SPRING RATES & DROPS: ALL IN ONE THREAD!!

Dave TBG

Patiently waiting...
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'19 EB 201A, '86 Porsche 944
55BB on my '19 EB without PP. Still, nobody has the rates for EB or EBPP?
I stuck a flashlight up in the front wheel well and could read most of the tag, JR3Z___10-BA which I assume is JR3Z-5310-BA. The "BA" suffix doesn't appear on Levittown's parts list, but my car is a '19 and the latest page is for MY 2018, I suspect that an "A" on the door decal represents an 'A' suffix, "B"="B", etc. "55" may have been used in my case since "BABA" wouldn't fit the FFRR format of the code on the door. I'm going to take another shot at finding the rear spring tag to see if it is indeed a "B" suffix and confirm my suspicion that the format is FFRR. Perhaps a few others could include any visible info from parts markings along with the door decal info.
I also have a theory on the meaning of the suffix, based on info I learned 20 years ago about how Porsche marks their springs. It will have to wait until I have more time, I'm at work now, but a handful of door decals and corresponding part numbers could go a long way to shed light on this.

Radiation Joe

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 EcoBoost PP Manual Recaro
On my 17 ecoboost PP (AAHH), the tag on my right front is FRA and the right rear is RRH.

Last edited:

cyclonetron

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Patrick
Vehicle(s)
2016 Mustang v6
Vehicle Showcase
What shocks and struts would you recommend pairing with Eibachs Pro Kit?

BmacIL

Enginerd
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 Guard GT Base, M/T
Vehicle Showcase
What shocks and struts would you recommend pairing with Eibachs Pro Kit?
Ford Performance Track dampers, Bilstein HD, Steeda adjustable Pro Action or Koni yellows would all work well.

fightermatt

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
matt
Vehicle(s)
2016 Get pp
Having a hard time selecting springs, I had frpp k springs on my s197 I liked them but I can't find what the rate was; so I'm not sure how stiff to go for the s550. It's a daily driver but I want it to be biased toward performance. Anybody know what would be close to k springs performance on the s550, maybe a bit stiffer?

BmacIL

Enginerd
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 Guard GT Base, M/T
Vehicle Showcase
Having a hard time selecting springs, I had frpp k springs on my s197 I liked them but I can't find what the rate was; so I'm not sure how stiff to go for the s550. It's a daily driver but I want it to be biased toward performance. Anybody know what would be close to k springs performance on the s550, maybe a bit stiffer?
What are your requirements for drop? For most with those wants, I would suggest the BMR SP763 springs. For truly handling-focused people, the SP083 springs would be my usual go-to. It's a DD-livable spring setup that makes the car much more response, focused and planted. Those springs really need a better than PP damper setup, though. The SP763 can be used on the stock PP dampers without issue.

fightermatt

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
matt
Vehicle(s)
2016 Get pp
What are your requirements for drop? For most with those wants, I would suggest the BMR SP763 springs. For truly handling-focused people, the SP083 springs would be my usual go-to. It's a DD-livable spring setup that makes the car much more response, focused and planted. Those springs really need a better than PP damper setup, though. The SP763 can be used on the stock PP dampers without issue.
Being that it's a DD, 1" or 1.5" in the front a little less in the back and I'm pairing the springs with konis. Was going to do yellows, but was happy with my oranges on the s197.

BmacIL

Enginerd
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 Guard GT Base, M/T
Vehicle Showcase
Being that it's a DD, 1" or 1.5" in the front a little less in the back and I'm pairing the springs with konis. Was going to do yellows, but was happy with my oranges on the s197.
If you do oranges, I would do the SP763 springs. The S550 doesn't need much drop both to look right nor handle better. Those drop the front 7/8" and rear 1/2". It's very noticeable, but doesn't slam the car or take the geometry to far out of whack. If you do yellows, SP083 handling springs pair very well with them. I'd say that the oranges are not a significant upgrade over your stock PP shocks and struts, if one at all. For base cars they are, but you already have a much more capable setup with the PP. And then there's the FP track which can go with either set of springs very nicely for handling and ride.

fightermatt

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
matt
Vehicle(s)
2016 Get pp
If you do oranges, I would do the SP763 springs. The S550 doesn't need much drop both to look right nor handle better. Those drop the front 7/8" and rear 1/2". It's very noticeable, but doesn't slam the car or take the geometry to far out of whack. If you do yellows, SP083 handling springs pair very well with them. I'd say that the oranges are not a significant upgrade over your stock PP shocks and struts, if one at all. For base cars they are, but you already have a much more capable setup with the PP. And then there's the FP track which can go with either set of springs very nicely for handling and ride.
Don't want to hijack the thread, but the wheel gap in the front is massive, I'd like to get rid of most of that, I think 1" or a tad more will do the trick. The sp083 is significantly stiffer that my pp springs, will it truly be drivable on the road. I want a performance bias but I don't want to go full race car.

BmacIL

Enginerd
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 Guard GT Base, M/T
Vehicle Showcase
Don't want to hijack the thread, but the wheel gap in the front is massive, I'd like to get rid of most of that, I think 1" or a tad more will do the trick. The sp083 is significantly stiffer that my pp springs, will it truly be drivable on the road. I want a performance bias but I don't want to go full race car.
I'd ask all of the following: @Bluemustang @mindys @jbird60 @Demon Coyote @MTECH6G @J.P.B. plus a few more that I'm forgetting. All are primarily street driven, even DD vehicles that do the occasional track/autocross outing.

Racecars/track only street cars with coilovers are sitting at ~2x stiffer (or more) than the SP083s in the front and up to 1.5x stiffer out back.

Last edited:

BmacIL

Enginerd
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 Guard GT Base, M/T
Vehicle Showcase
I'd ask all of the following: @Bluemustang @mindys @jbird60 @Demon Coyote @MTECH6G @J.P.B. plus a few more that I'm forgetting. All are primarily street driven, even DD vehicles that do the occasional track/autocross outing.

Racecars/track only street cars with coilovers are sitting at ~2x stiffer (or more) than the SP083s.
This setup gives you the following relative to road manners. You feel everything: camber changes, bumps, surface quality, BUT it is very controlled and does not transmit much harshness except on BIG bumps. For most road conditions I find it LESS harsh than the stock car, and overall better ride because it's controlled so well. One up, one down. It's a firm car, without a doubt, but not one that beats you up.

fightermatt

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
matt
Vehicle(s)
2016 Get pp
This setup gives you the following relative to road manners. You feel everything: camber changes, bumps, surface quality, BUT it is very controlled and does not transmit much harshness except on BIG bumps. For most road conditions I find it LESS harsh than the stock car, and overall better ride because it's controlled so well. One up, one down. It's a firm car, without a doubt, but not one that beats you up.
Thanks, I'm also considering vogtland they are a good bit stiffer than pp springs, or steeda ultralights.

Coyote Red

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Alan
Vehicle(s)
2016 5.0 Coyote Red
Vehicle Showcase
I did SVE progressive springs and after 10,000 more mile, currently near 49,500, I am buying a 1 piece driveshaft instead of shocks & struts. "Track" FP struts & shocks are what I will eventually buy.

cyclonetron

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Patrick
Vehicle(s)
2016 Mustang v6
Vehicle Showcase
I got off the phone with a Eibach representative. He said that the Eibach Pro-Kit is a linear spring with a front spring rate of 201 lbs, and a rear rate of 800 lbs.

Could we update the spreadsheet with those numbers?

BmacIL

Enginerd
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 Guard GT Base, M/T
Vehicle Showcase
I got off the phone with a Eibach representative. He said that the Eibach Pro-Kit is a linear spring with a front spring rate of 201 lbs, and a rear rate of 800 lbs.

Could we update the spreadsheet with those numbers?
Mine on Pg 9 has that accurate.