Sponsored

Cobb Accessport v3 question

Interceptor

Daily Driver
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 California Special A10
Trying to understand the turbo system and tuners, please tell me if I understand this correctly.
If I purchase a Cobb tuner through a tuner, example Adam, I can have multiple tunes?
Assume one would be stock.
If what I understand is correct, how quickly can you go from one tune to next?
Sponsored

Hellman109

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 Mustang Ecoboost Convertible (See my garage)
Vehicle Showcase
So, out of the box it will have the Cobb canned tunes (stage 1/2/3 plus a valet mode and IIRC something else). They're all pretty meh, and stage 2/3 are seen as bad.

But then you pay someone like Adam to create a custom tune file for you. That tune is customised to your car, and within the one tune file you can have multiple tunes in it, he always puts in a safe mode tune (bad fuel, etc.) but you can get others, like for different fuel types, valet mode, etc. These can be switched between in like 1-2 seconds, press cancel on cruise control, change the map (the tacho shows which tune slot you're changing to) and you're done, you can also do it through the accessport if its plugged in. You generally dont need to do this much though.

The access port can have multiple tune files which are slow to change between (you should use a battery charger, car has to be in accessory mode, etc.) these are generally for tune revisions, not maps within one tune. EG I currently have like 6 old revisions of tunes from Adam as well as the canned Cobb tunes, but I never load them, just keep on the latest revision.

So in short, tune revisions are slow, but maps within one tune are fast. You shouldn't need to change tune revisions unless your tuner sends you a new revision though.

OP
OP
Interceptor

Interceptor

Daily Driver
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Hey thanks very well explained.
My thinking is to have a real aggressive tune for when I just want to have some fun. Then another very soft tune for everyday commuting. Being able to easily switch from one to the other is great. Also should take some of worry about losing my warranty if a run the soft tune 98% of time.

apx632

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Ecoboost Mustang Stock- 13.64@100 1/4 mile
Hey thanks very well explained.
My thinking is to have a real aggressive tune for when I just want to have some fun. Then another very soft tune for everyday commuting. Being able to easily switch from one to the other is great. Also should take some of worry about losing my warranty if a run the soft tune 98% of time.
Your warranty will be voided the moment you install the cobb on the car in most dealers eyes my friend.

OP
OP
Interceptor

Interceptor

Daily Driver
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Maybe I didn't write clearly enough. I know my warranty will be void.
With a almost stock tune for daily use I was implying that the chances of engine failure from a tuned engine would be a lot less.
And yes I know stock engines break too.

Sponsored

Blue Moon

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Pete
Vehicle(s)
17 Ecoboost Perform Pack Std
I run the Cobb in economy mode about 99% of the time. Cobb has been in business for a while now and they've made their tuner so that you can depend on it and not dread the ecoboom. You can do a lot with the 3 different stages of Cobb's tunes, and then you can get a custom tune if Cobb's don't satisfy you.

apx632

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Ecoboost Mustang Stock- 13.64@100 1/4 mile
Maybe I didn't write clearly enough. I know my warranty will be void.
With a almost stock tune for daily use I was implying that the chances of engine failure from a tuned engine would be a lot less.
And yes I know stock engines break too.
Now that you've cleared that up I get what you mean. Unfortunately no your chances aren't any less. If it's going to happen it'll happen regardless. Just an unfortunate truth.
Sponsored