Sponsored

Jalopnik: What's Causing This Strange 'Typewriter Tick' in the New Ford Mustang Engines

GT Pony

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 GT Premium, Black w/Saddle, 19s, NAV
Our 2015 GT had the tic then at 1,500 miles 2K rattle ford replaced the engine it had scored cylinder walls piston slap ( There words)
20170310_150947.jpg
on # 3- 6-7. They took great care of us did a buy back and put us in a new 17 that we just traded in for a 2019 GT on 1/9/19
There's always some rare case. My point was we don't see a new thread every day talking about 2K RPM rattles and scored cylinders on the Gen2 Coyote like we see for the Gen3 Coyote.
Sponsored

stangman638

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 GT350 Velocity Blue
my 2018 had the tick... didn't matter.. cold or hot .. it ticked... took it to dealer .. long story short they avoided even looking at the car, even though ford told them to inspect lower end and drop oil pan. They don't need authorization to get a new short block, which is why I think many of you that had a new short block probably didn't actually need it.. The dealer did it to appease, since most dealers wont even waste their time tearing it down as I was told and being sent on a wild goose chase from Ford. So it's easier if they say they found something damaged.. In my case they claimed to ford they found metal in my oil filter but never actually checked.. again - just to appease ford to get approved for a long block.

I was allowed to trade back in car for a 2019 GT .. fully loaded. Now this one has the tick only after driving.. Cold start .. no noise.. drive it semi hard, no tick.. drive normal a few miles from my home .. it will have the tick..

Piston slap it is not... you can see some videos and coyotes with real piston slap on youtube... Not even close in sound or where it can be heard..

I would tell you all... just drive your car unless it's eating tons of oil or some other stuff.. I think the few that actually had some real issues just so happened to have the tick.. Hell I bet 90% have the same tick to some extent if not more..

DoomyDoomer

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Dave
Vehicle(s)
2018 Mustang GT
my 2018 had the tick... didn't matter.. cold or hot .. it ticked... took it to dealer .. long story short they avoided even looking at the car, even though ford told them to inspect lower end and drop oil pan. They don't need authorization to get a new short block, which is why I think many of you that had a new short block probably didn't actually need it.. The dealer did it to appease, since most dealers wont even waste their time tearing it down as I was told and being sent on a wild goose chase from Ford. So it's easier if they say they found something damaged.. In my case they claimed to ford they found metal in my oil filter but never actually checked.. again - just to appease ford to get approved for a long block.

I was allowed to trade back in car for a 2019 GT .. fully loaded. Now this one has the tick only after driving.. Cold start .. no noise.. drive it semi hard, no tick.. drive normal a few miles from my home .. it will have the tick..

Piston slap it is not... you can see some videos and coyotes with real piston slap on youtube... Not even close in sound or where it can be heard..

I would tell you all... just drive your car unless it's eating tons of oil or some other stuff.. I think the few that actually had some real issues just so happened to have the tick.. Hell I bet 90% have the same tick to some extent if not more..
So you're saying we should request a trade in for a fully loaded 2019? Sold!

stangman638

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 GT350 Velocity Blue
So you're saying we should request a trade in for a fully loaded 2019? Sold!
lol I got trade in assistance.. ford through in money on top of what dealer was offering.. I still had to pay the difference between car prices

DoomyDoomer

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Dave
Vehicle(s)
2018 Mustang GT
lol I got trade in assistance.. ford through in money on top of what dealer was offering.. I still had to pay the difference between car prices
Ahhh the details. haha still, that's awesome.

Sponsored

stangman638

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 GT350 Velocity Blue
Wouldn't Ford check the engines when they get them back and tear them down to try and find what's causing the metal in the filter to try and fix the problem? I'm pretty sure dealers can't just start swapping motors with out hard evidence.
Only for a long block.... Not a short block..

If ford authorizes a long block and see's the dealer lied, the dealer is paying for that engine. Short blocks are a different story. Ford doesn't need to authorize it and they can just swap it out.

stangman638

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 GT350 Velocity Blue
Someone posted a while back a PDF on what ford wants the mechanics to look for possible engine damage. It was detailed with high quality pics of what was normal wear marks and what was damaged.
What ford wants and what happens are 2 different things. The service dept plays the game, just as they did when they told ford they found metal in my filter, but in reality never even cut it open...

They made up a few things to see if they could get Ford to authorize it, and when Ford asked them to drop the oil pan, they back peddled.

GT Pony

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Someone posted a while back a PDF on what ford wants the mechanics to look for possible engine damage. It was detailed with high quality pics of what was normal wear marks and what was damaged.
I think Cobra Jet posted that Ford PDF. It was a GSB, General Service Bulletin. If I recall correctly it shows cylinder scores/scratches that look like many of the photos posted here, and Ford calls that "normal".

Then it shows abnormal scoring and the cylinder looks destroyed, like the piston siezed in the cylinder.

OP
OP

Schwerin

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Mustang
watch this clip ,
You think with the fact that video is linked in like 10 threads and has its own thread that I have the FIRST comment in, I haven't seen it yet? I'm actually to the point that I'm tired of seeing it linked as if it's some definitive answer.

Sponsored

stangman638

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 GT350 Velocity Blue
watch this clip ,
First livernois had a cam phaser fix.. now another video with a company selling a fix.. I would be more inclined to believe it if the shop wasn't selling anything.

These companies make a killing off this community, some things of which are snake oil.

Livernois Motorsports

Diamond Sponsor
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.livernoismotorsports.com
First Name
S550 HQ
Vehicle(s)
2016 Mustang GT (TVS 2650) (6R80)
I do not believe anyone said they had a for sure fix on the new tick noise. Now on that video even they say why they believe it makes a tick noise. I have said in past posts that we never had one come in that wasn't already failed to try to find real reason. Now on all our shortblock builds we have built never ran into a tick issue so we cannot confirm for sure the cause. Now as for snake oil those phaser repair kits is the best thing ever created for those 5.4 engines. But of course there are some stuff out there that can hurt your performance more then help. Hopefully us or someone else can verify the real reason for the issue. Thanks everyone

GT Pony

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
I do not believe anyone said they had a for sure fix on the new tick noise. Now on that video even they say why they believe it makes a tick noise. I have said in past posts that we never had one come in that wasn't already failed to try to find real reason.
You guys have never had a Gen2 or Gen3 engine come in where you could at least measure the rod side clearance, crank end play and rod/crank bearing clearances to verify if they were within factory specs?

Give me 3 ticking Coyotes and I could measure all that stuff in an afternoon and tell if there was anything going on from clearances out of spec.

Last edited:

DoomyDoomer

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Dave
Vehicle(s)
2018 Mustang GT
My service rep called me this afternoon with an update. Scoring on cylinder #1. Ford has directed to them to replace the short block. Really is a damn shame.

stangman638

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 GT350 Velocity Blue
My service rep called me this afternoon with an update. Scoring on cylinder #1. Ford has directed to them to replace the short block. Really is a damn shame.
Tech probably never even opened it and dealer ordered a short block... dollar to doughnuts
Sponsored