Sponsored

Ford almost got the gt500 right!

Grabber

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
1972 Mach1 Q code , 1971 Boss 351, 2014 Taurus SHO
I think they got it right, the DCT trans is one hell of a step up and another first for Mustang. As far as the dreaded rotary knob goes, of course they are going to use one from the Ford parts bin, they would be foolish not to. It saves time and money for us and them, BMW and the likes use the same knob for the IDrive in all their cars and no one bitches about that.The electric hand brake likely saves weight and packages easier in the already busy chassis. Sure Ford could have put carbon ceramic brakes, carbon fiber front clip, even wider tires all around, etc but why? there was no need to. The GT350 R has the same average lateral g as the ZL1 1LE, the only reason it beat the Shelby is it has 124 more hp. Now with the new GT500 you have more hp than the ZL1 1LE and a more efficient and faster shifting transmission, essentially a GT350 R with bigger teeth. Something else worth noting is how sweet the GT500 engine is.
It runs the same size supercharger as the 755 hp Corvette ZR1, and 797 hp Redeye Challenger and will have 700+ hp itself, and it does that with 61 less cubic inches and less boost pressure. The Vette uses 14 psi and the Redeye uses 14.5 psi to make those numbers compared to 12 psi for the Shelby. It is going to be interesting indeed!
Sponsored

fiveoboy01

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 LB GT 400A
Never in my life have I read so much crying over a knob as I have here in the GT500 forum.

If you're that uncoordinated that a rotary knob gives you troubles in the parking lot - turn your license in and walk.

hiccup

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 Mustang GT black base PP RECAROS
I wonder if the '15-'18 auto console with automatic shifter could be swapped in there and accommodate the same function of the "KNOB"

Tomster

Beware of idiots
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Tom
Vehicle(s)
'20 RR GT500R(CFTP), 18 OW GT350R Base, '17 AG GT350R Electronics Pack, '97 PG Cobra Convertible
It's a selector switch. Geez

WhiteyDog

WOOF!!!
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'16 GT PP
I'd still easily buy that thing with the knob/dial in it. It reminds me of the dimmer switch/dial in my family room for the lights, and that thing works just fine. I like to mess with it, makes it look like a lightning flash when you turn it up and down real quick. Good times.

Sponsored

nametoshowothers

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
description of cars
The GT500 is the best car i have ever bought, largely due to knobs creating more interior space, it opens up space, i can breathe.:headbang:

Alain

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Alain
Vehicle(s)
2016 Challenger Hellcat / 2019 350R #413
i'm one of those who is hoping Ford puts a manual gear box in this thing at some point.

with that being said, if they only do an automatic then dual clutch is the way to go. and I actually like the knob better than the common shifter. that common shifter looks like shit in a modern muscle car. I hate it on the manual Hellcats.....reminds me of a rental car.

VooDoo387R

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 GT350R & 2020 GT500
Are people that already have a GT350/350R who will be getting a GT500 even care about the DCT? Speaking for myself, I can say that I have no problem with the DCT or the dial. If I want to bang gears, I'll just hop into the GT350R. I know this is kind of a bias opinion, but just my $.02. Hopefully Ford gets their stuff together and adds a manual.

Dusten

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Dusten
Vehicle(s)
2018 Ford Mustang, 2001 Ford Lightning, 1968 Ford Mustang
I can look past the no manual option, at least at launch... but who at ford decided to put a knob for a changing from Park, Reverse, neutral and Drive...

now imagine you pull up to your favorite coffee joint and a parking spot between two cars opens up. You pull up next to the car upfront, and now turn the knob to reverse, give it a little gas, bam turn knob to Drive now and turn the wheel, hit the gas, brake turn wheel and turn knob to reverse etc.. etc.. etc.. I am getting nauseous just thinking of this event happening.

I just cannot look past this imperfection. I will be patiently waiting for a manual, and If its confirmed 100% that there will not be a manual, sorry ford I shall be looking elsewhere.
20190114_232623.jpg
20190114_232623.jpg

Dodge owners, ford gt owners, fusion, escape... Theyve all had it for years.

Sponsored

bwilliams

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Raptor 2017 GT 350R 2017 GT 350(sold) 2014 GT(Sold)
Compared to the launch of the 350 I think they nailed it. There isint really anything left to do to it.

v8hgt

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Nick
Vehicle(s)
Race Red GT PP Coupe
Vehicle Showcase
Forget the knob. Putting the electric parking brake in means good news for the RHD market when the rest of the model range gets it.

Please ford get it right this time and export the GT500

Coyote Red

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Alan
Vehicle(s)
2016 5.0 Coyote Red
Vehicle Showcase
I think they got it just right :like:

Manuals are nice and I hope you get your option, but a dual clutch transmission is also very nice. You're still controlling the shifts, but with paddles instead of a clutch/lever Glad to see them getting into the modern era
^ I really enjoy the "paddles" in my base 16 GT w/ 3.55:1 it's a blast to drive. Learning was easy, I only bounced off the rev limiter twice learning, taught myself, needs 1-piece driveshaft, mine to shift quicker. Enjoy learning, Paddle!

FORDSTANGER

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Richard
Vehicle(s)
2016 GT350 TP
Knob works great on other cars I’ve driven. No, concerns here. I think opinions about the non-lever action shift with three pedals will not be swayed for masters of the shift.

This all comes down to expectations and feel by the driver, each Is different. I’m with CS on this one, why shift if you don’t have to?
A drive with a properly calibrated DCT is phenomenally fun.

If a manual is offered in the future, maybe rev-matching will not have to be after-market this time.

Colleton

Mustang Fan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 GT500, 2017 Edge Sport, 2013 Focus ST
The Ford GT has the same Fusion rotary knob.
I didn't know the GT had the same rotary transmission knob. My '17 Fusion Titanium had one, and it worked very well. Pretty sure it will work just as well in the GT500. It does look a little odd in this kind of car though.
Sponsored