How the Coyote was released into the wild

Bullitt0819

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Bob
Vehicle(s)
2019 Bullitt Mustang
The title of is this page is a little misleading; it's mostly about the creation of the Coyote engine (or its evolution from the Modular engine, if you prefer). It doesn't cover the current Gen 3 engine, which of course has dual injection and the (controversial?) plasma transfer cylinder linings:

https://www.diyford.com/how-to-rebuild-the-ford-5-0-coyote-step-by-step/

ps. Sorry about the cheesy title; I couldn't resist :sunglasses:
Sponsored

NoVaGT

Banned
Banned
Banned
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 PP1 GT Kona
I don't know if this is still true, but years ago I read an article about Ford V-8s, and how they have had the same cylinder-bore spacing for a long, long time. Basically, Ford didn't want to spend the money to buy new block-boring (or casting, or whatever) machines that could allow different bore spacing, so all Ford V-8 engine blocks are made with the same, rather old, machines.

If it is still true, if Ford hasn't gotten new tooling for making their blocks, that could explain the piston-slap issues.

Last edited:

Kep4

Jaeger
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'19 Mustang GT PP1
OP
OP
Bullitt0819

Bullitt0819

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Bob
Vehicle(s)
2019 Bullitt Mustang
One thing I was glad for: the engineers were able to fight off the beancounters in order to get headers instead of cast exhaust manifolds. I've heard the headers can be improved upon, but the one installation I saw had cat-delete, so not street legal.

arghx7

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
50 years Ecoboost
GM has kept the same bore spacing for their small block V8's since the original one in the 1950s.
Sponsored