to format it, download the file and transfer to drive, then it’s plug and play, if I remember correctly couldn’t do it from an apple only a windows computer.
I updated before I changed out the hub, have no clue if the order matters
Hmmmm........ I've done two updates on my Mac, does not have to be a Windows computer........

Pony Driver

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
John
Vehicle(s)
2016 Mustang GT
Just had my Ford dealer update my Sync 3 to version 3 and install a new hub. I have Waze but no Apple CarPlay. I have no idea why. Any ideas?

Cathul

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Peter
Vehicle(s)
Ford Mustang GT
Just had my Ford dealer update my Sync 3 to version 3 and install a new hub. I have Waze but no Apple CarPlay. I have no idea why. Any ideas?
Do you have the CarPlay settings in your Sync3 settings available when your iPhone is plugged in? If yes check if CarPlay is disabled for your iPhone.

Pony Driver

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
John
Vehicle(s)
2016 Mustang GT
Do you have the CarPlay settings in your Sync3 settings available when your iPhone is plugged in? If yes check if CarPlay is disabled for your iPhone.
No I don’t see any indication of CarPlay. I see Waze and if I press the “speak” botton on my wheel I get Siri asking questions. I have no CarPlay user interface available that I can see.

MaskedRacerX

Driver
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
DT
Vehicle(s)
'21_JWS4XE / '21_TM3P
No I don’t see any indication of CarPlay. I see Waze and if I press the “speak” botton on my wheel I get Siri asking questions. I have no CarPlay user interface available that I can see.
OK, a few things (assuming you're up-to-date on iOS, car is on, etc ...)

When you connect your iPhone to the Lighting cable, do you see a charge indicator? That means the hub is at least "working", in terms of being powered.

On your Sync 3, with the iPhone attached, do you see the CP icon on the bottom row of icons and/or if you enter Setting on Sync 3 do you see a CP settings entry (it's on the second page - i.e., you have to swipe once right-to-left)?

Like so (shows both the CP icon and the entry in settings):

upload_2019-1-26_10-26-36.png

At first connection to the headunit, you should get a security prompt on the device/phone confirming you want to register it as a CP device. Then, when you go into settings >> Carplay in Sync 3, you'll see the device name listed - also, when you go into Settings on the phone, settings >> general >> carplay, you'll see the name of the vehicle device listed (I have both a Sync3 and a UConnect for our two cars).
Sponsored