Sponsored

Winter tyres

hinch

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Sideways
You should try it in an auto like mine, accelerator is just an on or off switch and box has a mind of its own :crackup:
which is why i never trust an auto you lose all control over the car
Sponsored

Supersolo

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Ford Mustang GT
i just drove appropriately for the conditions which i think is where most people (not just mustang owners but most cars) have the issue they don't adjust their driving styles and continue to drive like its perfectly dry and lovely.
Exactly! What style?
During last year's beast from the East, I saw too many folk who were expecting to use their usual stopping distance and cornering speed.
To then freak out and try to recover before it got expensive.
I seems there's a lot of drivers who take no interest in what's happening and conseqently give bad weather no more thought beyond chiselling a tank driver slot from the ice on the windshield.

Still, frozen windshield isn't a problem for us lucky Ford owners, as Ford developed an electrically heated, quick clear, windshield.......:rockon:

Adam83

Yorkshireman.
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Adam
Vehicle(s)
Oxford White 2017 GT
Exactly! What style?
During last year's beast from the East, I saw too many folk who were expecting to use their usual stopping distance and cornering speed.
To then freak out and try to recover before it got expensive.
I seems there's a lot of drivers who take no interest in what's happening and conseqently give bad weather no more thought beyond chiselling a tank driver slot from the ice on the windshield.

Still, frozen windshield isn't a problem for us lucky Ford owners, as Ford developed an electrically heated, quick clear, windshield.......:rockon:
Not on the bloody Mustang they didnā€™t!

Pilgrim/uk

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Brad
Vehicle(s)
GT Yellow
I have to say last year when it snowed I had to drive home from near chesterfield to herts in the mustang and mines an auto and at that time it had pzeros on ,I had no problem at all just used the appropriate throttle and brakes and distances .even when BMW`s and Audi`s where sliding all over the place trying to pull away when traffic came to a standstill the v8 just burbled away at tickover and never slid once trying to pull away or even during driving .tho the perili`s where only a few months old.
I don't think I even put snow mode on .
But people don't pay any attention to conditions they are so used to cars doing all the work for them with abs and various stability controls and traction control its given them a sense either invulnerability or that they are more competent that they really are .I was driving southbound sunday and the roads where slimey and it was close to freezing and people where still racing along in the high eighty`s up each other arse .I think if it wasn't for the modern systems in cars doing a lot of the driving for them now we would see far more bad accidents .
Oh and totally agree with heated screen I had when it was new a 57 plate new shape mondea and it came with heated front screen and the mustang doesn't nearly ten years later a bit of a miss by ford omitting that ,maybe they thought they would be like the classics and put away in the winter lol .

Sponsored

W111BOB

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Bob
Vehicle(s)
Mustang GT 5.0 ORANGUSTANG
Vehicle Showcase
the heated front screen omission is really annoying - even my missus's 8 year old fiesta has a heated front and rear screen in it!

GW65

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Gary
Vehicle(s)
2019 GT auto convertible
the heated front screen omission is really annoying - even my missus's 8 year old fiesta has a heated front and rear screen in it!
I've only ever been a passenger in a car with a heated screen, but found the "diffraction pattern" around headlights very distracting. Do you ever get used to it?

Monty

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 EB
I've only ever been a passenger in a car with a heated screen, but found the "diffraction pattern" around headlights very distracting. Do you ever get used to it?
I've had hire cars for a good week and found the same, didn't like it at all. Everyone I've spoke to, loves them, so presumably it's something you get used too.

On the subjext of winter tyres. I've swapped for the last 8 years and it's definitely beneficial.

For those new to swapping, note that tyres don't particualry like sitting around in the garage for too long. I found they generally needed balancing every time, so presumably they warp in some way during storage. One year I just didn't get around to puting the summer tyres back on (I think it was the year we had snow in April?) and went the whole year on winters. Come the following year, my new-ish summer tyres (Contis) were all ruined! My laziness cost me Ā£500+ worth of new tyres.

SteveS

...Bon Scott Land...
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Steve
Vehicle(s)
Mustang GT Magnetic
Mondeo daily and wife's ST have heated screens and whilst the element is noticeable if you focus on the screen I can't say i've ever noticed any issues with vision. Absolutely love the feature though goodness knows how expensive a heated Mustang screen would be...

W111BOB

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Bob
Vehicle(s)
Mustang GT 5.0 ORANGUSTANG
Vehicle Showcase
driving the Fiesta (deep joy!) with the heated windscreen - you kinda "look through" the elements - and never actually notice its there..

never bothered me in the slightest...

I'd rather drive my Mustang - with an unheated windscreen though - any day! :cwl:

Sponsored

Kristian87

Super Moderator
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Mustang GT
Mondeo daily and wife's ST have heated screens and whilst the element is noticeable if you focus on the screen I can't say i've ever noticed any issues with vision. Absolutely love the feature though goodness knows how expensive a heated Mustang screen would be...
Yes - if you focus on the window you can see them, but looking through you'd never know. Any passenger will only notice if you point it out.

I had one replaced in my fiesta when it cracked one winter, I'm sure the guy said they were about Ā£400 a go. My insurance contribution was Ā£75 rather than the normal Ā£25 from what I remember for the replacement.

TimG

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Tim
Vehicle(s)
2016 Mustang GT manual
I bought a used Jaguar with heated screen, at the time Jag were Ford owned. The elements only worked on passenger side. I had to take a photo from interior after leaving outside to mist up with screen heater on without engine. They believed me then & fixed it. You hardly ever notice the elements.

UNtamed67

Silver Shadow
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
A couple...
Vehicle Showcase
Considering to replace my used Nokians to Michelin Pilot Alpine PA4 or 5 and now I saw they have a 6 but not clear at all what the differences are... anyone?
Sponsored