Still happy you bought a 10 sp auto?

brucelinc

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Bruce
Vehicle(s)
2018 Mustang GT premium A10 (SOLD)
I do agree that if one's highest or perhaps only priority is how quickly the paddles initiate shifts, the 10A is probably not for them.
Sponsored

Arthonon

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Mustang GT
I came from the ZF 8 speed in a 2016 BMW, and it was amazing. Paddle shifters were lighting fast up or down, every time. The only thing that sucked was dropping down a couple gears quickly. I knew there was no way a newer transmission from Ford was gonna compare, and from my test drive and everything I read here I'm glad I skipped it. The slight lag/inconsistency on shifts after you click those paddles would eventually be a real killjoy.
Yes, I believe the paddle shifters are probably it's weakest part, and I rarely use them. There are still many complaints about the transmission that isn't about the paddle shifters, though, and I am still not sure where that's coming from.

I had the chance to try a BMW 440 a few months back, and I don't know which auto trans it had, but it didn't feel very snappy to me. I went looking for more information and found this review, which lines up well with my experience:
https://www.cars.com/research/bmw-440-2017/

One of their bads is "Lazy automatic transmission responses" and it seemed that it would shift at odd times, and it was difficult to know what it was going to do when. I tried all the modes, and sport mode worked best, but it still seemed less smooth than my 10-speed. I didn't use the paddles, so maybe that's what it was really designed for and I wasn't using it as intended. It might have been the horsepower difference to a certain extent as well, making the Mustang feel faster.

chohan

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Erik
Vehicle(s)
'19 GT, 301a, 10r80
I've driven only manuals for 41 years until getting my GT last week. So far, I'm loving the 10R80. Kept in normal and D at the beginning but now I'm hooked on sport+/S.

My only complaint so far is no constant gear indicator unless I switch to S and manual paddle shift. That irks me bad... I want to see how the a10 is shifting even in auto-shift. No digital dash but it's hard to believe I can pull up all that info on the dash but no constant indicator. Unless I'm missing some method?

SpeedRacerXT

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Don
Vehicle(s)
2018 Mustang Ecoboost
I actually thought I'd like paddle shifting better than an auto-stick (like the Tiptronic auto that was in my 2000 Passat), but after using them a bit I really prefer an auto-stick setup. Just seems more intuitive...or maybe I just need to practice using the paddle shifters more. As for the driving modes, Normal is ok for just driving around/interstate cruising, but Sport + is really a blast. Just going from Normal to Sport on the stick is just a convenient way to get a sportier feel. Still haven't used the track modes yet.

redtrack

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 GT PP1 10AT
For those like me, that like the "S" mode, shifting pattern of 1,2,3,4....instead of 1,3,5..., BUT without the constant rev matching downshifting, I installed Lund's tune, which modifies the shifting pattern in the transmission. It feels like should come from factory...
recommended....

Sponsored

geep81

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Glenn
Vehicle(s)
2020 GT Premium
I had the chance to try a BMW 440 a few months back, and I don't know which auto trans it had, but it didn't feel very snappy to me.
I had a M235 - it was tuned more aggressively from the factory than the grandpa mobile non-M 3 & 4 series' I'd get as loaners sometimes. I had a 340 loaner for a while and it was not as nice in the driving characteristics, even though it cost a good bit more than my 2.

mikengail

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Mike
Vehicle(s)
2018 Mustang GT Premium Convertible A10
Have had my '18 GT Premium Convertible A10 for 11k miles and have it in the shop now for the tranny. Don't get me wrong, I like the 10R80 a lot, but mine is an early version (Nov 2017) and some of those have problems. I don't know what the problem with mine is yet; they're still diagnosing. My dealer says they get a lot more 10R80 repairs and replacements than they ever did 6R80. Bad valve bodies and overheating are the main issues for them. They've also found too many under filled with fluid from the factory. Mine slipped a couple of times last week from a dead start in 1st, normal mode, and totally broke down on the way into work yesterday. Wouldn't drive in 3rd, 4th or 5th. Took some deft magic with the paddles in Sport mode to get her back home and then to the service department. I have long tubes, a PMAS airbox and a tune for E70. My dealer didn't care about the mods. Just asked that I reinstall the stock airbox and stock tune to save them the hassle, since they're going to baseline the ECU anyway. They're going to do a combination of loaner cars and rentals to cover the down time. Their transmission section is backed up with 10R80's and MT82's. Yeah, I've got a good dealer and service department, thankfully. Lol...

mikengail

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Mike
Vehicle(s)
The shop has tentatively diagnosed the issue with my 10R80 as one covered by TSB SSM 47361.

No Upshift Past Second Gear Fails To Achieve Third Gear Ratio – Diagnostic Trouble Code (DTC) P0757 And P2701 – 2018 Ford Mustang
oemdtc June 22, 2018 Diagnostic Tips

SSM 47361 – 2018 Mustang – 10R80 – No Upshift Past Second Gear Fails To Achieve Third Gear Ratio – Diagnostic Trouble Code (DTC) P0757 And P2701

Some 2018 Mustang vehicles equipped with a 10R80 transmission may exhibit a concern of no upshift past second gear or not achieving third gear ratio with DTCs P0757 and P2701.

This concern may be caused by a damaged one-way clutch.

To resolve this condition, replace the complete front support assembly (7A130) which includes the one-way clutch as well as any other parts that are found to be damaged.
APPLICABLE VEHICLES
2018 CAR: ZG S550N MUSTANG

They seem to think that they can fix it in a few days. Not an uncommon procedure for them. We shall see. Fingers crossed...

boogs

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Scott
Vehicle(s)
2020 GT PP Auto
"They seem to think that they can fix it in a few days. Not an uncommon procedure for them. We shall see. Fingers crossed..."

That was pretty much the same deal with my 10 speed when it failed. They ended up replacing the transmission, not repairing it.

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Jules
Vehicle(s)
2018 Mustang GT
After several Mustangs I bought a 2011 BMW M3 with the V8 and DCT trans. Quite an excellent car but it lacked what I missed in the Mustang and I wanted to race on weekends 1/4 mile, After a few nasty shocks for service and repairs I traded it for a 18 GT and my first auto. Now has 5k and I love the power but after the M3 DCT this trans is very unimpressive. The speed of a DCT shift is unreal and I now wish I had gone for a manual box

Sponsored

Norm Peterson

corner barstool sitter
Threads
Reaction score
On a corner barstool not too far from I-95
First Name
Norm
Vehicle(s)
'08 GT #85, '19 WRX
After several Mustangs I bought a 2011 BMW M3 with the V8 and DCT trans. Quite an excellent car but it lacked what I missed in the Mustang and I wanted to race on weekends 1/4 mile, After a few nasty shocks for service and repairs I traded it for a 18 GT and my first auto. Now has 5k and I love the power but after the M3 DCT this trans is very unimpressive. The speed of a DCT shift is unreal and I now wish I had gone for a manual box
Get in line for a 2020 GT500. So far, it's DCT only. With huge power.

Plan on bringing lots of $.

Norm

choate

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 GT A10 401A with Active Exhaust

Sig556

White18
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Ed
Vehicle(s)
2020 GT Premium / Rapid Red 10 Speed Auto
I considered the new auto but went with the new improved 6 speed and I still like it....a lot.

mikengail

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Mike
Vehicle(s)
"They seem to think that they can fix it in a few days. Not an uncommon procedure for them. We shall see. Fingers crossed..."

That was pretty much the same deal with my 10 speed when it failed. They ended up replacing the transmission, not repairing it.
Well, got it back today, after two weeks. It wasn't the repair that took so long. It was that they were backed up with other transmission repairs. They followed the TSB SSM procedure requiring the Front Support Assembly replacement and she seems to be back to normal. Inspected everything inside and no other damage or wear noted. Flushed the converter and the cooling lines as part of the procedure. Ignored my mods and covered it all under warranty. The tech said that my headers actually made the removal and re-installation of the 10R80 go much better than usual. One less thing to worry about with my early build '18 now. Lol...

Nomadic

King of Europe
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Current: '19 Mustang GT base 6spd (SOLD),'19 Camaro 1SS A10, '14 VW Jetta SE 1.8
I considered the new auto but went with the new improved 6 speed and I still like it....a lot.
Same here. Test drove 3 A10s. Ended up with a base manual and don’t regret it for a second. Loving it so far.
Sponsored