I need some advice.

Punisher_Coyote

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
AJ
Vehicle(s)
2016 gt premium performance pack
So here's what I'm dealing with. Last year right before I left for deployment I got a cobra jet intake manifold installed on my 2016 car, along with the vmp twin 67mm throttle body, and ford performance cold air intake. I already have catless long tubes, catback exhaust and a tune from one of the reputable companies. Right away I was disappointed in the performance. I did not notice any gain in power at any point in the rpm's. Decided to get the car dynoed and it made 417hp/356tq on a dynojet. Seems really low right? That's what I thought. So I messaged the tuning company to get in some datalogging and we went back and forth for about 2 hours. At the end of it all they basically told me everything was fine. At no point was there any sort of revision sent. So I decided that maybe I was just paranoid and maybe the dyno read low, and maybe my butt dyno was off. So one night me and an intake tune and axleback 2013 gt did a 40 roll, and he beat me by about a car. Before the cobra jet I had run many other coyotes and had pretty good luck against them. But this car beat me like I was stock. I once again asked my tuner to check the logs to see if he could find any reason why it was so low in power. Once again, I'm told nothing is wrong. I've even gone as far to reach out to other tuning companies to check the logs, and no one has gotten back to me. I have a 2.9 whipple ready to install, but I have no interest in putting it on my car if there could be something wrong with my motor, or if I paid $7k for a supercharger for it to make 500hp lol. I'm just at my wits end with trying to find out what's going on. When I reached out to the other tuning company they said it was extremely strange and they get cars with cobra jet set ups to 450whp all day long. So if anyone has any suggestions as to what I should do next, or if anyone has had simliar problems, please let me know. thanks.
Sponsored

CrashOverride

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 Mustang GT
First...Thank you for your service :flag::beer:

I'd approach it differently as the tuning companies are only looking at what the sensors say. I'd do some old school tests. First, yank out all the spark plugs and pull the fuel pump fuse. Get a compression reading for each cylinder to see if you are down on power on one of them. Next, I would throw some brand new plugs on it, then immediately run it HARD - like one pass down a quarter mile, and then pull the plugs and look at them. That will also tell you some things about the way it's running.

Next, I don't know this for sure, but I don't think the ECU knows what the fuel pressure is, so I'd hook up a pressure gauge and see what the fuel pressure is at idle. I doubt they have an adjustable rising-rate pressure regulator...But if it does, then pull the vacuum line to the regulator at idle to simulate going WOT. See what the fuel pressure is. If you are not getting enough pressure because of a dirty filter, then when you go WOT, you are too lean. Usually that means more-but-dangerous power though. If your injectors themselves are dirty, then the spray will not be atomized enough and you will get reduced performance.

I suppose the other question is to see if their dyno runs "low" and if the numbers are SAE corrected. Then again if you tried it out on the street and it was running slow, then the dyno question is a moot point.

Maybe....maybe....you are getting a bad knock reading, and the computer is pulling too much timing when it is not needed? I would expect to see that in the logs, but I could be quite wrong there.

I hope you sort it out. Stay safe out there!