OP

iBookmaster

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Robert
Vehicle(s)
2018 Ruby Red Ecoboost Premium
The taxi test concluded that synthetics are a bunch of BS. I will continue using the MC blend.
Could be or is it? Taxi test said there was no difference in engine wear. That’s good but, was there more sludge in the engine in conventional oil? How often did they change their oil? If both oils were changed at 3000 miles, sludge was probably low on both. If you take it to 5000, 7000 or 10,000, would full synthetic keep a cleaner engine? I plan on doing 4000-5000 mile oil changes in my ecoboost Mustang. I am going to buy full synthetic on the hopes that it might keep the sludge down better than conventional. But, yes, the basic taxi test is impressive for conventional oils!

88lx50

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Mustang GT convertible 6 speed
Could be or is it? Taxi test said there was no difference in engine wear. That’s good but, was there more sludge in the engine in conventional oil? How often did they change their oil? If both oils were changed at 3000 miles, sludge was probably low on both. If you take it to 5000, 7000 or 10,000, would full synthetic keep a cleaner engine? I plan on doing 4000-5000 mile oil changes in my ecoboost Mustang. I am going to buy full synthetic on the hopes that it might keep the sludge down better than conventional. But, yes, the basic taxi test is impressive for conventional oils!
They said they followed regular scheduled maintenance intervals so I would think they went at least 6000 miles between changes. I don't think sludge would be a problem with regular oil as long as it is changed in a timely manner.

GregO

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
S550 GTPP
That Taxi Cab oil test was from 1996. ( 1996 Mustang made 215 HP ) The demands placed on oil in 1996 don't come close to today's demands. This test is like comparing VHS to High Speed Streaming video. No comparison and totally outdated information.
If your running API SN/SN+ that's 90% of the battle, the remaining 10% is static and background noise. The days of Great Grandpa's 3000 miile OCI are long gone.
Most OEM's state 10,000 mile OCI with a few high end brands at 15,000 miile OCI.

Sponsored

88lx50

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Mustang GT convertible 6 speed
That Taxi Cab oil test was from 1996. ( 1996 Mustang made 215 HP ) The demands placed on oil in 1996 don't come close to today's demands. This test is like comparing VHS to High Speed Streaming video. No comparison and totally outdated information.
If your running API SN/SN+ that's 90% of the battle, the remaining 10% is static and background noise. The days of Great Grandpa's 3000 miile OCI are long gone.
Most OEM's state 10,000 mile OCI with a few high end brands at 15,000 miile OCI.
While that oil test is dated, the demands placed on a NYC taxi cab most likely will never be matched by how most of us use our cars, even with a quick trip to the track every now and then. Those cars are abused, and operate for hours on end in hot and cold weather. I think that test still has validity today, and I think as long as the oil used meets manufacturers specs, like the Motorcraft blend, and regular maintenance schedules are followed, there is not much difference in how the two types of oil perform.

GregO

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
S550 GTPP
the demands placed on a NYC taxi cab most likely will never be matched by how most of us use our cars, even with a quick trip to the track every now and then. Those cars are abused, and operate for hours on end in hot and cold weather. I think that test still has validity today,
I respectfully 100% disagree.

Jay-rod427

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 GT C/S
I respectfully 100% disagree.
I disagree as well. Although taxi's don't see too much high rpm/load situations the good thing they have going for them is being at operating temperature for long periods of time. This will make for less sludge, cleaner oil if changed at proper interval. Moisture from short drives is imo #1 oil killer. Short trips and high engine on/off cycles is much harder on the oil and engine.

tom_sprecher

Living Race Car Free
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 GT Premium PP 6MT Race Red
I disagree as well. Although taxi's don't see too much high rpm/load situations the good thing they have going for them is being at operating temperature for long periods of time. This will make for less sludge, cleaner oil if changed at proper interval. Moisture from short drives is imo #1 oil killer. Short trips and high engine on/off cycles is much harder on the oil and engine.
^^^ This. It's the short trips with time to cool down and repeat cycle that kills engines. No time to get the oil up to temp and completely drive the moisture out of the oil.
Sponsored