Sponsored

2.3 EcoBoost vs. GT from Value POV

Rick B

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Mustang EcoBoost
I read about a forum member doing the 6 cyl ecoboost swap before I was banned from the allfordmustang forum. You can probably go to their site and search for it. I always wondered how that project turned out, and how much it wound up costing him.
Sponsored

arghx7

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
50 years Ecoboost
Turned in my leased Ecoboost 50 years (manual trans) back in 2017, looking for a used GT ('15 to '17) right now. The main thing I didn't like about the Ecoboost was the awful sounding exhaust. I mean it's bad. It really wears on you how terrible it sounds, even compared to other turbo 4 cylinders. Just about everything else was pretty good, although the fuel economy isn't nearly as good as advertised.

tw557

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
16 GT automatic
Turned in my leased Ecoboost 50 years (manual trans) back in 2017, looking for a used GT ('15 to '17) right now. The main thing I didn't like about the Ecoboost was the awful sounding exhaust. I mean it's bad. It really wears on you how terrible it sounds, even compared to other turbo 4 cylinders. Just about everything else was pretty good, although the fuel economy isn't nearly as good as advertised.
My ecoboost came used with a full exhaust on it. I just couldn't deal with the bad sound either. I finally went back to a stock exhaust and much happier because at least it sounds fine just not good or racy. The thing is I'm not all that wild about the coyote sound either though. Yes no comparision what so ever to the ecoboost, but compared to earlier generation v8's the new ones sound just a little too raspy for me. I like the deeper sound of the older ones. And yes, the fuel mileage is not all that its cracked up to be. If I try real hard on an hour trip on roads that never get over 55 mph, I have seen 39 mpg. If I drive a little interstate at 75-80 and drive the back roads like I want I'm averaging 25. So if you want to have some fun and drive in the boost, its not all that great.

I don't have a problem with the fuel mileage or even the extra cost over the ecoboost for a GT. My only gripe is I've grown to like FI roll on, low end torque and the GT just wasn't satisfying for the extra 10000 over the ecoboost. But it is tough to own a mustang that gets such little respect because of it motor. I think that bothers me more then the sound.

arghx7

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
50 years Ecoboost
I'm curious how the active exhaust in the '18 and later GT sounds in person. I've been concerned about the GT's having engine failures, so I think I'm going to stay away from an '18 or '19 until some kind of fix comes out from Ford.

Livernois Motorsports

Diamond Sponsor
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.livernoismotorsports.com
First Name
S550 HQ
Vehicle(s)
2016 Mustang GT (TVS 2650) (6R80)
It really depends on your overall goal with the car also. It maybe 10000$ cheaper now but if you are going for high horsepower numbers in the long run it will be cheaper for the 5.0. Now with just a tune on the ecoboost they make great power. We usually see an increase of 90hp and 90ft/lbs just from our tune and cold air system. So I guess it just depends on end game. My name is Jake if you have any questions message me or call me at 313-561-5500 thanks

Sponsored

tw557

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
16 GT automatic
There sure is plenty to think about when determining your goals with the car for sure. Personally I think I would prefer a fully built ecoboost motor that could handle the boost and pressures that you guys can produce for my daily spirited driving. I would love the low end torque and with the top end still producing some great HP for the turbo motor over a stock GT. All for probably the same price as a GT. But logically it doesn't make a lot of sense especially if we trade in a couple years later. Plus its not an easy task to just get a built motor put into the car. And a supercharged GT is probably too much power to have fun with on the back roads too. Honestly I really feel I would be quite content with one of your 93 OCT tunes. I unfortunately don't trust the ecoboom motors well enough to run a tune. If I were to get a tune it would be from you guys though.

AGM2018

In my opinion, the ecoboost provides a lot of "Bang-For-The-Buck", especially if one is willing to purchase a base model vice a premium model. There is a 2019 base model ecoboost with the 10 Speed Automatic and Performance Package in my area priced at $26K. I contacted the dealer to get a quote for an all inclusive Out-The-Door and On-The-Road price (tax, title, license and dealer fees). The price was a little over $29K...not too bad if one wants an affordable, sleek and better-than-average performing sports car. And with the 10 speed automatic and the Performance Package, it has the only two (in my opinion) "must have" options. But, YMMV...

YoloBathsalts

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 GT - PP1
I sold my 2016 Ecoboost Base in september. Almost FBO, Suspension mods, Tune+. It was my daily and my track car and In terms of 'bang for you buck' it's the hands down best thing on the market. You literally could not do better. Obviously you need a tune bc without one the car is anemic but we all know that. With a tune the car is a remarkable little animal, eager and nimble. I loved my Ecoboost like a child.

If its value based, The Eco wins everytime, For 20-ish K you get an amazing car.

Now that being said. I bought an 18 GT PP1 manual. Its brutal. I cant properly explain the power its just so linear. The thing makes power anywhere and its so abrupt, and angry. For me, this time around I needed something I could daily / track, with a warranty. The GT satisfies that with the PP1. I've got 460hp on tap (420rwhp), Huge friggin brakes, all those little suspension goodies, decent tires. I thought the thing was gonna handle like a pig compared to my Eco but with the PP1 It's just as good. Little nose heavy but I've got the power to just oversteer at will.

BUT, I will go as far to say that the Ecoboost is the most remarkable car I've ever owned. For 23k you get a beast of a car, that somehow also gets great gas mileage. You cannot beat that.

Go On 3

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Andrew
Vehicle(s)
2015 EcoBoost, 1996 GT, 2014 BMW 335i
It really depends on your overall goal with the car also. It maybe 10000$ cheaper now but if you are going for high horsepower numbers in the long run it will be cheaper for the 5.0. Now with just a tune on the ecoboost they make great power. We usually see an increase of 90hp and 90ft/lbs just from our tune and cold air system. So I guess it just depends on end game. My name is Jake if you have any questions message me or call me at 313-561-5500 thanks
Good point. If you're shooting for 600+ HP, the V8 is ultimately going to be the way to go. If you just want a fun 400 - 500hp daily, the EB will do it for a lot less money.
And how great is it that we live in the day and age where we can talk about "fun 400 - 500hp daily drivers"?

Cardude99

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Sam
Vehicle(s)
2018 Ecoboost
Now that I have FBO and tune, I invested a total of $32k in my car and it can hang with GTs all day just fine.

Basically, personal preference is what you should let guide you.
Please tell me that includes the cost of the car.

Sponsored

apx632

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Ecoboost Mustang Stock- 13.64@100 1/4 mile
I'll go through my Mustang list again for the purpose of this thread, and I'll skip the other cars with -

2012 Boss 302
----
2015 GT Premium PP (leather recaros) - bought new
2013 Boss 302 Laguna Seca (The GT PP wasn't enough)
----
2017 Mustang Ecoboost PP
2018 Mustang Ecoboost PP w/101a

I test drove the 18 GT when I had my 17 Ecoboost and was underwhelmed. For my driving - mostly city, sitting in traffic - I wanted the nimbleness of the EB, the GT just felt like a boat in comparison. Now that I have FBO and tune, I invested a total of $32k in my car and it can hang with GTs all day just fine.

Basically, personal preference is what you should let guide you.
Unless your investment involves a tune on e30 or e85 you aren't hanging with a stock 2018+ GT.
This whole conversation honesty is a tad pointless. The ecoboost is there yes. Good cars no doubt, mine has been a good experience. But I only got it because I could not afford a GT. That's literally what the ecoboost is there for. To me there's no way it's a better performance bargain than a GT. You can see that just be looking at track times (both drag and road course). On some road courses there's nearly a 10 second gap between the 2 platforms, and a "tune" and some suspension is not making that up. On a drag strip yeah a tune could get ya caught up to the 2015-2017 cars, and on e30 or e85 you'll start getting into the 2018 territory or compete with bolt-on cars. But for me as long as a GT can be obtained for less than 30k which I can get them for under that where I live, the ecoboost will never been the better "bargain"

tw557

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
16 GT automatic
I will agree to no end that Ford has created a VERY good RACE motor out of the 5.0. Much better for racing. Considering it is normally aspirated, they needed to make some compromises when it comes to daily driving torque. Because of this, the GT is not that great at being powerful in the lower rpms where street driving comes into play most of the time. So for street driving, especially with a tune, the ecoboost can be a heck of a bargain. But yes, not the best option to go full on racing with the ecoboost even though some guys are really getting then down and around the tracks pretty quick.

CurtisH

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Mustang Ecoboost PP, 2011 Edge
My 2018 Ecoboost Premium PP A10 is my daily driver. For my purposes, it’s a better value than the GT would have been. As others have posted, it really is a personal preference issue. I love the GT, but honestly would not have enjoyed it any more than the Ecoboost. I don’t want/need the fastest car on the street. I wanted a fun, reliable car that handled well and was reasonably fast. I’ve got 16,000 miles on my Ecoboost and love driving it.

Redcruzer

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Chris
Vehicle(s)
2015 eco boost premium convertible, Ruby red
Unless your investment involves a tune on e30 or e85 you aren't hanging with a stock 2018+ GT.
This whole conversation honesty is a tad pointless. The ecoboost is there yes. Good cars no doubt, mine has been a good experience. But I only got it because I could not afford a GT. That's literally what the ecoboost is there for. To me there's no way it's a better performance bargain than a GT. You can see that just be looking at track times (both drag and road course). On some road courses there's nearly a 10 second gap between the 2 platforms, and a "tune" and some suspension is not making that up. On a drag strip yeah a tune could get ya caught up to the 2015-2017 cars, and on e30 or e85 you'll start getting into the 2018 territory or compete with bolt-on cars. But for me as long as a GT can be obtained for less than 30k which I can get them for under that where I live, the ecoboost will never been the better "bargain"
Your post indicates you are strictly valuing performance. Fine.

But not everyone checks that box first or puts as much importance on performance as you do.

Sometimes 80 percent of "great" is good enough if other boxes that are important to you can alsio be checked.

Last edited:

apx632

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Ecoboost Mustang Stock- 13.64@100 1/4 mile
I will agree to no end that Ford has created a VERY good RACE motor out of the 5.0. Much better for racing. Considering it is normally aspirated, they needed to make some compromises when it comes to daily driving torque. Because of this, the GT is not that great at being powerful in the lower rpms where street driving comes into play most of the time. So for street driving, especially with a tune, the ecoboost can be a heck of a bargain. But yes, not the best option to go full on racing with the ecoboost even though some guys are really getting then down and around the tracks pretty quick.
Slightly disagree. The v8 feels just fine driving around to me, especially in the 2018+ cars. Never felt like I had to give it any more throttle to do simple manuevers than I do in my ecoboost.
Sponsored